LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 281 users in the forums

Who's with Alex Smith as our quarterback this year and 2011

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Who's with Alex Smith as our quarterback this year and 2011

• Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
The fact that so many people think Alex should stay shows just how long it's been since we've had a good QB. People honestly don't remember what it looks like anymore.
Originally posted by Janitor:
The fact that so many people think Alex should stay shows just how long it's been since we've had a good QB. People honestly don't remember what it looks like anymore.

What manure.

The fact that people think Alex should stay shows that people understand all the issues.

The fact that the mules that won't budge from the notion that Alex has to leave shows that they are closed minded and not worthy of holding a conversation with for longer than necessary.

Let's put it this way...

we get that you're tired of seeing our 1st overall not produce to your satisfaction. A lot of us feel the same way.

We get that you're ready for the "experiment" to end. Same here.

What you don't get is that the FA list is small.

What you don't get is that the lock out is more than likely GOING to happen. There is NO collective bargaining agreement in place. Effectively canceling the FA period. Players are stuck on their prospective Islands.

What you don't get is that there is NOT a Rookie in the Draft that we could get that is an immediate Starter. And another thing you don't get is that even if there were, it's in our best interests to bring them along slowly so we're not back here 3-6 years down the road.

Now get back on your high horse and take it down the road. I'm tired of reading closed minded drivel.

~Ceadder

Not true. As a Saints fan also, I watch every game from Drew Brees. (also watch many games taped from the Sunday Ticket throughout the week) Watching those games makes it crystal clear to me that Alex Smith is not our problem. He could play better on his own at times, of course. But no... he is not what we should be focused on when looking to fix major flaws. That Saints team has incredible coaching and the crisp play reflects it. Receivers run sharp routes, and attack the football in flight. The OL plays in sync with each other, and plays nasty. Scheme and playcallling... so very important to everything football. NFL rosters are pretty filled with NFL talent. Yet the fans always cry about not having talent here and there. While some talent is better than others, excellent coaching wins out over all.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I'm with Alex this year, but not next year.
Alex, he has to go, we already suck, might as well get a new qb. What's the worst that can happen? He plays like Alex..
Originally posted by gtowns:
Alex, he has to go, we already suck, might as well get a new qb. What's the worst that can happen? He plays like Alex..

I doubt anyone is suggesting that SF doesn't need to bring in a QB. I'm all for a higher draft pick QB or solid vet if we can get one. But... depending on what happens from here out, SF may very well be better off keeping Alex here. He may be better off packing up... this team isn't quite at the QB-friendly stage yet.
Originally posted by oldman9er:

I doubt anyone is suggesting that SF doesn't need to bring in a QB. I'm all for a higher draft pick QB or solid vet if we can get one. But... depending on what happens from here out, SF may very well be better off keeping Alex here. He may be better off packing up... this team isn't quite at the QB-friendly stage yet.

Yea I have read alot of that, but the bottom line is if he stays, he might play... That's the problem, he has shown us what he has...... What's that? very close to nothing.
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
Originally posted by Ceadderman:

What manure.

The fact that people think Alex should stay shows that people understand all the issues.

The fact that the mules that won't budge from the notion that Alex has to leave shows that they are closed minded and not worthy of holding a conversation with for longer than necessary.

Let's put it this way...

we get that you're tired of seeing our 1st overall not produce to your satisfaction. A lot of us feel the same way.

We get that you're ready for the "experiment" to end. Same here.

What you don't get is that the FA list is small.

What you don't get is that the lock out is more than likely GOING to happen. There is NO collective bargaining agreement in place. Effectively canceling the FA period. Players are stuck on their prospective Islands.

What you don't get is that there is NOT a Rookie in the Draft that we could get that is an immediate Starter. And another thing you don't get is that even if there were, it's in our best interests to bring them along slowly so we're not back here 3-6 years down the road.

Now get back on your high horse and take it down the road. I'm tired of reading closed minded drivel.

~Ceadder

The absolute lack of any intelligence in this post, coupled with the my knowledge that you are a lost cause and would probably have Smith over any other QB in the league, leads me to wonder if Alex is having a gay affair with you.

Yea I have read alot of that, but the bottom line is if he stays, he might play... That's the problem, he has shown us what he has...... What's that? very close to nothing.

So I then ask you to give it serious thought and answer this...

Who could have really shown us more with the way the playcall/OL/receivers have been?
Originally posted by ninerlifer:
If Gruden comes on board, Alex is gonna stay. Gruden gushed all over him at the draft. He was very complimentary of him on MNF against the Aints.

So this is a likely senario.

This is the only scenario I would be happy with, but only if we still obtained another QB either through the draft or FA. If Gruden can teach Alex to be a real NFL QB, then fine. I still highly doubt it however, I think Alex is damaged goods. But, I would be fine with Alex being a back up, he may eventually turn his career around ala Rich Gannon.

I honestly would have a hard time even wanting to watch a Niners game next year if Alex smith is starting.
Originally posted by lamontb:
I honestly would have a hard time even wanting to watch a Niners game next year if Alex smith is starting.

I KNOW you are a good fan, but is that statement consistent with being a good fan? Wouldn't not watching because of this make you more a hater of Alex than lover of team?

C'mon man... you would watch, and you would WANT to watch. You're better than that.
[ Edited by oldman9er on Dec 8, 2010 at 6:51 AM ]
  • dmax
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
I'm for it if he's offered a one to 2 year deal.

Cause face it the season is more than likely going to be shortened by the impending lockout. Good luck finding a replacement player in that environment. There isn't going to be much lateral movement because of this. He's ready, he's perfectly able and if we do draft "the Future" then he can hold the spot til the Rookie is able to take over.

I mean dang who else is going to be available on the cheap that knows the Offense if Sing is still here. If Sing is gone it's obviously up to the new Coach, but a lot of the Coaches use a spread/digit system these days.

It only makes sense. Too bad our fan base is full of whiners that go "Oh no! We've had to endure him for 6 years" Whaaaaaaaaa..." If people would get over themselves it'd be easier to cope with reality. If you can't go get your medical card and hit that 420 til you don't give a truck anymore.

~Ceadder

TRUTH

So I then ask you to give it serious thought and answer this...

Who could have really shown us more with the way the playcall/OL/receivers have been?[/quote

Excellent point. The team IS bad. But when Mcnabb was out there, and before that, vick. We were committed to Alex. Vick is playing well, and Donovan, not so much. If we had gotten one of those guys and continued to lose, at least we can say we tried. But Alex and Carr were the cheap way out. We were hoping one would pan out. So far neither did. And now its the same ol story with th same guy (alex) I do agree tho we absolutely could lose with anyone anyone at qb this season, but Alex is no “Bright Spot” on this team. And didn't Aaron Rodgers play pretty good behind a bad line in green bay
And didn't Aaron Rodgers play pretty good behind a bad line in green bay

No, that myth was pretty well debunked even by GB fans. Early on, Rodgers just held the ball too long. Their scheme is so strong that the young/weaker GB OL still play in sync with each other and get the job done. Add to that, Rodgers was thoroughly developed and has had consistently awesome coaching throughout... and amazing vet receivers. Just not a good comparison here.

Alex could have done a better job protecting the ball and making better decisions overall. No one will really debate that. What the issue is, is that a QB would have had to be near flawless behind this SF team to consistently excel. It's just an unrealistic demand... one that Alex couldn't manage... one that Carr and Troy couldn't manage... one that very few if any QBs would manage.
Share 49ersWebzone