There are 190 users in the forums

Confirmed - Alex Smith to start against Seahawks on Sunday

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by D_Niner:

Joe, you can't go off of the play by play. Those only reflect the passes over the middle that Troy pulled the trigger on. That doesn't reflect what the actual call was.

I don't know if you're agreeing with me or not, but yeah... that was a much better way of making my point.

Thanks.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by Blitz:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by susweel:

what about ALex career win loss record and rating.

Not relevant.

Look at the trend.

It's not even an Alex vs. Troy argument for me.

Troy has been exposed. Time to move on and try something else.

Hell, start Nate Davis for all I care. I think the season is over. I'd still want us to win, though.

The team doesn't seem to agree with me, though. They still think we can win.

Now, look at the trend in Alex Smith's last three games:

Quarterback Rating = 89.7

Win/Loss Record = 1-2

Same win loss record... much better QB rating. There are a lot of other factors I could use, but I'm trying to keep it simple. It's all about the trends.

Alex Smith was trending up (sluggishly... acceleration and aesthetic) and Troy Smith is trending down... dropping like a rock.

If the team wants to win, it makes sense to start Alex. Will it work? I don't expect them to win another game, no matter who is at quarterback. We'll just have to wait and see.

My main point here is that Troy's limitations were exposed against the Bucs and it shows.

So would you say the play calling vs TB,GB and StL,AZ the same?

Because a blind man can see that the game plan for both of those games were different.

TB,GB the game plan was to out phyiscal your opponent

StL,AZ was actually scheme

I dont care who's at QB! just call plays that win games!

I don't know if I agree with this breakdown of the games.

I am more inclined to the "simplest explanation" and just say:

Tards, Lambs no so good teams.

Tampon Bay, Dickcheeseheads, good teams.

I really do not see how other factor's within our control (game plan etc) would vary significantly enough to support much different results between these games.

Although, I take some of that back: We came off a bye for the home Lambs game. We had an extra week to prepare. I think it showed.

And, well the Tards really really suck...I do think they made us look like champions more than we did. They gave up, that's how bad they were. I am not sure if it was possible for us to f**k that game up, I think the niner's might have won without any game planning, coaching, and by drawing plays up on the fly in the huddle like schoolyard ball.

Watch the TB/StL games again.. I was surprised at the play calling for the StL game(some trickery) but the TB game was a popwarner run run oh shoot now we have to pass and lets give troy one option down field.

not saying that's why Troy had a bad game, anyone back there was going to fail

Wasn't that the same scheme we were doing going into the season when Raye was still here? Is it also safe to say that anyone back there would have failed as well?
[ Edited by baybreaker707 on Dec 7, 2010 at 4:05 PM ]

Joe, you can't go off of the play by play. Those only reflect the passes over the middle that Troy pulled the trigger on. That doesn't reflect what the actual call was.

I don't know if you're agreeing with me or not, but yeah... that was a much better way of making my point.

Thanks.

I'm agreeing with your point; but; not with you point of view (if that makes sense...).

I still think Troy is better; just under utilized and too restricted by our coaches. It's like watching them try to force a square peg into a round hole. I forget the writer that said it; but, I think they turned Troy Smith into Alex these past few games.
Seems like just yesterday........
Originally posted by SJniner7:

Not sure I would agree! Alex didn't finish the CAR game, but people keep acting like he posted a respectable QB rating. The score was tie at halftime, and one INT would have dramatically reduced his rating. On the other hand, you could argue that Troy is steadily improving (51,61,64). Without that last second INT, I bet Troy's rating would have increased dramatically in the GB game.

I honestly don't see the point in starting Alex. He is gone after this year anyway, but Troy still has a chance to show if he is worth keeping as a backup or a starter while the rookie develops.

You're arguing against Alex and you just wrote that? What would you say if I told you that was a reason to start Alex over Troy? You'd literally die of laughter, right?

I'm just showing you guys the statistics, alright? I'm not championing Alex Smith here.

Just wanted to show you why I thought they made the decision they did.

Well, we all know the decision came because Alex is a safer bet. Should we lose, Sing may point to Alex and say, "I guess I was wrong." I was being a little sarcastic on the steady improvement of Troy, since the improvement is so very minor.
I think the QB issue will wind down to this....

You go out....throw an INT, you get benched. Can't do it.

So Alex..you better play PERFECT, or else Sing will be hollerin' at you from the sideline!

Same goes for you Troy!
  • Jiks

Thanks.

I'm agreeing with your point; but; not with you point of view (if that makes sense...).

I still think Troy is better; just under utilized and too restricted by our coaches. It's like watching them try to force a square peg into a round hole. I forget the writer that said it; but, I think they turned Troy Smith into Alex these past few games.

I don't get what you're saying? Your saying it's the coaches fault Troy Smith is under utilized and too restricted? Do you not think that they have done that with Alex then? Cause I firmly believe coaching has a lot to do with where Alex is, and I think it shows when we put a guy like Troy in that our coaches do not know what they are doing regardless of the QB,
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

Makes total sense and that's what I meant.

I think Troy could be better, but he had way too much stacked against him. Give him a full offseason where an offense is schemed to account for his limitations and I can see him being successful.

I think the "turning Troy into Alex" thing is really just a product of Troy's limitations. He can't make the big extended plays anymore because defenses are scheming to stop them.

There's just no way he can be expected to throw from the pocket at his height behind a hodgepodge line of rookies and back-ups who weren't given a full offseason of special coaching on opening really good throwing lanes and keeping defenders hands down.

Then you add in the fact that they couldn't even pass block against the worst pass rushing team in the NFL at the time, while the defense was schemed to keep Troy in the pocket.

The coaching staff may have tried to figure out ways for him to throw better from the pocket, but I don't think they're putting limits on him. I don't think they put limits on Alex as much as people are saying, either. Alex limits himself, too... just in different ways. Both are severely limited by the o-line, though.

Hopefully the last couple weeks wasn't a fluke and the o-line is actually improving it's pass protection.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SJniner7:

Well, we all know the decision came because Alex is a safer bet. Should we lose, Sing may point to Alex and say, "I guess I was wrong." I was being a little sarcastic on the steady improvement of Troy, since the improvement is so very minor.

Yeah, that's true... that and I'm sure Mike Johnson might have literally chewed Singletary's ear off... I'll have to look and see if one's missing against Seattle.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:

I don't get what you're saying? Your saying it's the coaches fault Troy Smith is under utilized and too restricted? Do you not think that they have done that with Alex then? Cause I firmly believe coaching has a lot to do with where Alex is, and I think it shows when we put a guy like Troy in that our coaches do not know what they are doing regardless of the QB,

I still say it's a combination of everything. QB limitations, o-line, coaching.

We're just not good enough in any of those areas to overcome the other areas.

Makes total sense and that's what I meant.

I think Troy could be better, but he had way too much stacked against him. Give him a full offseason where an offense is schemed to account for his limitations and I can see him being successful.

I think the "turning Troy into Alex" thing is really just a product of Troy's limitations. He can't make the big extended plays anymore because defenses are scheming to stop them.

There's just no way he can be expected to throw from the pocket at his height behind a hodgepodge line of rookies and back-ups who weren't given a full offseason of special coaching on opening really good throwing lanes and keeping defenders hands down.

Then you add in the fact that they couldn't even pass block against the worst pass rushing team in the NFL at the time, while the defense was schemed to keep Troy in the pocket.

The coaching staff may have tried to figure out ways for him to throw better from the pocket, but I don't think they're putting limits on him. I don't think they put limits on Alex as much as people are saying, either. Alex limits himself, too... just in different ways. Both are severely limited by the o-line, though.

Hopefully the last couple weeks wasn't a fluke and the o-line is actually improving it's pass protection.

This is what I was thinking, I just never have time to type things out, good job Wodwizzle!

I hope Troy can stay and compete for the starting gig next season against whomever we draft.
Who cares... He better not be our starting QB next year!

On the other hand, who could our starting QB be next year? There's not many options out there. If we draft a QB I don't know that it would be a good idea to start him next year.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by verb1der:

This is what I was thinking, I just never have time to type things out, good job Wodwizzle!

I hope Troy can stay and compete for the starting gig next season against whomever we draft.

I'ma get a sammich.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by Niners209:
Originally posted by daWest:
i'm glad he'll get a shot to audition for other teams a little bit before the season ends...i think the season's done, so i couldn't care less who starts, although i do feel alex deserves to start, he never lost the job in the first place and troy just hasnt performed since st.louis

When was the last time Alex performed then?

Against the raiders. He went 16/33, 196 YDS, 2 TD

Wohoo - Polish up the plaque in the HOF.
Alright Wodwo, i got something for you.

You keep bringing up Troy's last three games and Alex's last three. You said both were 1-2, and that Alex had a rating of 87 and was getting better each game, and that Troy has been getting worse, which I agree with.

However, you didn't include Troy's games against the rams and broncos because they were against weak teams. But at the same time, the 3 games that you pull stats from for Alex are against the Raiders, who hadn't gotten into their groove yet, the Eagles, who I will admit were a good team, and the FREAKING panthers.

Yet, the games you want to pull stats from for Troy are against one terrible team, the Packers and the Bucs.....
[ Edited by niner4life21 on Dec 7, 2010 at 5:08 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone