There are 257 users in the forums

How would you use A.Smith in 2011?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Deodato:
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Trade him? What are you on?

I don't mean this in a mean spirited way but let's look at the facts. IF someone were to trade for him what could we expect to get for him since this season has barely increased any value he would have.

Last year would have been a good year to trade him BECAUSE he was the guy making things happen and the guy that helped Davis tie an NFL position record.

I like Alex but I think at best we'd get a 25th rounder for him based on what has happened this season. Which is less than he's actually worth but more than anyone would want to spend.

Yes I know there is no such round. Just keep that to yourself please. Point is this season does not help his value one bit. And that's the only reason Players leaving a team get traded.

Either re-sign him and have him compete for the job(a REAL competition not some trumped up fake competition) or let him find another team. There will be a few looking for a guy with upside to back up their weak Starters. McNabb and Hasselback for sure cannot take 16 game poundings anymore. Then there are other teams that would take a crack at him simply cause he's cheap and could be their difference maker.

I know that it's hard to believe but that's just the way things are.

Oh and that's if there is a FA period this offseason. NO CBA...

~Ceadder

The original idea was just to obtain something for A.Smith. That was all. We all know he is leaving, and you CONSTANTLY hear people say if he had this and that he would succeed. So there is a market for him. I can see him going to the Cards, because the have NO ONE or the Panthers. But I see him going to a team and starting in 2011 once he gets away from our toxic organization.

Bottom line is it leaves a BAD taste in my mouth to let him walk away with 40m and leave us with 6 wasted years when we might have a chance to get draft picks. Just trying to throw out suggestion to make us better.

Arizona and Carolina will look to the draft, FA and explore other trade possibilities before they explore trading for Alex.

Again....

QB's that can be had possibly :

Matt Hasslebeck
Kerry Collins
Billy Volek
Bruce Gradkowski
Troy Smith
Tavaris Jackson
Seneca Wallace
Matt Moore
Trent Edwards

+ Vince Young, Kevin Kolb, Jake Delhomme (Wallace could possibly resigned if Delhomme is traded or cut), Carson Palmer, Tony Romo & Jimmy Clausen are potential guys who could end up being traded.

Not to mention possibly 4 first round QB's could be in this draft class.

Carolina will likely be picking 1st overall so they could take Andrew Luck (they also have a 2nd round pick in Jimmy Clausen on the roster and a 6th rounder in Tony Pike).

Arizona will likely be picking in the top 7 (and they have 5th round pick John Skelton).

Those teams COULD f**kING CARE LESS about trading with us for Smith when there will be better options in FA and via trade. If Alex hits the open market and they want him they will pursue him otherwise they will explore one of the many other avenues.

This organization will not try to trade Alex. They will not look to obtain a bag of Doritos for him. If and the key word is IF he is brought back it will be to be a member of this roster not to use as a bargaining chip, in the business of the NFL teams DO NOT resign players in the offseason for the sole purpose of trading them.

Just stop already. Forget it. Please for the love of all that is sane. FACE f**kING PALM.

Dude seriously how many f****** times you gotta be proved wrong. At least man up and admit the is a possibility. Dont go all emo kid for someone is actually SUGGESTING an option on the forums instead of shotting ideas and thoughts down with no intelligent input. I bet if I prove team HAVE resigned players to use as chips or others (just like I proved with the draft / trade comment), you will just go emo again. No one can have an opinion except you huh. . .

Some people. . .

Oh by the way:

Matt Hasslebeck - Bad Back

Kerry Collins - One season wonder (is a solid backup tho)

Billy Volek - Seriously . . .

Bruce Gradkowski - Good foundation but needs a quality staff to develop.

Troy Smith - So we dont want him but other do. . . The irony.

Tavaris Jackson - T.Jack is the same as Bruce. Needs a solid staff. I like Joe Webb too.

Seneca Wallace - Please dont . . .

Matt Moore - Do you watch the NFL . . .Stands for Not For Long when you play like Mr.Moore.

Trent Edwards - Not in this lifetime.

Now back to my O R I G I N A L statement. There is CLEARLY still a market for Alex Smith and his services, if there wasn't people wouldn't protect him and his lack of production for 6 years. Everyone holds everyone ELSE accountable but not A.Smith. I only SUGGESTED we use that to our advantage and do what Mr.Walsh taught us and trade for draft picks and young talent. But then again, Mr. Walsh would not have let this show last this long. . .
  • evil
  • Veteran

I don't mean this in a mean spirited way but let's look at the facts. IF someone were to trade for him what could we expect to get for him since this season has barely increased any value he would have.

Last year would have been a good year to trade him BECAUSE he was the guy making things happen and the guy that helped Davis tie an NFL position record.

I like Alex but I think at best we'd get a 25th rounder for him based on what has happened this season. Which is less than he's actually worth but more than anyone would want to spend.

Yes I know there is no such round. Just keep that to yourself please. Point is this season does not help his value one bit. And that's the only reason Players leaving a team get traded.

Either re-sign him and have him compete for the job(a REAL competition not some trumped up fake competition) or let him find another team. There will be a few looking for a guy with upside to back up their weak Starters. McNabb and Hasselback for sure cannot take 16 game poundings anymore. Then there are other teams that would take a crack at him simply cause he's cheap and could be their difference maker.

~Ceadder

The original idea was just to obtain something for A.Smith. That was all. We all know he is leaving, and you CONSTANTLY hear people say if he had this and that he would succeed. So there is a market for him. I can see him going to the Cards, because the have NO ONE or the Panthers. But I see him going to a team and starting in 2011 once he gets away from our toxic organization.

Bottom line is it leaves a BAD taste in my mouth to let him walk away with 40m and leave us with 6 wasted years when we might have a chance to get draft picks. Just trying to throw out suggestion to make us better.

Arizona and Carolina will look to the draft, FA and explore other trade possibilities before they explore trading for Alex.

Again....

Matt Hasslebeck
Kerry Collins
Billy Volek
Bruce Gradkowski
Troy Smith
Tavaris Jackson
Seneca Wallace
Matt Moore
Trent Edwards

+ Vince Young, Kevin Kolb, Jake Delhomme (Wallace could possibly resigned if Delhomme is traded or cut), Carson Palmer, Tony Romo & Jimmy Clausen are potential guys who could end up being traded.

Carolina will likely be picking 1st overall so they could take Andrew Luck (they also have a 2nd round pick in Jimmy Clausen on the roster and a 6th rounder in Tony Pike).

Arizona will likely be picking in the top 7 (and they have 5th round pick John Skelton).

Those teams COULD f**kING CARE LESS about trading with us for Smith when there will be better options in FA and via trade. If Alex hits the open market and they want him they will pursue him otherwise they will explore one of the many other avenues.

This organization will not try to trade Alex. They will not look to obtain a bag of Doritos for him. If and the key word is IF he is brought back it will be to be a member of this roster not to use as a bargaining chip, in the business of the NFL teams DO NOT resign players in the offseason for the sole purpose of trading them.

Just stop already. Forget it. Please for the love of all that is sane. FACE f**kING PALM.

Dude seriously how many f****** times you gotta be proved wrong. At least man up and admit the is a possibility. Dont go all emo kid for someone is actually SUGGESTING an option on the forums instead of shotting ideas and thoughts down with no intelligent input. I bet if I prove team HAVE resigned players to use as chips or others (just like I proved with the draft / trade comment), you will just go emo again. No one can have an opinion except you huh. . .

Some people. . .

Oh by the way:

Tavaris Jackson - T.Jack is the same as Bruce. Needs a solid staff. I like Joe Webb too.

Matt Moore - Do you watch the NFL . . .Stands for Not For Long when you play like Mr.Moore.

Now back to my O R I G I N A L statement. There is CLEARLY still a market for Alex Smith and his services, if there wasn't people wouldn't protect him and his lack of production for 6 years. Everyone holds everyone ELSE accountable but not A.Smith. I only SUGGESTED we use that to our advantage and do what Mr.Walsh taught us and trade for draft picks and young talent. But then again, Mr. Walsh would not have let this show last this long. . .

There is clearly a market for everyone of the above listed QB's. Thus why they are all employed and will be going to TC for somebody somewhere next year to compete.

Hasslebeck, Collins & Volek are all good vets for a team drafting a rookie to mentor the young QB.

Gradkowski has been in the league 1 year less than Alex.

Troy Smith could still be a 49er next year, it will all depend on the HC. If not he'll get a chance elsewhere to be a backup at the least. Trent Edwards likely the same, will be competing to be a backup. If Alex could still develop so could both of those guys.

Matt Moore will likely be brought in somewhere as well, maybe a chance to start over a rookie somewhere. He had flashed some ability in Carolina when he stepped in for Delhomme, and the Panthers offensive staff has done a poor job. Jimmy Clausen could also be a possibility for somebody if Carolina drafts Luck.

Seneca Wallace/Jake Delhomme one will likely be a Brown the other a mentor to a young rookie. Wallace is well versed in the WCO.

T-Jack will get his chance as well. So will VY unless the Titans dump Fisher then he'll remain with them.

Kevin Kolb, Carson Palmer, Tony Romo may be wearing different uni's next year + there are four 1st round draft possibilities should they all declare. Arizona will be in position to draft one of them.

Alex Smith's market will be in free agency, he may not even want to resign here. Oh wait...let's use the franchise tag right ?

Why would he want to come back to a city where the fans no longer desire him ?

~Ceadder

Again....

Matt Hasslebeck
Kerry Collins
Billy Volek
Bruce Gradkowski
Troy Smith
Tavaris Jackson
Seneca Wallace
Matt Moore
Trent Edwards

Some people. . .

Oh by the way:

There is clearly a market for everyone of the above listed QB's. Thus why they are all employed and will be going to TC for somebody somewhere next year to compete.

Hasslebeck, Collins & Volek are all good vets for a team drafting a rookie to mentor the young QB.

Troy Smith could still be a 49er next year, it will all depend on the HC. If not he'll get a chance elsewhere to be a backup at the least. Trent Edwards likely the same, will be competing to be a backup. If Alex could still develop so could both of those guys.

Matt Moore will likely be brought in somewhere as well, maybe a chance to start over a rookie somewhere. He had flashed some ability in Carolina when he stepped in for Delhomme, and the Panthers offensive staff has done a poor job. Jimmy Clausen could also be a possibility for somebody if Carolina drafts Luck.

Seneca Wallace/Jake Delhomme one will likely be a Brown the other a mentor to a young rookie. Wallace is well versed in the WCO.

T-Jack will get his chance as well. So will VY unless the Titans dump Fisher then he'll remain with them.

Kevin Kolb, Carson Palmer, Tony Romo may be wearing different uni's next year + there are four 1st round draft possibilities should they all declare. Arizona will be in position to draft one of them.

Alex Smith's market will be in free agency, he may not even want to resign here. Oh wait...let's use the franchise tag right ?

Q: Alex Smith's market will be in free agency, he may not even want to resign here. Oh wait...let's use the franchise tag right ?
A: Yea cause if we did (which we wont, because of money and other reasons and I already admitted you was right on that call) he would have a choice. . . Right.

A: Why would he want to come back to a city where the fans no longer desire him ?
Q: Oh you mean like two years ago when he resigned for less money. . . And I higher doubt that there was a big please Alex come back and save us feeling at that time. . .
  • evil
  • Veteran

~Ceadder

Again....

Matt Hasslebeck
Kerry Collins
Billy Volek
Bruce Gradkowski
Troy Smith
Tavaris Jackson
Seneca Wallace
Matt Moore
Trent Edwards

Some people. . .

Oh by the way:

Q: Alex Smith's market will be in free agency, he may not even want to resign here. Oh wait...let's use the franchise tag right ?
A: Yea cause if we did (which we wont, because of money and other reasons and I already admitted you was right on that call) he would have a choice. . . Right.

A: Why would he want to come back to a city where the fans no longer desire him ?
Q: Oh you mean like two years ago when he resigned for less money. . . And I higher doubt that there was a big please Alex come back and save us feeling at that time
. . .

He didn't resign, he restructured. 6 years in San Fran now, not 4. Doubtful he wants to come back to this franchise now. It was a different story then.
  • evil
  • Veteran
[ Edited by KRS-1 on Dec 9, 2010 at 7:51 PM ]
Who would desire a robot of a QB? Lock this thread please.
Trade bait?
Cup holder
An Aaron Rodgers Jersey
I would like to see the 49ers tag him

.......breathe.............breathe......

Damn! First some guy wants to get "banged out" by two dudes in another thread and now this! I've been laughing all night!

I know there will be a number of teams looking for QBs but I do like the idea of keeping Troy Smith around for another year to learn the system (whatever that maybe) and going after a Vet QB like McNabb, Kitna, Palmer, etc. Or trade for Kolb and make him our future QB. Because as we know even if you draft a young QB you just never know if they're going to work out.

At least with Kolb you know what you get.

Then draft someone to sit for a year and learn from teh veteran QB and learn the system. We've got the talent now to compete for the NFC West and beyond so let's go for it.

fyi, Siging McNabb and reuniting him with Westbrook sounds exciting. Alot of NcNabb's numbers are because of a lack of talent around him and a young/inexperienced OC.
Share 49ersWebzone