There are 93 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The end of Singletarys in one Quote

I have visited the site daily for years now and almost never feel it necessary to express my opionion but ready this quote for me was kind of the boiling point for me in regards to singletarys time with the 49ers.

“Troy playing those five games that he’s been able to play, there are more teams that understand that ‘this is really what he does,’” Singletary said. “So you kind of pigeon-hole him there, and kind of hold our offense hostage, which is a situation that you really don’t want to be in. Troy, it’s not fair to him, it’s not fair to our offense. I just feel that right now, Alex, he knows it, he can do it, he’s done it, and I want to give him the opportunity to do it right now.”

Maybe I am reading to much into or confused but the NFL is constantly changing day to day. Your only as good as the adjustments you can make on the fly. This team has constintly been controlled by other teams and out coached on a daily basis.

He is basically stating that now that teams have figured Troy Smith out we are going to take him out? Don't get me wrong he hasnt played the greatest the last couple weeks so I understand that. But When teams figure you out you need to change and adjust your gameplans. Not give in to "Oh no they know what were doing lets change QB's". If

Anyways I'm annoyed and can't wait for next month when this guys is gone.
  • A-R-S
  • Veteran
Quote:
Troy playing those five games that he’s been able to play, there are more teams that understand that ‘this is really what he does,’” Singletary said. “So you kind of pigeon-hole him there, and kind of hold our offense hostage, which is a situation that you really don’t want to be in. Troy, it’s not fair to him, it’s not fair to our offense.

Mike Singletary just said Troy Smith is holding our offense hostage.

I have run out of words to describe how stupid this man is.
For once I agree with Sing, and I have to say I'm amazed how incompetent fans are. Troy IS limited, and sometimes you can't gamplan around a guy's shortcomings for a long period of time in this league. Not only is he short and lacks pocket presence, but he is wildly inaccurate as well. There is only so much you can do with that in this league, there's a reason why guys like him don't make it.
Originally posted by binary2nd:
For once I agree with Sing, and I have to say I'm amazed how incompetent fans are. Troy IS limited, and sometimes you can't gamplan around a guy's shortcomings for a long period of time in this league. Not only is he short and lacks pocket presence, but he is wildly inaccurate as well. There is only so much you can do with that in this league, there's a reason why guys like him don't make it.

I'm sure teams figured Alex Smith out ages ago.

One thing is for sure, Alex Smith has not always won against teams we should beat. Troy has yet to be a part of loss vs an "inferior" team.
Singletary took over and said (to paraphrase)--we aren't going to try and fool anyone. We are going to play smash mouth, run first football.

That told me all I needed to know about his thinking process as a coach. No other quotes were necessary, but they just continue to define him as a dinosaur not ready to coach in this century. Only Woody Hayes could get away with that attitude, and only when he could attract all the best athletes. When parity came into being he slowly slipped into being a caricature. Now Singletary has tried to reinstate this bizarre, neanderthal approach to football at the 9ers expense.

As much as people admire Singletary as a man, I wonder why he doesn't get more flack for selling out his QBs and other players when things don't go as planned? Sold out Hill, A Smith, and now T Smith. Not "I got your back" but "in your back."
Oh I know that he is limited, I wasnt trying to argue that he isnt. I'm far from a Troy Smith backer. Honestly I hate him and Alex Smith both as QB's. I'm looking basically at Alex as being a 1-6 QB this season. Ill even give him the W against the Panthers if he didn't go out. But has proven to us that he isnt the answer. Im just sick of watching him play. And if the rest of our division wasnt so bad and we werent holding on to this glimpse of hope in making the playoffs Sing would prolly already be gone.

Ultimately, I just didn't like the comment, I just feel that he summed up his lack of coaching abilities in that comment. He has shown that he cant adjust in a 100 other situations. I mean even the players have said it.
He'll be s**t canned soon enough.

I am disappointed the 49ers couldn't put together a creative game plan for Troy. Yet, this has been the biggest problem all year. The coaches simply cannot raise the performance of this team. If anything they are a liability.

Makes me remember a quote from Brett Favre when he was congratulating his teammates making a good play,

"Way to overcome your coaching".

Pretty much the only way the 49ers could win this year...
[ Edited by MntIdaGold on Dec 9, 2010 at 3:07 PM ]
Is this not the same as the thread I created, "They have the ADVANTAGE"?

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=149707&highlight=baybreaker707
How hard is this to understand...

TROY SMITH DOES NOT KNOW THE ENTIRE PLAYBOOK. ALEX SMITH DOES.

It's not that friggin complicated.
Originally posted by NickSh49:

I don't think that's the main issue. They are just sugarcoating Troy's demotion with that statement. Troy is being benched because he's been terrible the last 3 games, it's really not that complicated. While Alex was getting better under MJ, Troy has been getting worse and worse.

Sing is right ... now the other teams look at the film.
Originally posted by NickSh49:

1-6
3-2

Don't know how hard that is to digest.

For the record, I want Alex to start, I'm just playing Devil's Advocate.
Originally posted by Joecool:

I'm sure teams figured Alex Smith out ages ago.

One thing is for sure, Alex Smith has not always won against teams we should beat. Troy has yet to be a part of loss vs an "inferior" team.

Just had to go there Joe.

Couldn't accept the fact that they are correct that Alex gives us the best chance to win because of his knowledge of the playbook allowing more chances to use the spread and audible.

C'mon man!!!!!

OMG!!! The NFL better watch out! We're gonna open up the playbook with Alex in there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!