LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 347 users in the forums

Mike Singletary deserves credit for switch back to Alex Smith - PFT

Shop Find 49ers gear online
The Seahawks are one of the worst teams in the league. I am not impressed at all.
  • dj43
Originally posted by horsecore:
Originally posted by dj43:
I have been a pretty vocal critic of Singletary's but he has been making some progress as a coach. He did make a tough decision on QB and it was the correct one. He is also more settled on the sideline. He obviously allowed MJ more latitude on the game plan yesterday.

Small steps perhaps but some progress. I don't think he will be ready for another season here but he is making progress as a HC.

Yes, but is that only because Frank is out?
I am sure that played into it at some level. The fact that I am encouraged by is more Johnson than Sing in that the mix is better, the pass routes are more harmonized and influence each other, subtle more nuanced stuff than big bold choices.

BUT, let's not overlook the fact that Singletary made a choice there as well. Perhaps he was forced or just realized Raye wasn't cutting it but he made the choice to dump him for Johnson. That was not an easy decision since it involved admitting that the OC who most reflected his personal philosophy had to be let go. He had to set aside a certain amount of ego to do that.

I'm not even beginning to make a case for him staying next season...merely pointing out that he appears to be making some progress and deserves recognition for it.
I would give Sing real credit, if he started Alex after the London game.

Alex was plugged in as a desperation move, and now all of a sudden Sing is getting credit for a "great decision"?!?!?! wow
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by FourNine49:
Originally posted by FourNine49:
No, Singletary don't deserve credit for switching back to A. Smith. He didn't have a choice. We played out a third string qb with a limited understanding of the offense. Does anyone seriously think that Troy Smith will take us anywhere once the defense have game films on him with our offense...

Stop with haterade and give credit where it's due. YES he had a choice. He cold have kept on starting Troy and fed us that "each week we move forward and get better" crap but he didn't.

Look I'm not a Sing supporter, but I don't have blinders on he makes a halfway decent decision.

I'm not a hater of Sing. It's an easy decision to make because for anyone watching the game. Troy Smith came in late in the preseason and pretty much have to crammed his little knowledge of our offense just to get on the field. At some point the decision have to be to go back to the guy that knows the offense more and have more options at play calling... like it or not it must be Alex Smith. He's the only qb on the roster that's capable of giving us that. No brainer decision because of the limits that Troy Smith offered.

You just said "He didn't have a choice" and then you say he had to make a decision. Forget Singletary, Alex, and Troy, decisions require someone to make a choice. Plain and simple.

And if you want to talk about not having a choice, he could have kept Troy in there, played David Carr, or brought up Nate from PS. All seem like bogus ideas, right? Well guess what, a decision had to be made.

Sing made a choice to go back to Alex Smith, but it was a 'forced' or predetermined decision because at some point Troy Smith's knowledge runs out and Sing would have to bring back Alex Smith because he gives us more options at the plays call. No one in their right mind except maybe the Troy Smith fans would keep him in there knowing he only gives your offense only a handful of passing plays to run.

It was not forced. No one held a gun to his head and said he had to start Alex.

Anyway, I can tell off of your posts that you aren't going to change your mind about it. Agree to disagree. Let's move on
  • fryet
  • Veteran
No, Singletary don't deserve credit for switching back to A. Smith. He didn't have a choice. We played out a third string qb with a limited understanding of the offense. Does anyone seriously think that Troy Smith will take us anywhere once the defense have game films on him with our offense...

I love how when a person makes a decision and it succeeds that people then assume that the answer was obvious. Let's build the case for Troy starting against Seattle. Alex Smith has a history of turn overs this season. Alex Smith lacks leadership. Alex Smith won't be with the 49ers next year. Troy doesn't turn the ball over much, and the occasional big play can allow the 49ers to win games where the defense plays well. The more Troy plays, the more we can determine if he will be our starting QB next year.

To be honest, I think the only reason why Singletary went back to Troy was because of the Frank Gore injury. Troy would have been still be playing with sub 50% completion rate if Gore was not injured in my opinion. So it was by far not a foregone conclusion that Alex Smith was the right choice.

A more gutsy call would have been to start Alex for the Tampa Bay game. We would most certainly not have been held scoreless in that game if Alex had played. It may have been too soon to rush Alex after his injury, though, so starting Troy for that game and starting Alex the following week would have made a lot of sense. As it was, Singletary decided to wait until after the Green Bay loss before making the switch.
I think it's hilarious that Sing finally makes a good decision, and really it was an easy, logical one...yet the fans were too dumb to even realize it was a good decision because of their love affair with a crappy, short, inaccurate QB. So far the fanbase has been just as embarrassing as the coaching.
Originally posted by binary2nd:
I think it's hilarious that Sing finally makes a good decision, and really it was an easy, logical one...yet the fans were too dumb to even realize it was a good decision because of their love affair with a crappy, short, inaccurate QB. So far the fanbase has been just as embarrassing as the coaching.

No love affair with any of our qbs here, it's just that it's pretty common for a coach on a struggling team with no definite answer at qb to shuffle qbs throughout the season. I'm not ready to give Sing credit for sudden brilliance yet. I'll wait until we face a real team next week to congratulate everyone.
  • dj43
Originally posted by fryet:

I love how when a person makes a decision and it succeeds that people then assume that the answer was obvious. Let's build the case for Troy starting against Seattle. Alex Smith has a history of turn overs this season. Alex Smith lacks leadership. Alex Smith won't be with the 49ers next year. Troy doesn't turn the ball over much, and the occasional big play can allow the 49ers to win games where the defense plays well. The more Troy plays, the more we can determine if he will be our starting QB next year.

To be honest, I think the only reason why Singletary went back to Troy was because of the Frank Gore injury. Troy would have been still be playing with sub 50% completion rate if Gore was not injured in my opinion. So it was by far not a foregone conclusion that Alex Smith was the right choice.

A more gutsy call would have been to start Alex for the Tampa Bay game. We would most certainly not have been held scoreless in that game if Alex had played. It may have been too soon to rush Alex after his injury, though, so starting Troy for that game and starting Alex the following week would have made a lot of sense. As it was, Singletary decided to wait until after the Green Bay loss before making the switch.
Another way to look at it is that Sing wanted to give Troy enough time to be able to demonstrate how fast he could learn. It took a couple more games to find out he was not learning fast enough to give the offense a chance to succeed.

In the meantime, it seems obvious that MJ added his opinion that a change was needed and Sing listened. That constitutes a good decision, IMO, based on circumstances.
Originally posted by LAFortyNinerfan:

No love affair with any of our qbs here, it's just that it's pretty common for a coach on a struggling team with no definite answer at qb to shuffle qbs throughout the season. I'm not ready to give Sing credit for sudden brilliance yet. I'll wait until we face a real team next week to congratulate everyone.

We are playing a team with the same record next week, doesn't that make them just as much a terrible team as the shehawks?
Originally posted by dj43:

Another way to look at it is that Sing wanted to give Troy enough time to be able to demonstrate how fast he could learn. It took a couple more games to find out he was not learning fast enough to give the offense a chance to succeed.

In the meantime, it seems obvious that MJ added his opinion that a change was needed and Sing listened. That constitutes a good decision, IMO, based on circumstances.

It was pretty obvious that going back to Alex was mostly MJ's decision, not Sing's. Sing has made it clear that he consults with his staff before doing anything, particularly on Offense where he has obvious limited knowledge. Honestly, Troy should've been pulled after the Tampa game, if we had a HC that knew anything about offensive football. After that game, it was pretty obvious that Troy had been figured out and he was a lame duck.

Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by LAFortyNinerfan:

We are playing a team with the same record next week, doesn't that make them just as much a terrible team as the shehawks?

Not at all, not at all. But hey, that's just my opinion. You can say Seattle is as good as San Diego if you want. Btw, they don't have the same record.
[ Edited by LAFortyNinerfan on Dec 13, 2010 at 12:41 PM ]

You actually made my case of a no brainer decision on Singletary's part when you mentioned the Gore injury. With Gore out, we in essentially have to lean on the qb more for the passing game. A. Smith give us more options not Troy Smith. You can make the case for Troy Smith to stay in when Gore was still in the lineup but with unproven Anthony Dixon and little used Westbrook, the decision points even more towards A. Smith.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Dec 13, 2010 at 12:46 PM ]
He derserves credit..fine. But he should have put Alex in during the 3rd quarter LAST week vs the Packers...or maybe when we were getting torched by the Bucs. I think Alex would have kept us in the Bucs game...maybe pull out a win. He would have beat the Cardinals...and we'd be at 6-7 right now going into SD. And right about now...ONE game going our way would have been really nice.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
He derserves credit..fine. But he should have put Alex in during the 3rd quarter LAST week vs the Packers...or maybe when we were getting torched by the Bucs. I think Alex would have kept us in the Bucs game...maybe pull out a win. He would have beat the Cardinals...and we'd be at 6-7 right now going into SD. And right about now...ONE game going our way would have been really nice.

He has a 2 and 6 record.. Trust me Alex would not have beat the Packers or Tampa Bay!
  • dj43
Originally posted by fakers23:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:

He has a 2 and 6 record.. Trust me Alex would not have beat the Packers or Tampa Bay!
By continuing to repeat yourself over and over again without acknowledging that you have read and comprehend what other people write, you are hurting your credibility here.
[ Edited by dj43 on Dec 13, 2010 at 1:03 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone