There are 177 users in the forums

Is Crabtree Overrated ?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is Crabtree Overrated ?

Originally posted by SFGem:
imagine if you just erased all the tds crabs got this year we'd be screwed. he's caught some important tds all year. you guys are probably mad at crabs because he doesn't like alex.

Who does this guy like ? He needs to catch all those balls that hit him in the hands ; and learn to run good routes etc... Crabs simply is not a deep threat at all , if this guy had to fight off double coverages he would have 0 TDs . Crabs is simply a bust .
Originally posted by ads_2006:

Its a matter of who the QB is comfortable with. Remember this was alex's first game back.
but even morgan created some stats....
  • SFGem
  • Veteran
Originally posted by xx49erfanxx:
Originally posted by SFGem:
imagine if you just erased all the tds crabs got this year we'd be screwed. he's caught some important tds all year. you guys are probably mad at crabs because he doesn't like alex.

Who does this guy like ? He needs to catch all those balls that hit him in the hands ; and learn to run good routes etc... Crabs simply is not a deep threat at all , if this guy had to fight off double coverages he would have 0 TDs . Crabs is simply a bust .

i just watched the highlights from the denver and st louis game. crabtree is a beast when you use him right. im a say whats obvious and thats alex doesn't know how to use crabs.
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
Is Crabtree over-rated?

In 21 games he has 79 Receptions for 1,015 Yards and 5 TDs.

Has he dropped some passes that were catchable? Indeed.

He has played basically a full season (16 games) plus a playoff season (4 games if you're lucky) and he has amassed over 1,000 yards and closing in on 100 catches.

If this is "over-rated" then I dunno what to say.....some of us clearly lack patience.

You consider the fact this 23 year old kid didn't play receiver until he was 20 years old yet still destroyed the college statistics, missed all of training camp his rookie year plus the first 6 games of the regular season, missed considerable amount of time this off-season due to a neck injury....its pretty criminal that we're even mentioning him being a "Bust". Pretty criminal indeed.

Perhaps if the Webzone existed in 1985 I'd be adding this response in the "Is Rice Overated?" thread............SMFH
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Who would win a foot race JJ Stokes vs Crabtree.

I say it would be pretty close, probably a tie.
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:

I needed a good laugh.

Now....on a serious note....
Whoever calls him a bust, is just football retarded. Is he a Pro Bowl material yet? No. Can he get there? Of course. He has shown off more skills than any receiver we have had since, TO(?). It's probably going to take him another year to mature even more, he has Vernon Davis personality qualities, of when Vernon was young.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by MntIdaGold:
Crabtree has talent, but his work ethic and professionalism is what I question. Holding out for a contract is acceptable, but missing most of training camp for the second year in a row is simply bad. I think he is an athlete who was head and shoulders above the talent level in college, and still does not realize the his talent is only average in the pros. His route running is very sloppy. He rounds off his cuts and use head fakes when most WR coaches frown upon unnecessary movement. At this point he doesn't play the game fast. Although, I think he has kept up his end of the bargain being an effective blocker on run plays. If he pulls the TC no-show routine next year we will know he is not worth it in the long run.

Agreed. Crabtree has been a clear disappointment this season. His greatest asset coming out of college was supposed to be his hands, but so far, he has shown to be very unreliable - with either Smith at QB.

His route running needs a large improvement. Even more so when it's pointed out on television by commentators. I've been brought down to Earth about Crabtree. At this point, I can't see him as anything more than a possession receiver.

-9fA

ya. he's basically where VD was a couple of years ago.

immature.

but just like VD he can go the right way, or the way of many other you know what WR's.

you're right. The criticism directed towards Crabtree is very much reminiscent of the criticism that was heaped on Davis in the past few years. Only hope is that the light goes on for Crabtree like it did for Davis.

-9fA

One difference is that Davis has some exceptional physical qualities (speed being formost) that other tight ends usually don't have. Crabtree doesn't have nearly those kind of physical advantages when compared to other NFL wide receivers.
[ Edited by BHulman on Dec 15, 2010 at 10:12 AM ]
I think alex wasnt targeting him at all though

Crabtree made some plays when BlackSmith was at qb

However, Vernon davis wasnt.

Its a matter of who the QB is comfortable with. Remember this was alex's first game back.

His name is TROY SMITH not "BlackSmith" do we Niner Nation refer to anyone else by their skin color? Might have been a joke but not cool.

He's not overrated, just not having great season. Jerry had drops. (He's not Jerry)
Lets have patience... he could be Heyward Bey! LoL!
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by evolminos:
I think alex wasnt targeting him at all though

Crabtree made some plays when BlackSmith was at qb

However, Vernon davis wasnt.

His name is TROY SMITH not "BlackSmith" do we Niner Nation refer to anyone else by their skin color? Might have been a joke but not cool.

He's not overrated, just not having great season. Jerry had drops. (He's not Jerry)
Lets have patience... he could be Heyward Bey! LoL!

Its a joke dude, no need to get serious about it. Its how we do things around here, dont take stuff too seriously.

Crabtree is not fast, which frankly I still think he was scared to run his 40 even after he healed because he already knew this (smart on his part) but he is quick and his agility is very good for a 215lb WR. He is pretty good now to the point where other teams usually cover him with their best cover corner for the majority of the game and although he has had his share of drops, the man has had 4 different QB's throw him the ball in 2 years

He is not overrated and ANYBODY, other than Oakland , who needed a WR would have took him if they were in our shoes. He will get better, there is no doubt about that
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Sims84:

Crabtree is not fast, which frankly I still think he was scared to run his 40 even after he healed because he already knew this (smart on his part) but he is quick and his agility is very good for a 215lb WR. He is pretty good now to the point where other teams usually cover him with their best cover corner for the majority of the game and although he has had his share of drops, the man has had 4 different QB's throw him the ball in 2 years

He is not overrated and ANYBODY, other than Oakland , who needed a WR would have took him if they were in our shoes. He will get better, there is no doubt about that

I think he would do good in a WCO style of offense.
Originally posted by RiversideNine84:
Y'all weak, most players have a bad 2nd year.. And hes already doin better than last yr.. He needs a better qb, he doesnt like Alex.. I think he drops the balls on purpose to get alex out of there.. He did better with Troy, not explosive games but go catches at good times.. I will change my mind if he doesnt get any better in the years to come.. We need a new qb, im done with alex.. Even if he wins the rest of these games, hes nothing but fools gold!

So what your saying is the Niners have to have a QB Crabtree likes for him "not to drop the ball on purpose?" He better start looking a little more like Moss or TO to pull that off.
He looks like he has great talent, but needs to work like everyone else at getting better...but it is always hard to say when a reciever is on the 49ers how good they will be. The 49ers passing game has sucked for years now, and their head coach isn;t exactly an advocate for QBs & recievers hooking up more.
bad ball placement.
Share 49ersWebzone