LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 292 users in the forums

Whats the point of going back to Alex?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Plus, Singletary said he wanted to exhaust Alex and giving him the starting job back does that.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Dec 7, 2010 at 3:57 AM ]
Originally posted by mayo49:
Plus, Singletary said he wanted to exhaust Alex and giving him the starting job back does that.

when my coaches wanted to exhaust me they just made me run bleachers
Originally posted by leebert81:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by maximill15:
its really dumb that we are bring alex back in. We know what we have with him...NOTHING!

Troy is still developing and hasn't done anything to warrant benching! We need to continue to evaluate Troy for the rest of the season, and then go get a new qb via FA or Draft.

And neither did Hill. This is just another incredibly stupid move by our HC. It boggles the mind that he would bench two QBs that had WINNING RECORDS in favor of Alex. What the heck is it going to take for the coaching staff to admit Alex is not a good QB?!?!?!

I can't believe this is what my team has become.

LB

except for the fact that Troy Smith does not know the playbook and makes our already predictable offense even more predictable. Troy's limited playbook limits the amount of adjustments that Johnson can make during the game. Plus it's not like Troy is better than Alex to begin with.

This seems to be a well accepted excuse here in the zone. I'm not buying it. Do you really think Troy only knows a handful of plays? They were running a much larger variety of play in Troy's first two games then they are now.

LB

I'm fully convinced that Troy knows a fraction of what Alex knows of the offense. if that fraction is 1/3, 1/2, 1/8...its impossible for us to know but what may come into question here is the play calling, We dont call nearly the variety of plays that the players should know having been in this offense through camp. If they change that, I think Alex should be under center especially with Gore out...one thing is obvious, the pass plays have been curtailed with troy in, (again that may not be his fault) but it would seem to indicate a lack of trust with troy throwing the ball, if it takes putting Alex back in for them to stop running up the middle on 3rd and 11 then I'm all for it.
Originally posted by 1swift:
its really dumb that we are bring alex back in. We know what we have with him...NOTHING!

Troy is still developing and hasn't done anything to warrant benching! We need to continue to evaluate Troy for the rest of the season, and then go get a new qb via FA or Draft.

And neither did Hill. This is just another incredibly stupid move by our HC. It boggles the mind that he would bench two QBs that had WINNING RECORDS in favor of Alex. What the heck is it going to take for the coaching staff to admit Alex is not a good QB?!?!?!

LB

except for the fact that Troy Smith does not know the playbook and makes our already predictable offense even more predictable. Troy's limited playbook limits the amount of adjustments that Johnson can make during the game. Plus it's not like Troy is better than Alex to begin with.

This seems to be a well accepted excuse here in the zone. I'm not buying it. Do you really think Troy only knows a handful of plays? They were running a much larger variety of play in Troy's first two games then they are now.

LB

I'm fully convinced that Troy knows a fraction of what Alex knows of the offense. if that fraction is 1/3, 1/2, 1/8...its impossible for us to know but what may come into question here is the play calling, We dont call nearly the variety of plays that the players should know having been in this offense through camp. If they change that, I think Alex should be under center especially with Gore out...one thing is obvious, the pass plays have been curtailed with troy in, (again that may not be his fault) but it would seem to indicate a lack of trust with troy throwing the ball, if it takes putting Alex back in for them to stop running up the middle on 3rd and 11 then I'm all for it.

I agree that Troy more than likely does not know as many plays as Alex does. I just have a hard time believing he only knows very few as some believe. I don't think that's a valid excuse with these coaches. Other coaches yes, but not these guys. They will not open up the playbook no matter who is behind center.

LB

LB

LB

I agree that Troy more than likely does not know as many plays as Alex does. I just have a hard time believing he only knows very few as some believe. I don't think that's a valid excuse with these coaches. Other coaches yes, but not these guys. They will not open up the playbook no matter who is behind center.

LB

Who has stated that he only knows a few plays? I know for a fact that I have said that Troy only knows a portion of the playbook. To me it seems as though you are taking statements like this and assuming that it means that Troy only knows 5 plays.

LB

LB

LB

Who has stated that he only knows a few plays? I know for a fact that I have said that Troy only knows a portion of the playbook. To me it seems as though you are taking statements like this and assuming that it means that Troy only knows 5 plays.

Funny. You don't have to look farther than this thread where you said "except for the fact that Troy Smith does not know the playbook".

Thanks, I needed that.

LB

LB

LB

LB

If you look at W/L yes Troy has better record this year but when you really look at pure QB preformance has troy been better? I think not except for one game

If troy knows 99/100 and is playing essentially the same as the guy who knows 100/100 i want the 100/100 guy.

Playcalling is huge here but it is what it is...I'm a bit suprised Sing had the balls to do this but this season (playoffs) lives or dies with this game, if theres one time to go all out its right here...but i think you're probably right, cant trust this staff/organization to do anything different than they have been doing

LB

LB

LB

If you look at W/L yes Troy has better record this year but when you really look at pure QB preformance has troy been better? I think not except for one game

If troy knows 99/100 and is playing essentially the same as the guy who knows 100/100 i want the 100/100 guy.

Playcalling is huge here but it is what it is...I'm a bit suprised Sing had the balls to do this but this season (playoffs) lives or dies with this game, if theres one time to go all out its right here...but i think you're probably right, cant trust this staff/organization to do anything different than they have been doing

W/L yes and QB rating. Troy's is marginally better.

Look, I really don't think either QB is very good. What bothers me is we already know what Alex can and can't do and for me the jury is no longer out on him. Troy is more exciting to watch and I think more dangerous to defend with his scrambling ability and resourcefulness. He's more daring and has the ability to keep plays alive. We cannot expect to play conservative in this game and win. With that being said I think Troy gives us the best chance to win.

LB

LB

LB

LB

W/L yes and QB rating. Troy's is marginally better.

Look, I really don't think either QB is very good. What bothers me is we already know what Alex can and can't do and for me the jury is no longer out on him. Troy is more exciting to watch and I think more dangerous to defend with his scrambling ability and resourcefulness. He's more daring and has the ability to keep plays alive. We cannot expect to play conservative in this game and win. With that being said I think Troy gives us the best chance to win.

LB

If troy would run I would be more inclined to agree. He may have the worst pocket awarness ever. And is it me or is he easier to catch from behind than Favre? Alex used to be better with this I believe but he never scrambles either but I sometimes I find myself screaming at the TV for troy to take off and he just takes the sack or throws a just terrible pass.

Its really a rock and a hardplace for this one
Originally posted by oldman9er:
If the collective opinion is that Alex offers the best chance to beat the Hawks next week, then he should start. Ridiculous as it is, SF is not completely out of this divisional battle. They need this W.

Here are the facts:
NFC West is the joke of the NFL. Whichever team makes the playoffs will get pummeled and be the laughing stock of the NFL. Personally, I am tired of the niners being that team. If Singletary wants to be a head coach in the future he needs to show he can make the best decisions for the team. IMO that would be in seeing what QB's we want to keep for the future.

Here is Singletary's dilemma: Jed wants the playoffs despite the above. Does he really want to to have the only team in NFL history to make the playoffs with a loosing record?

This is a classic case of the blind leading the blind.

They don't have a QB, so why bother reasoning it out? When you are flipping back & forth like this with starters, it is a sure sign to finally clean house, and start over with that position in the offseason. Roll the dice, and pick who you want to start. Gambling is no worse than their current strategy (whatever that is).
[ Edited by djfullshred on Dec 7, 2010 at 10:01 AM ]
Why would you play the player who you cut in the offseason with your job on the line you would have to be an idiot. The 49ers can still win the west with 4 wins no team on schedule has winning record 6-6 seahawks 6-6 rams 6-6 chargers and sad cardinals. Bottom line because Alex knows offense best and the fact he was starter before injury and he has the best chemistry with all our recievers especially vernon davis whom lead nfl in recieving tds and made probowl last year with alex throwing seam routes to him. Alex gives us best chance to win out
I don't see the point of going back to Alex Smith at all, I mean if the 49ers were not going to beat the Packers with Alex Smith as a starter and they won't beat the Chargers and while they might beat the Seahawks, it's likely they won't because they only scored 7 points last time with Alex Smith out there. I do not understand why Troy gets 4 or 5 games and Alex Smith gets 5 or 6 years to screw up. I don't care how much offense Troy knows he is a better player than Alex Smith. It is not right what
Singletary did and I do want him fired at this point.
Originally posted by a24hrdad:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
If the collective opinion is that Alex offers the best chance to beat the Hawks next week, then he should start. Ridiculous as it is, SF is not completely out of this divisional battle. They need this W.

Here are the facts:
NFC West is the joke of the NFL. Whichever team makes the playoffs will get pummeled and be the laughing stock of the NFL. Personally, I am tired of the niners being that team. If Singletary wants to be a head coach in the future he needs to show he can make the best decisions for the team. IMO that would be in seeing what QB's we want to keep for the future.

Here is Singletary's dilemma: Jed wants the playoffs despite the above. Does he really want to to have the only team in NFL history to make the playoffs with a loosing record?

This is a classic case of the blind leading the blind.

So you choose to assume that if somehow SF's team fights into the playoffs at 8-8, that they will get annihilated by the opposing team... tuck tail... and run in embarrassment? So you are saying that you are a defeatist? A quitter? We have no chance? Well shame on you. SF went against some good teams and fought toe to toe with them... @ Atlanta and ve the SB Champ Saints... should have won both but came up just short. Yet now we have no chance?

SF fans... getting weaker by the day.
Alex Smith is better than Troy.

But the point of all of this is that we don't have a QB worth starting. We need a new one to compete.
Share 49ersWebzone