There are 141 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

what would you do as a fan if jed kept singletary beyond this year

Originally posted by strickac:
To be honest, I care more about who our offensive coordinator is going to be.

Why? We've had good offensive coordinators come by only to leave for greener pastures... and leave us with the same inept coach in place. Gimme a coach that knows his x's and o's, can override the OC and/or make the occasional call and usually mentors and molds the OC to his liking.
Originally posted by silkyjohnson:
Originally posted by strickac:
To be honest, I care more about who our offensive coordinator is going to be.

Why? We've had good offensive coordinators come by only to leave for greener pastures... and leave us with the same inept coach in place. Gimme a coach that knows his x's and o's, can override the OC and/or make the occasional call and usually mentors and molds the OC to his liking.

This, please. If Sing has to rely on superb coordinators (assuming they'd even be willing to work under him), he's nothing more than a fat cheerleader. Then when the coordinators leave for greener pastures a la McCarthy and Norv, we'll be stuck in the same boat again.
Originally posted by Envy:
Originally posted by PlasmaHero:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by deminutah:
For anyone who may be waffling due to today's performance, THINK about next year's schedule. If we do not get a HC in that knows X&Os and can utilize the talent we have, we are going to get ass raped.

You dont need a head coach that knows X&Os, just need the coordinators to. If Singletary can get a McDaniels or someone like that next year, we'll have the ability of Singletary to keep the players playing hard and physical with the gameplanning, and strategy of a young hungry offensive schemer.

No. Make it stop. Don't be fooled by one game.

Whether I want Singletary retained, or whether you want him fired, it doesn't really matter, its not in our hands. I'm just not so quick to throw out a head coach whom the players have played hard for all season when other high profile teams had their players turn on their coaches.

If Singletary could let a young OC run the offense without making him play smash mouth, I might agree. But, do you really see him being that flexible? He has not shown that ability so far.

Definitely. I dont think he's as rigid as some claim him to be, every report from within the organization has indicated that strategy and gameplanning has been a group discussion with the coaches, not just Singletary issuing commands from on high. There's not alot you can do as a head coach when your quarterback play has been as horrendous as ours has been, in fact look around the league, there isn't a winning coach anywhere that has had consistently shoddy QB play.

Sorry but whilst there may have been some reports the proof is in the pudding. Until today we have done very little offensively and pretty much collectively also. You are hoping Singletary could adapt but you have no proof that he can.

I also disagree with the Xs and Os. Whilst there may have been some coaches that had little knowledge of it and won games the fact remains that the more successful coaches did so by learning their trade.

Its funny because whenever the offense hasn't done well, its because Singletary is meddling with the offense, and when the offenses has succeeded, then Singletary has stepped away and let the coordinators do his job. Its a ridiculous notion, as well as the notion of basing a coach's offensive strategy off of what he says to the media, but its constantly been fed on the entire season until people are convinced that Singletary hates to pass the ball. Singletary, like any head coach, will do whatever it takes to win the game...and if he was as moronic and rigid as fans thought, players would have long since gave up on him.

As for Xs and Os, lets be honest...I'm sure he knows some Xs and Os.., you dont become a hall of fame linebacker without being a student of the game. He just chooses to allow his coordinators to do their job without interfering.
Suicide bomb
  • Envy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by deminutah:
For anyone who may be waffling due to today's performance, THINK about next year's schedule. If we do not get a HC in that knows X&Os and can utilize the talent we have, we are going to get ass raped.

You dont need a head coach that knows X&Os, just need the coordinators to. If Singletary can get a McDaniels or someone like that next year, we'll have the ability of Singletary to keep the players playing hard and physical with the gameplanning, and strategy of a young hungry offensive schemer.

No. Make it stop. Don't be fooled by one game.

Whether I want Singletary retained, or whether you want him fired, it doesn't really matter, its not in our hands. I'm just not so quick to throw out a head coach whom the players have played hard for all season when other high profile teams had their players turn on their coaches.

If Singletary could let a young OC run the offense without making him play smash mouth, I might agree. But, do you really see him being that flexible? He has not shown that ability so far.

Definitely. I dont think he's as rigid as some claim him to be, every report from within the organization has indicated that strategy and gameplanning has been a group discussion with the coaches, not just Singletary issuing commands from on high. There's not alot you can do as a head coach when your quarterback play has been as horrendous as ours has been, in fact look around the league, there isn't a winning coach anywhere that has had consistently shoddy QB play.

Sorry but whilst there may have been some reports the proof is in the pudding. Until today we have done very little offensively and pretty much collectively also. You are hoping Singletary could adapt but you have no proof that he can.

I also disagree with the Xs and Os. Whilst there may have been some coaches that had little knowledge of it and won games the fact remains that the more successful coaches did so by learning their trade.

Its funny because whenever the offense hasn't done well, its because Singletary is meddling with the offense, and when the offenses has succeeded, then Singletary has stepped away and let the coordinators do his job. Its a ridiculous notion, as well as the notion of basing a coach's offensive strategy off of what he says to the media, but its constantly been fed on the entire season until people are convinced that Singletary hates to pass the ball. Singletary, like any head coach, will do whatever it takes to win the game...and if he was as moronic and rigid as fans thought, players would have long since gave up on him.

As for Xs and Os, lets be honest...I'm sure he knows some Xs and Os.., you dont become a hall of fame linebacker without being a student of the game. He just chooses to allow his coordinators to do their job without interfering.

Okay I'll buy for second that he doesn't meddle with either strategies but answer me this. As a game manager. Do you think he has what it takes? Has anything and I mean anything proved to you that he has the ability to decide the outcome of a game through his ability to make decisions?

There are numerous examples of his absence of football intelligence. He was a great player. A hall of famer. Means nothing in coaching.

Maybe the fact he was so good as a player impresses the hell out of the players. Although I wonder if you could ask them who they would rather play for? Singelatery or Walsh, Seifert, Holmgren, Shanahan etc.

Actually I'm beginning to get a little pissed off with this now. I respect your stance on Singletary because I believe he is a good man. The sort of individual that you would want in your life because of his principles. But we are the San Francisco 49ers. We shouldn't have to put up with the crap.

One win. Just one game and all of a sudden we start believing he can pull a superbowl out of his ass. Its pathetic. This team was the flagship of the NFL for two decades. Now we get giddy with being 5-8 in the worst division in football.