There are 282 users in the forums

How would you use A.Smith in 2011?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by fly15:
waterboy

i say assistant water boy. If he does well there let him put ice in the cold tubs.

sounds about right
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by Deodato:
Originally posted by ninertico:

Why not go after Vick.....

Philadelphia is going to do everything possible to lock up Vick long term. McNabb just signed a multi-year deal in Washington. Kolb may be expendable. Barring a huge trade/FA signing, its possible Alex Smith/Nate Davis is going to be the best option we have for next year.
as toilet paper
I would keep him as the starter for 2011. Yeah, you read that correctly, it's not a misprint. That way since he's likely to have a below average season yet again and throw more INTs than TDs, we can say: "It's only been 7 yrs, he needs another year to prove himself." And the cycle continues until one day, Smith will retire and making him a starter is no longer an option.
Originally posted by ninertico:
How about this POV: Who else in FA do we sign to come here if we don't resign Alex or Troy? Carr will be axed. So that leaves us Nate Davis to be our primary QB? I love his abilities, but no way!

Farve?
McNabb?
Orton?
Hasselbeck?

I can see either McNabb or Hasselbeck having value if and only if Gruden brings back the WCO. If that is the case, McNabb seems the better fit especially when we bring in a rook to develop and take over for his failing ass next year.

That is the only way I see to get a better FA QB. If not, Alex just maybe the best we can get out there and that's not even funny!

If it were me and as much as I wanted Alex to succeed, I would NOT resign he or Troy and can Carr. I would go out and at least get McNabb or Hasselbeck, draft an accurate throwing QB and let him practice and learn the nuances of the WCO.

There is so much up in the air, but the one thing I don't want falling down on us anymore is Alex Smith.

Why not go after Vick, or do what we wont admit and GROOM NATE DAVIS!! Why wont anyone admit this!! People are looking for a QB to come in and take us to the promise land in 2 years, we need to develop the talent (Davis) we have and stop kidding ourselves.

Keyword: Talent....Nate has none.
Alex's future will go along with the other top q.b. draft pick busts through the years. He becomes a spare back-up somewhere, rarely sees playing and wont do well when he gets it.

Examples, David Carr, Tim Couch, joey Harrington, Ryan Leaf, rex grossman, akali smith,

same is going to happen to vince young , jamarcus russell.
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
as toilet paper

i was totally about to say this word for word.
  • Otter
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by KRS-1:
I would like to see the 49ers tag him

.......breathe.............breathe......

Nice try. Taking 9 words out of a sentence to for a laugh. Now lets look at the entire statement.

"I would like to see the 49ers tag him or resign him to a league minimal and then give him the Shaun Hill Special. Trade him to another team for draft picks."

Let me put it another way, I DID NOT mean tag with the intent to KEEP. I meant tag with the intent to not let him walk away free and clear. If we tag him, we can use that as a bargaining chip and shop him for picks. That is ALL I care about, getting something useful from a CLEARLY wasted Number 1 pick 6 years ago. . .

Nobody is trading for a tagged Alex Smith...do you know how much money he makes if he signs the tag ?

Sign and trade ? This is not the NBA son nor is it Madden.

Wow.

C'mon KRS, who wouldn't want Alex Smith at $14 MILLION for a year, he is only 26 after all.

I bet Smith would sign the franchise tender before the ink had time to dry on the document itself.
Our only hope for next season for a good QB is if the Colts don't resign Manning and we make him the highest paid QB over Brady (something like 72 mil in 4 years).

Firstly, the Colts have a .0000001% chance of not resigning Manning.
Secondly, we have a .00000000000001% of paying out big bucks to get a good QB.

So, in other words, we have a .00000000000000000001% to get Manning next season. YES! There's a chance!
Originally posted by ElDannMann:
Our only hope for next season for a good QB is if the Colts don't resign Manning and we make him the highest paid QB over Brady (something like 72 mil in 4 years).

Firstly, the Colts have a .0000001% chance of not resigning Manning.
Secondly, we have a .00000000000001% of paying out big bucks to get a good QB.

So, in other words, we have a .00000000000000000001% to get Manning next season. YES! There's a chance!

Why would Peyton want to even come here? We could offer him 200 mil and he wouldnt take it unless he absolutely was sure we had the right coaches and management. People want their success to be guaranteed to a certain extent if they are going to invest all their time into something.

As of now...it looks like SF is where everyone comes to get an early retirement. (Ask Westbrook).

If the team decides to get serious and bring in an experienced, bright offensive minded HC, A Smith should be allowed to compete with whatever other QB the team can sign or draft. He has been the Jim Plunkett of the current era.

Jim Plunkett was a total failure for five years in New England. He was the most beaten up QB in the league. Plunkett was traded to SF in 1976 and the great duo of Steve Grogan and Tom Owen took over in New England and led the team to a 11-3 record.

In San Francisco, Plunkett failed again for two more years. He was waived during the 1978 season.

In Oakland, Plunkett sat on the bench for two year but eventually led the Raiders to a win in Super Bowl 15 and then again in Super Bowl 18.

Plunkett's experience with inept teams is very similar to A Smith's. Will A Smith have the same late career success ? I hope so, and I hope it is with the 9ers.

In his time with the 9ers, Smith has worked with one good/great offensive coach…Norv Turner. He progressed that year. Please do not remind me of Martz...I haven't forgotten him, just don't consider him the genius he thinks he is.
I would go get him a bad ass RB, a bad ass TE, an future bad ass up n coming WR and a super fast speedy WR, and brian westbrook...

oh wait
as a QB coach
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
as toilet paper
do we haft to use him
Share 49ersWebzone