There are 285 users in the forums

Who's with Alex Smith as our quarterback this year and 2011

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Who's with Alex Smith as our quarterback this year and 2011

Originally posted by gtowns:
And didn't Aaron Rodgers play pretty good behind a bad line in green bay

No, that myth was pretty well debunked even by GB fans. Early on, Rodgers just held the ball too long. Their scheme is so strong that the young/weaker GB OL still play in sync with each other and get the job done. Add to that, Rodgers was thoroughly developed and has had consistently awesome coaching throughout... and amazing vet receivers. Just not a good comparison here.

Alex could have done a better job protecting the ball and making better decisions overall. No one will really debate that. What the issue is, is that a QB would have had to be near flawless behind this SF team to consistently excel. It's just an unrealistic demand... one that Alex couldn't manage... one that Carr and Troy couldn't manage... one that very few if any QBs would manage.
  • dmax
  • Veteran
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by Janitor:
The fact that so many people think Alex should stay shows just how long it's been since we've had a good QB. People honestly don't remember what it looks like anymore.

Not true. As a Saints fan also, I watch every game from Drew Brees. (also watch many games taped from the Sunday Ticket throughout the week) Watching those games makes it crystal clear to me that Alex Smith is not our problem. He could play better on his own at times, of course. But no... he is not what we should be focused on when looking to fix major flaws. That Saints team has incredible coaching and the crisp play reflects it. Receivers run sharp routes, and attack the football in flight. The OL plays in sync with each other, and plays nasty. Scheme and playcallling... so very important to everything football. NFL rosters are pretty filled with NFL talent. Yet the fans always cry about not having talent here and there. While some talent is better than others, excellent coaching wins out over all.

more truth

No, that myth was pretty well debunked even by GB fans. Early on, Rodgers just held the ball too long. Their scheme is so strong that the young/weaker GB OL still play in sync with each other and get the job done. Add to that, Rodgers was thoroughly developed and has had consistently awesome coaching throughout... and amazing vet receivers. Just not a good comparison here.

Alex could have done a better job protecting the ball and making better decisions overall. No one will really debate that. What the issue is, is that a QB would have had to be near flawless behind this SF team to consistently excel. It's just an unrealistic demand... one that Alex couldn't manage... one that Carr and Troy couldn't manage... one that very few if any QBs would manage.[/quote

If your right, were doomed
  • fly15
  • Veteran
The fact that so many people think Alex should stay shows just how long it's been since we've had a good QB. People honestly don't remember what it looks like anymore.

Not true. As a Saints fan also, I watch every game from Drew Brees. (also watch many games taped from the Sunday Ticket throughout the week) Watching those games makes it crystal clear to me that Alex Smith is not our problem. He could play better on his own at times, of course. But no... he is not what we should be focused on when looking to fix major flaws. That Saints team has incredible coaching and the crisp play reflects it. Receivers run sharp routes, and attack the football in flight. The OL plays in sync with each other, and plays nasty. Scheme and playcallling... so very important to everything football. NFL rosters are pretty filled with NFL talent. Yet the fans always cry about not having talent here and there. While some talent is better than others, excellent coaching wins out over all.

you're a saints fan??

no wonder you want Alex back as the qb..... there it is

Alex could have done a better job protecting the ball and making better decisions overall. No one will really debate that. What the issue is, is that a QB would have had to be near flawless behind this SF team to consistently excel. It's just an unrealistic demand... one that Alex couldn't manage... one that Carr and Troy couldn't manage... one that very few if any QBs would manage.

If your right, were doomed

Not necessarily. These OL are young and can hopefully get better and better. SF will need a very quick turnaround in terms of coaches, so they will have to be sagacious in choosing the right staff. Something they have never shown any adeptness in for a long time now. A lot of pieces are in place already, but we must hurry before they leave or simply want out.
Originally posted by fly15:

you're a saints fan??

How long did it take you to think up this clever gem? Ugh... just stick to your lil pictures and emoticons, son.
Originally posted by lamontb:
I honestly would have a hard time even wanting to watch a Niners game next year if Alex smith is starting.

I KNOW you are a good fan, but is that statement consistent with being a good fan? Wouldn't not watching because of this make you more a hater of Alex than lover of team?

C'mon man... you would watch, and you would WANT to watch. You're better than that.

Note I said hard time watching, not that I wouldn't watch. That's just how demoralizing having this dude start would be. i would watch just wouldn't be excited about it all. I would pretty much write off the whole season if he starts next year. 6 years is enough for me.
Ifhe wins pppppppppppppppp If Alex wins last 4 games and makes plaoffs. Its his job to lose

you're a saints fan??

How long did it take you to think up this clever gem? Ugh... just stick to your lil pictures and emoticons, son.

I want Alex to do well the rest of this season. As for next year, I think he'd be far better off elsewhere...he needs a clean start outside of SF. Too much has happened as a Niner...with a head coaching change anticipated, whomever gets the jobwill most likely lean towards cleaning house. Maybe bring in Kolb...who won't stay in Philly as Vick's b/u (assuming they re-sign him). The new coach might retain Troy Smith...as a b/u, hard to say right now. Also don't see Carr staying...particularly if the new coach keeps Troy.

you're a saints fan??

What's up with that? Hey it's a free world I guess but having 2 teams in the NFL is like having 2 wives or 1 wife and a mistress. You can do it but it is frowned upon

you're a saints fan??

Seriously. I wouldn't doubt Fly being a 12 year old.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Method:

you're a saints fan??

Seriously. I wouldn't doubt Fly being a 12 year old.

even a 12 year old plays better than Alex
Originally posted by Ceadderman:

What manure.

The fact that people think Alex should stay shows that people understand all the issues.

The fact that the mules that won't budge from the notion that Alex has to leave shows that they are closed minded and not worthy of holding a conversation with for longer than necessary.

Let's put it this way...

we get that you're tired of seeing our 1st overall not produce to your satisfaction. A lot of us feel the same way.

We get that you're ready for the "experiment" to end. Same here.

What you don't get is that the FA list is small.

What you don't get is that the lock out is more than likely GOING to happen. There is NO collective bargaining agreement in place. Effectively canceling the FA period. Players are stuck on their prospective Islands.

What you don't get is that there is NOT a Rookie in the Draft that we could get that is an immediate Starter. And another thing you don't get is that even if there were, it's in our best interests to bring them along slowly so we're not back here 3-6 years down the road.

Now get back on your high horse and take it down the road. I'm tired of reading closed minded drivel.

~Ceadder

The absolute lack of any intelligence in this post, coupled with the my knowledge that you are a lost cause and would probably have Smith over any other QB in the league, leads me to wonder if Alex is having a gay affair with you.

Refute what I've said then. If there is lack of intelligence in it you should EASILY be able to show people that I'm wrong.

Besides Favre tell me which Players will be FA at the end of the season that are better than Alex. Can we get them cheaper? And with the impending lockout will we be able to get them?

Rookies, you know the names so tell me which one can come in and start right away. Because that's what all the fools will want. It happened with Alex and look what happened there.

So refute it. Being that you're oh so much more intelligent than I am and NOT a lost cause you should be able to do so. Right?

~Ceadder
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
Anybody who still believes in Alex Smith is absolutely out of their mind. I cannot comprehend the fact that there are still people who believe that he will lead us to victory.

I think his mom, grandmother and wife have 500 webzone accounts each and are posting all day.
Share 49ersWebzone