LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 237 users in the forums

How would you use A.Smith in 2011?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Pick6:
Originally posted by endz0ne:
Badly

i really cant believe this made 6 pages.

Alex and the 9ers will both be better off with him somewhere else. IF you were going to trade him, you shoulda already did it. He WILL become an UFA and will go somewhere else. The ony thing we will get in return is the void of ALex Smith threads in WZ.

and the luxury of watching him succeed somewhere else wondering why he couldn't do that here.
Trade him? What are you on?

I don't mean this in a mean spirited way but let's look at the facts. IF someone were to trade for him what could we expect to get for him since this season has barely increased any value he would have.

Last year would have been a good year to trade him BECAUSE he was the guy making things happen and the guy that helped Davis tie an NFL position record.

I like Alex but I think at best we'd get a 25th rounder for him based on what has happened this season. Which is less than he's actually worth but more than anyone would want to spend.

Yes I know there is no such round. Just keep that to yourself please. Point is this season does not help his value one bit. And that's the only reason Players leaving a team get traded.

Either re-sign him and have him compete for the job(a REAL competition not some trumped up fake competition) or let him find another team. There will be a few looking for a guy with upside to back up their weak Starters. McNabb and Hasselback for sure cannot take 16 game poundings anymore. Then there are other teams that would take a crack at him simply cause he's cheap and could be their difference maker.

I know that it's hard to believe but that's just the way things are.

Oh and that's if there is a FA period this offseason. NO CBA...

~Ceadder
Originally posted by Ceadderman:

I don't mean this in a mean spirited way but let's look at the facts. IF someone were to trade for him what could we expect to get for him since this season has barely increased any value he would have.

Last year would have been a good year to trade him BECAUSE he was the guy making things happen and the guy that helped Davis tie an NFL position record.

I like Alex but I think at best we'd get a 25th rounder for him based on what has happened this season. Which is less than he's actually worth but more than anyone would want to spend.

Yes I know there is no such round. Just keep that to yourself please. Point is this season does not help his value one bit. And that's the only reason Players leaving a team get traded.

Either re-sign him and have him compete for the job(a REAL competition not some trumped up fake competition) or let him find another team. There will be a few looking for a guy with upside to back up their weak Starters. McNabb and Hasselback for sure cannot take 16 game poundings anymore. Then there are other teams that would take a crack at him simply cause he's cheap and could be their difference maker.

~Ceadder

The original idea was just to obtain something for A.Smith. That was all. We all know he is leaving, and you CONSTANTLY hear people say if he had this and that he would succeed. So there is a market for him. I can see him going to the Cards, because the have NO ONE or the Panthers. But I see him going to a team and starting in 2011 once he gets away from our toxic organization.

Bottom line is it leaves a BAD taste in my mouth to let him walk away with 40m and leave us with 6 wasted years when we might have a chance to get draft picks. Just trying to throw out suggestion to make us better.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Deodato:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:

~Ceadder

The original idea was just to obtain something for A.Smith. That was all. We all know he is leaving, and you CONSTANTLY hear people say if he had this and that he would succeed. So there is a market for him. I can see him going to the Cards, because the have NO ONE or the Panthers. But I see him going to a team and starting in 2011 once he gets away from our toxic organization.

Bottom line is it leaves a BAD taste in my mouth to let him walk away with 40m and leave us with 6 wasted years when we might have a chance to get draft picks. Just trying to throw out suggestion to make us better.

Arizona and Carolina will look to the draft, FA and explore other trade possibilities before they explore trading for Alex.

Again....

QB's that can be had possibly :

Matt Hasslebeck
Kerry Collins
Billy Volek
Bruce Gradkowski
Troy Smith
Tavaris Jackson
Seneca Wallace
Matt Moore
Trent Edwards

+ Vince Young, Kevin Kolb, Jake Delhomme (Wallace could possibly resigned if Delhomme is traded or cut), Carson Palmer, Tony Romo & Jimmy Clausen are potential guys who could end up being traded.

Not to mention possibly 4 first round QB's could be in this draft class.

Carolina will likely be picking 1st overall so they could take Andrew Luck (they also have a 2nd round pick in Jimmy Clausen on the roster and a 6th rounder in Tony Pike).

Arizona will likely be picking in the top 7 (and they have 5th round pick John Skelton).

Those teams COULD f**kING CARE LESS about trading with us for Smith when there will be better options in FA and via trade. If Alex hits the open market and they want him they will pursue him otherwise they will explore one of the many other avenues.

This organization will not try to trade Alex. They will not look to obtain a bag of Doritos for him. If and the key word is IF he is brought back it will be to be a member of this roster not to use as a bargaining chip, in the business of the NFL teams DO NOT resign players in the offseason for the sole purpose of trading them.

Just stop already. Forget it. Please for the love of all that is sane. FACE f**kING PALM.
[ Edited by KRS-1 on Dec 9, 2010 at 6:24 AM ]
Has it been mentioned in here that AZ already has their own Alex Smith in Derek Anderson?

And that's probably an insult to Anderson (comparing him to Alex).
door stop or paper weight.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Bluefalcon61:
Has it been mentioned in here that AZ already has their own Alex Smith in Derek Anderson?

You think that's funny ? Derek Anderson is not laughing.
I would use Alex the way the Titans use Kerry Collins.
Originally posted by KRS-1:

Derek takes this s**t seriously
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
door stop or paper weight.

LOL I was just thinking the same thing! You sir are a strange fellow, I should know, anyone who think remotely as I do is one strange mo fo!

• hb123
  • Veteran
i'd use him by having him play backup on a new team
[ Edited by hb123 on Dec 9, 2010 at 12:40 PM ]
he better not be here or else this organization's going to lose a lot of fans and ticket sales.
I wouldn't. He wouldn't be on my team in 2011.
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Originally posted by KRS-1:

Derek takes this s**t seriously

I'd use him as a Calculus tutor. That s**t is hard to understand and I hear he is really smart.
Share 49ersWebzone