LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 231 users in the forums

The end of Singletarys in one Quote

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Well the other thing I think you actually have to consider is that Troy is a better playaction type of QB whereas Alex is a Shotgun/spread kinda guy. With Frank out The focus is gonna be the passing game and utilizes the weapons we have there with Vernon and Crabtree. The best way to do that is the shotgun/spread which alex is better at. Westbrook is not gonna get alot of touches fair or unfair because of his concussion history. Dixon ran out of a spread offense in collge and is comfortable doing it. It makes sense if this is what they are doing.

I do agree we get outcoached every week and that the comments Sing made showed a severe lack in confidence with Troy. But again we are talking about a guy with no x's and o's experience. I can't wait for the Niners toclean house this offseason.
Originally posted by binary2nd:
Originally posted by NickSh49:
How hard is this to understand...

TROY SMITH DOES NOT KNOW THE ENTIRE PLAYBOOK. ALEX SMITH DOES.

It's not that friggin complicated.

I don't think that's the main issue. They are just sugarcoating Troy's demotion with that statement. Troy is being benched because he's been terrible the last 3 games, it's really not that complicated. While Alex was getting better under MJ, Troy has been getting worse and worse.

You think a limited playbook had nothing to do with Tampa Bay beating us 21-0?
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by binary2nd:
For once I agree with Sing, and I have to say I'm amazed how incompetent fans are. Troy IS limited, and sometimes you can't gamplan around a guy's shortcomings for a long period of time in this league. Not only is he short and lacks pocket presence, but he is wildly inaccurate as well. There is only so much you can do with that in this league, there's a reason why guys like him don't make it.

I'm sure teams figured Alex Smith out ages ago.

One thing is for sure, Alex Smith has not always won against teams we should beat. Troy has yet to be a part of loss vs an "inferior" team.

Exactly. Alex has to be one of the easiest QBs to scheme against. Just take away the deep ball and force him to check it down. Eventually, he'll have a backbreaking INT or fumble...

1-6
3-2

Don't know how hard that is to digest.

For the record, I want Alex to start, I'm just playing Devil's Advocate.

Yah, Alex knows the entire playbook, was in all the mini-camps, gets all the reps, gets the unwavering support of the coach and what do we get? 1-6...

What Sing fails to realize is that the horrific mistakes that Alex makes have less to do with the playbook and more to do with performing the simple, basic things - How many times has put the ball in a bad spot so a receiver had to bail him out? How many check downs and swing passes to Gore were thrown so hard it ricocheted and got picked off? How many overthrows on deep passes do we see on a regular basis?

I mean c'mon, I feel like I'm taking CRAZY PILLS!
  • BobS
  • Veteran

That doesn't speak well for Troy, how can he not learn the 10 plays in the playbook?
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Singletary took over and said (to paraphrase)--we aren't going to try and fool anyone. We are going to play smash mouth, run first football.

That told me all I needed to know about his thinking process as a coach. No other quotes were necessary, but they just continue to define him as a dinosaur not ready to coach in this century. Only Woody Hayes could get away with that attitude, and only when he could attract all the best athletes. When parity came into being he slowly slipped into being a caricature. Now Singletary has tried to reinstate this bizarre, neanderthal approach to football at the 9ers expense.

As much as people admire Singletary as a man, I wonder why he doesn't get more flack for selling out his QBs and other players when things don't go as planned? Sold out Hill, A Smith, and now T Smith. Not "I got your back" but "in your back."

Just my opinion, but I think the reason people don't give him more flack is because of his credentials as a HOF player. I agree he's an absolute 'tool' as a head coach though.
Originally posted by mickey49:

1-6
3-2

Yah, Alex knows the entire playbook, was in all the mini-camps, gets all the reps, gets the unwavering support of the coach and what do we get? 1-6...

What Sing fails to realize is that the horrific mistakes that Alex makes have less to do with the playbook and more to do with performing the simple, basic things - How many times has put the ball in a bad spot so a receiver had to bail him out? How many check downs and swing passes to Gore were thrown so hard it ricocheted and got picked off? How many overthrows on deep passes do we see on a regular basis?

Because the losses against Seattle & Kansas City were on Alex and not Raye?

Because Nate Clements didn't go down on the INT return vs. Atlanta?

Because David Baas snapped the ball over Alex's head vs. New Orleans? And Phillip Adams muffed the key PR?

Because it's Alex's fault he got slammed to the turn vs. Carolina?

C'mon man.
Originally posted by AK49er:
I have visited the site daily for years now and almost never feel it necessary to express my opionion but ready this quote for me was kind of the boiling point for me in regards to singletarys time with the 49ers.

“Troy playing those five games that he’s been able to play, there are more teams that understand that ‘this is really what he does,’” Singletary said. “So you kind of pigeon-hole him there, and kind of hold our offense hostage, which is a situation that you really don’t want to be in. Troy, it’s not fair to him, it’s not fair to our offense. I just feel that right now, Alex, he knows it, he can do it, he’s done it, and I want to give him the opportunity to do it right now.”

Maybe I am reading to much into or confused but the NFL is constantly changing day to day. Your only as good as the adjustments you can make on the fly. This team has constintly been controlled by other teams and out coached on a daily basis.

He is basically stating that now that teams have figured Troy Smith out we are going to take him out? Don't get me wrong he hasnt played the greatest the last couple weeks so I understand that. But When teams figure you out you need to change and adjust your gameplans. Not give in to "Oh no they know what were doing lets change QB's". If

Anyways I'm annoyed and can't wait for next month when this guys is gone.

The problem I have with Sing's explanation is it implies that teams don't have Alex figured out also, which they do. And if the playbook is being really opened up this week you have to ask - why now? Because we're in a hot playoff race?
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
OMG!!! The NFL better watch out! We're gonna open up the playbook with Alex in there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WATCH OUT PATRIOTS, SF IS GUNNING FOR YOU!!

This team will lose 2 out of the next 4, end up ruining the draft position and miss the playoffs...that is 49er football under Sing!
[ Edited by BringBackTO on Dec 9, 2010 at 4:19 PM ]
Alice smith couldn't even help this team beat the panthers seasons done next

Originally posted by mickey49:

1-6
3-2

Because the losses against Seattle & Kansas City were on Alex and not Raye?

Because Nate Clements didn't go down on the INT return vs. Atlanta?

Because David Baas snapped the ball over Alex's head vs. New Orleans? And Phillip Adams muffed the key PR?

Because it's Alex's fault he got slammed to the turn vs. Carolina?

C'mon man.

Please, dude. Spare me. I supported this kid from day one and this year was the last straw.

vs Seattle - overthrows TDs to Morgan and Norris

vs New Orleans - throws two picks

vs Kansas City - yes Raye called a horrible game but Captain Checkdown/Throw it outta bounds was in full form

vs Atlanta - scored on first drive then did nothing the whole game

vs Philly - has another backbreaking turnover and requires tongue lashing from Sing before he finally mans up and starts slingling the ball around.

You wanna keep supporting this guy, that's your prerogative. But I've seen enough evidence to tell me he's NOT the future of this team. And no, a win this against Seattle won't change my mind.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
OMG!!! The NFL better watch out! We're gonna open up the playbook with Alex in there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the NFL knows Alex suxs, I guess the "playbook" will be Alexcuse #304
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

Yes lets run the no huddle roll to the right and throw it out of bounds offense.

• fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:

Yes lets run the no huddle roll to the right and throw it out of bounds offense.

yes captain
We are trying to figure out what is going on inside Singletary's mind. Now THAT is a fruitless exercise.

P.S. While I agree with Alex gives the team the best chance to win, I don't think any QB is going to be successful under Singletary.

The best thing Alex can do is stay a million miles away from Singletary and avoid having any form of communication with him, and unplug the receiver in the helmet.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Dec 9, 2010 at 5:30 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone