LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 260 users in the forums

Is Crabtree Overrated ?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is Crabtree Overrated ?

Hopefully he stays overrated untill we trade his cryin a$$..
  • ZRF80
Cant accurately assess his talent until we get a real quarterback throwing to him. Will have to wait until next year for that....
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Cant accurately assess his talent until we get a real quarterback throwing to him. Will have to wait until next year for that....

Don’t think you need a pro bowl QB throwing to him to see that he’s got a lot of talent.

I think people put too much into stats he’s not going to drop top 10 numbers based on the type of offense he’s in.

Davis 49 rec Gore 46 Crabs 42
That’s a pretty good mix and if the 9ers didn’t have Davis Crabs would prob be top 10 in receptions.

You’re not going to see Indy stats where Wayne has 90 rec and Garcon has 60 simply because the 9ers run half the plays and don’t pass 50 times a game.
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:
#1. Cant accurately assess his talent until we get a real quarterback throwing to him. Will have to wait until next year for that....

Don’t think you need a pro bowl QB throwing to him to see that he’s got a lot of talent.

#2. I think people put too much into stats he’s not going to drop top 10 numbers based on the type of offense he’s in.

That’s a pretty good mix and if the 9ers didn’t have Davis Crabs would prob be top 10 in receptions.

You’re not going to see Indy stats where Wayne has 90 rec and Garcon has 60 simply because the 9ers run half the plays and don’t pass 50 times a game.

#1. Ignorant comment , and overly simplistic as always. This is why you are a pariah.

#2. - insightful response, I think that the stats are really quite meaningless, it is his play on the field that is most concerning to me. I agree that the offense really has diminished just about everyones numbers though.
  • ZRF80
Originally posted by dtcomposer:
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:
#1. Cant accurately assess his talent until we get a real quarterback throwing to him. Will have to wait until next year for that....

#2. I think people put too much into stats he’s not going to drop top 10 numbers based on the type of offense he’s in.

#1. Ignorant comment , and overly simplistic as always. This is why you are a pariah.

#2. - insightful response, I think that the stats are really quite meaningless, it is his play on the field that is most concerning to me. I agree that the offense really has diminished just about everyones numbers though.

Let me guess. You support Alex Smith, and believe he should be given another chance next season as starter for this club.

We have been able to assess Vernon pretty well
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
I been sayin that all along about Sully. Dude can't coach and relies on what players do in practice to make his weekly decisions about personnel. I could do a better job than that fool. Hell Stokes could do a better job.

Is it any wonder why we're "still looking for a QB"? When Receivers don't get separation consistently, I look at the Opposing team's Defenders. If they are good, that can explain some of the issue. But our Receivers make sh!tpile DBs' look All-Pro. None of them know what a proper head fake is, I rarely see them stutter their step off the LoS to make the Defenders guess, our WR1 is the very example of unpreparedness in every definition of the position. We've signed old aging players that shouldn't have been signed(*ahem* Johnny "MMA lights out" Morton) we've signed solid capable players that rarely if ever saw the field when they were healthy and then sent them packing out of the NFL or to other teams where they play well.

One would think that in the last 6 years that one or two Receivers at the very least would have had 1000 yards and made a name for themselves on this team. It doesn't happen because Sully couldn't coach a 10 year old the 3 basic routes and teach him how to get separation from a Chunky Lineman. I'm sick of that guy. I hope when he leaves that he can't even get a job as a groundskeeper.

~Ceadder

Your credibility if you ever had any just flew out the window. If Sullivan wasn't a good position coach, he wouldn't have lasted as long as he has in the NFL. He would have not been kept by every OC and through 2 HC's on this staff.

Sullivan is not responsible as to which WR's this team is going to draft, he works with the talent he is given. He likely gives his opinions of prospects and free agents however the men above him (OC, HC, GM) have much more power and say on who is going to be added to the roster.

The only tape you see is what we all see, on TV. You don't see game tape, you are not at practice, you are not in the meetings so you cannot sit on your high horse and claim you could do a better job and tell us all he isn't coaching up his players properly. Again the man has made a career out of coaching, has kept his job here through numerous OC's (WR coach has always remained, but we have made changes at QB, RB and OL coach), has earned the respect of the NFL and been claimed as one of the best WR coaches in the game.

Quote:
When the position groups split up before the main part of practice, I went over to where the receivers were stationed to check out Jerry Sullivan's group. What struck me was how Isaac Bruce was hanging on every word Sullivan said on how to run a particular route.

After Sullivan explained the route to the entire group, Bruce approached Sullivan and engaged him in conversation, apparently asking questions about the route's intracacies.

Bruce had a very good day of practice. He got past the secondary to haul in a long TD pass from Alex Smith in 11-on-11 drills.

^ That right there is a great piece of individual evidence that Sully knows what he is talking about and teaching. Bruce, a future NFL HOF WR still feels the need to learn intricacies of routes being run. And that comes straight from Maiocco's mouth.

And let us not forget that Sullivan is the one Crabtree spent the bye week learning from in the classroom and on the field once he signed his rookie contract. Sullivan is who prepared a kid who was expected to see limited snaps into having him ready to START.

You might want to try and place blame where blame goes and not on someone you "assume" is the reason. If you read the beat writers articles, blogs and tweets you'd see that what is said about Sullivan is always in a positive light. There is a reason for that.

SMMFH.

[ Edited by KRS-1 on Dec 16, 2010 at 7:27 AM ]
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
I been sayin that all along about Sully. Dude can't coach and relies on what players do in practice to make his weekly decisions about personnel. I could do a better job than that fool. Hell Stokes could do a better job.

Is it any wonder why we're "still looking for a QB"? When Receivers don't get separation consistently, I look at the Opposing team's Defenders. If they are good, that can explain some of the issue. But our Receivers make sh!tpile DBs' look All-Pro. None of them know what a proper head fake is, I rarely see them stutter their step off the LoS to make the Defenders guess, our WR1 is the very example of unpreparedness in every definition of the position. We've signed old aging players that shouldn't have been signed(*ahem* Johnny "MMA lights out" Morton) we've signed solid capable players that rarely if ever saw the field when they were healthy and then sent them packing out of the NFL or to other teams where they play well.

One would think that in the last 6 years that one or two Receivers at the very least would have had 1000 yards and made a name for themselves on this team. It doesn't happen because Sully couldn't coach a 10 year old the 3 basic routes and teach him how to get separation from a Chunky Lineman. I'm sick of that guy. I hope when he leaves that he can't even get a job as a groundskeeper.

~Ceadder

Your credibility if you ever had any just flew out the window. If Sullivan wasn't a good position coach, he wouldn't have lasted as long as he has in the NFL. He would have not been kept by every OC and through 2 HC's on this staff.

Sullivan is not responsible as to which WR's this team is going to draft, he works with the talent he is given. He likely gives his opinions of prospects and free agents however the men above him (OC, HC, GM) have much more power and say on who is going to be added to the roster.

The only tape you see is what we all see, on TV. You don't see game tape, you are not at practice, you are not in the meetings so you cannot sit on your high horse and claim you could do a better job and tell us all he isn't coaching up his players properly. Again the man has made a career out of coaching, has kept his job here through numerous OC's (WR coach has always remained, but we have made changes at QB, RB and OL coach), has earned the respect of the NFL and been claimed as one of the best WR coaches in the game.

Quote:
When the position groups split up before the main part of practice, I went over to where the receivers were stationed to check out Jerry Sullivan's group. What struck me was how Isaac Bruce was hanging on every word Sullivan said on how to run a particular route.

After Sullivan explained the route to the entire group, Bruce approached Sullivan and engaged him in conversation, apparently asking questions about the route's intracacies.

Bruce had a very good day of practice. He got past the secondary to haul in a long TD pass from Alex Smith in 11-on-11 drills.

^ That right there is a great piece of individual evidence that Sully knows what he is talking about and teaching. Bruce, a future NFL HOF WR still feels the need to learn intricacies of routes being run. And that comes straight from Maiocco's mouth.

And let us not forget that Sullivan is the one Crabtree spent the bye week learning from in the classroom and on the field once he signed his rookie contract. Sullivan is who prepared a kid who was expected to see limited snaps into having him ready to START.

You might want to try and place blame where blame goes and not on someone you "assume" is the reason. If you read the beat writers articles, blogs and tweets you'd see that what is said about Sullivan is always in a positive light. There is a reason for that.

SMMFH.

for this post you will get one of my nsfw Christmas pm's

well done
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
I don't know if he is overrated by the masses. I think he is a solid/good WR with the potential to be very good. It's difficult to tell because looking at the Seattle game, some of the passes to him were terrible by Smith. Then Smith hits him on the hands and he drops it. Just confusing
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
I don't know if he is overrated by the masses. I think he is a solid/good WR with the potential to be very good. It's difficult to tell because looking at the Seattle game, some of the passes to him were terrible by Smith. Then Smith hits him on the hands and he drops it. Just confusing

Exactly. It was like ok 2 bad passes to Crabs. Then later it's like dam he just dropped 2 passes. You get confused as to who you should be upset with that they can't seem to connect.

This is what happens when your QB and your receivers, have very little chemistry. There is very little consistency within this offense, and that hurts everybody; once again, we have no identity on offense.

If you take a look at lets say a Pats offense, or Chargers offense, you can obviously see the consistency in the QB play. Most of the time the receivers know where that ball is going to be, they don't have to question whether the ball is gonna be thrown high, low, behind them, etc. When you constantly have to adjust your position as a receiver, you will have some drops, no matter how great of hands you have. This is a 2nd year receiver, who has missed 2 consecutive years of training camp, and most of the preseason. He has enough things to think about while on the field, last thing you want is to add even more things. IMO, most of the blame can be attributed to Sullivan and Alex Smith. Crabtree's game from what I've seen and read about, is catch it and make plays after the catch. When this is your mindset as a receiver, its kind of hard to do that, when you are rarely hit in stride. He needs an accurate QB, he's not a deep ball, go get it WR.
[ Edited by TheG0RE49er on Dec 16, 2010 at 9:41 AM ]
Originally posted by jreff22:

morgan also does much better when alex plays

How was Davis doing in his 2nd year? or even 3rd year?
[ Edited by TheG0RE49er on Dec 16, 2010 at 9:58 AM ]
  • dj43

That statement disregards what experts like Brian Billick who note that he still runs sloppy routes.
  • dj43
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:

How was Davis doing in his 2nd year? or even 3rd year?
Davis has been very slow to develop his route running and reads. In fact, though better, those are two things he still does not do well. A part of that must go back to coaching unless the conclusion is that he is just not smart enough to absorb the lesson.
Share 49ersWebzone