There are 45 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Eddie Debartolo on KNBR 680 (Ralph/Tom) @ 5PM PST!

Great interview. Listening to him, remembering listening to Walsh....it was so interesting and competent. You always felt you learned something and there was so much respect back and forth between them and the fans.

Now we hear Singletary's pressers...oh, the horror... and Prince Jeb tweets or twats, whatever, and it just isn't close.

The good news is that clearly Eddie has been counseling and and lobbying for what we all know what is needed.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Originally posted by teeohh:
can't Jed hire him for some role? Why not

He's still expunged from taking part in any NFL/NFL team operations, and would have to be voted back in via NFL league/labor/exec grand counsel to be allowed to own/become a team VP/CEO again for an NFL team (or even be a janitor).

Makes you wonder that if Eddie makes it into the HOF this year as a first-year ballot entree he'll get into the CBA/lock-out mix this Spring (and vie to be voted back in). Only problem is, is he was charged with gambling, and that's bigger than 'murder' in the NFL right now.

Although seriously, the NFL could use a genius mind like him to sort this (CBA/labor/lockout) issue out. (I know Jerry Jones, the Roonies, and the Krafts are pulling for Eddie to come back more than anybody in the NFL ownership pool right now.)

so this expungement still goes beyond what he'd just re-iterated tonite to tolbert in that he "...was suspended for a year and fined, but never ever banned from football."
Found this kinda funny..

Ralph asks Eddie "When you talk to Jed, what do you tell him ? What does he have to do to get this thing turned around?"

Eddie immediately responds " I know Jed cares about this organization and he cares alot, but I can't speak for his father"

Eddie even knows Dr. York has no clue..
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
0lol Eddie hired Walsh, overpaid everyone with no salary cap. The salary cap came about because of Eddie. (arguably)

Eddie's way of running an organization would not work in today's NFL.

My answer to you is: 5 SB's.
Originally posted by 190836:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
0lol Eddie hired Walsh, overpaid everyone with no salary cap. The salary cap came about because of Eddie. (arguably)

Eddie's way of running an organization would not work in today's NFL.

My answer to you is: 5 SB's.

And you really think he can't adapt.
We can only hope Eddie's right about Jed being willing to make some bold decisions this off-season. Only time will tell, but it's clearly time to pay the piper...so we'll see if Jed has a set of huevos...or not.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 1,990
I love how Ralph tries to put words in people's mouth with his way of questioning. What a cad.
The one thing that stands out in my mind after listening to this is how absolutely adamant about the importance of having a "really strong football guy" in charge of running the football side of the operation. Knowing he and Jed talk a lot, I can't see Jed not bringing in that football guy to make the decision on the new coach.

It was also interesting to note that Eddie felt they had far too many people working on the administrative side of things. "Get rid of half of them" seemed to be the message.
Originally posted by 190836:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
0lol Eddie hired Walsh, overpaid everyone with no salary cap. The salary cap came about because of Eddie. (arguably)

Eddie's way of running an organization would not work in today's NFL.

My answer to you is: 5 SB's.

AXE has a point. NFL owners couldn't put together teams to beat the 49ers on the field -- so instead they ganged up on one of the most successful franchises in the league and imposed a salary cap.

Now -- Eddie made some rather stupid blunders -- but league owners played a huge role in the downfall of our once storied franchise.

They should re-name the salary cap the "49er Rule."
I'm from Vegas so I've never heard the show but man the host sounds like Gary the Retard from Howard Stern lol.



Baba-booey haha
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 1,990
Originally posted by dj43:
The one thing that stands out in my mind after listening to this is how absolutely adamant about the importance of having a "really strong football guy" in charge of running the football side of the operation. Knowing he and Jed talk a lot, I can't see Jed not bringing in that football guy to make the decision on the new coach.

It was also interesting to note that Eddie felt they had far too many people working on the administrative side of things. "Get rid of half of them" seemed to be the message.

Remember when Michael Lewis' agent offered the cryptic quote, "I don't think anyone knows who's in charge over there?" Your point reinforces that. Furthermore, I think with Jed at the front of the organizations business affairs, he's not at team headquarters all the time. I think the main issue is that too many people have his ear, there is no clear chain of command; Baalke is on the road scouting, etc. Jed will be humbled by this criticism, he'll learn. I hope he does.
[ Edited by FL9er on Dec 8, 2010 at 11:38 AM ]
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Originally posted by teeohh:
can't Jed hire him for some role? Why not

He's still expunged from taking part in any NFL/NFL team operations, and would have to be voted back in via NFL league/labor/exec grand counsel to be allowed to own/become a team VP/CEO again for an NFL team (or even be a janitor).

Makes you wonder that if Eddie makes it into the HOF this year as a first-year ballot entree he'll get into the CBA/lock-out mix this Spring (and vie to be voted back in). Only problem is, is he was charged with gambling, and that's bigger than 'murder' in the NFL right now.

Although seriously, the NFL could use a genius mind like him to sort this (CBA/labor/lockout) issue out. (I know Jerry Jones, the Roonies, and the Krafts are pulling for Eddie to come back more than anybody in the NFL ownership pool right now.)

Not trying to take you to task, but wasn't Eddie nailed for bribery and not gambling? He was bribing for a waterboat casino license.
Originally posted by MntIdaGold:
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Originally posted by teeohh:
can't Jed hire him for some role? Why not

He's still expunged from taking part in any NFL/NFL team operations, and would have to be voted back in via NFL league/labor/exec grand counsel to be allowed to own/become a team VP/CEO again for an NFL team (or even be a janitor).

Makes you wonder that if Eddie makes it into the HOF this year as a first-year ballot entree he'll get into the CBA/lock-out mix this Spring (and vie to be voted back in). Only problem is, is he was charged with gambling, and that's bigger than 'murder' in the NFL right now.

Although seriously, the NFL could use a genius mind like him to sort this (CBA/labor/lockout) issue out. (I know Jerry Jones, the Roonies, and the Krafts are pulling for Eddie to come back more than anybody in the NFL ownership pool right now.)

Not trying to take you to task, but wasn't Eddie nailed for bribery and not gambling? He was bribing for a waterboat casino license.

Hahaha, good ole' river boat gambilin!!!
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
0lol Eddie hired Walsh, overpaid everyone with no salary cap. The salary cap came about because of Eddie. (arguably)

Eddie's way of running an organization would not work in today's NFL.

He knows how to be an owner. He said it himself: hire football people and let THEM run the show. Salary cap or not, that's the smart thing for any owner to do.

He also said this organization needs a QB. He's dead on. If he were the owner now, we'd have football people running the show and we'd probably have a good QB. His "way of running an organization" would work in any era.
Originally posted by MntIdaGold:
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Originally posted by teeohh:
can't Jed hire him for some role? Why not

He's still expunged from taking part in any NFL/NFL team operations, and would have to be voted back in via NFL league/labor/exec grand counsel to be allowed to own/become a team VP/CEO again for an NFL team (or even be a janitor).

Makes you wonder that if Eddie makes it into the HOF this year as a first-year ballot entree he'll get into the CBA/lock-out mix this Spring (and vie to be voted back in). Only problem is, is he was charged with gambling, and that's bigger than 'murder' in the NFL right now.

Although seriously, the NFL could use a genius mind like him to sort this (CBA/labor/lockout) issue out. (I know Jerry Jones, the Roonies, and the Krafts are pulling for Eddie to come back more than anybody in the NFL ownership pool right now.)

Not trying to take you to task, but wasn't Eddie nailed for bribery and not gambling? He was bribing for a waterboat casino license.

I'm almost positive he was convicted of not reporting a felony. The other charges would not stick. Although I may be wrong.