There are 71 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Start Smith for the rest of the year! Start with a new QB next year!

Let Alex Smith have his audition for a new team with the last remaining games by running his type of offense!
Some other team will fall in love and sign him

Then have Troy (if we even want to keep him), Nate Davis, and rookie QB fight it out for the starting job!

The OLine will improve and should be top notch by next year
There is nothing to gain by starting him. He much like Sing is a dead man walking.
It just doesn't matter. Potentially it would do use more harm than good.

If Alex won the last 4 games and got us into the play-offs, we could be stuck with Singletary.

If Alex loses it doesn't change anything.

If Alex splits it doesn't change anything.


I'm trying to see what positive thing could come out of this.
i wouldn't mind seeing Alex run a no-huddle spread offense for the last 4 games. it would be quite entertaining.

will never happen though.
Originally posted by solidg2000:
Let Alex Smith have his audition for a new team with the last remaining games by running his type of offense!
Some other team will fall in love and sign him

Then have Troy (if we even want to keep him), Nate Davis, and rookie QB fight it out for the starting job!

The OLine will improve and should be top notch by next year

This makes absolutely no sense for the 49ers. Why would they help Alex audition for his next job? IF they want to keep Troy or Nate and not Alex next year, they should play them (Troy and/or Nate) now to let them learn and to see if they have what it takes to be a player in this league. You only start Alex if you think he gives you the best chance to win.
[ Edited by wwrivers on Dec 6, 2010 at 1:42 PM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 20,846
Alex might be back in there by default if Troy has another bad game.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Dec 6, 2010 at 1:49 PM ]
Originally posted by wwrivers:
Originally posted by solidg2000:
Let Alex Smith have his audition for a new team with the last remaining games by running his type of offense!
Some other team will fall in love and sign him

Then have Troy (if we even want to keep him), Nate Davis, and rookie QB fight it out for the starting job!

The OLine will improve and should be top notch by next year

This makes absolutely no sense for the 49ers. Why would they help Alex audition for his next job? IF they want to keep Troy or Nate and not Alex next year, they should play them now to let them learn and to see if they have what it takes to be a player in this league. You only start Alex if you think he gives you the best chance to win.

This is Singletary we're talking about here...
  • mod
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 29,367
Originally posted by Jakemall:
It just doesn't matter. Potentially it would do use more harm than good.

If Alex won the last 4 games and got us into the play-offs, we could be stuck with Singletary.

If Alex loses it doesn't change anything.

If Alex splits it doesn't change anything.


I'm trying to see what positive thing could come out of this.

well, we are not getting Luck, so whether or not we win our remaining games it doesnt matter. Looking at the standings, with the Bills committing to Fitzpatrick, Carolina committing to Clausen, Luck will be going to the Cardinals... We will be in the running for the #2 QB in the draft... and I dont see that changing at 4-12 or 7-9.

We might as well do our best to win so its entertaining and I think that means playing Alex... even though he's a dead man walking
[ Edited by modninerfan on Dec 6, 2010 at 1:48 PM ]
Does anyone know Alex Smith's win/loss as a starter for the niners?
Originally posted by solidg2000:
Let Alex Smith have his audition for a new team with the last remaining games by running his type of offense!
Some other team will fall in love and sign him

Then have Troy (if we even want to keep him), Nate Davis, and rookie QB fight it out for the starting job!

The OLine will improve and should be top notch by next year

Let him 'audition' for the sake of him possibly getting a job??? Are you kidding?? Hell no! Especially with the faint chance that we can still go to the playoffs.
when we are officially eliminated from the playoffs...meaning if we lose next week really (I know it won't be official) If that happens, we need to sit Troy if he has another inconsistent game and we need to cut David Carr....throw Nate Davis in there to see what we have....and go from there.

personally we should have cut David Carr by now ever since Alex got back healthy, THERE IS NO REASON he should be on the team right now.

Alex won't be with the team next year. If the front office felt he was going to, they would have forced Alex back in the starting role a couple of weeks ago after he was healthy again.

we kind of have an idea what Troy brings to the table. If we are indeed basically out of the playoffs then Nate needs to be in there against teams that are fighting for the playoffs, for us to get a good idea of where he stands.

imo, he seems to play similar to Josh Freeman of the Bucs...but Josh has shown he is clutch most of the time...and has played better then he has struggled. So I'd like to get a good look at Nate before the season is out......that is, if we lose this week against the Seahawks. We should win that game though.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Dec 6, 2010 at 1:53 PM ]
when troy rec goes below .500 alex will get his job back. the only thing that will do is help cement our indivdual opinions about his time playing for this team be they good or bad.
Alex does give us the best chance to win, why not just accept it!
Call it an audition or anything else! It doesn't matter! Alex knows the offense better then anyone else here!

I know a lot of you hate him just because what he is, but unless your in complete delusion and denial, your whilling to admit he is the best we got!

Singletary is gone unless we win a super bowl this year, which we all know won't happen. Before anyone starts trying to argue that, remember mooch!

Start Alex Smith
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 20,846
Originally posted by solidg2000:
Alex does give us the best chance to win, why not just accept it!
Call it an audition or anything else! It doesn't matter! Alex knows the offense better then anyone else here!

I know a lot of you hate him just because what he is, but unless your in complete delusion and denial, your whilling to admit he is the best we got!

Singletary is gone unless we win a super bowl this year, which we all know won't happen. Before anyone starts trying to argue that, remember mooch!

Start Alex Smith

I have to agree, Alex gives us the best chance to win.
Originally posted by solidg2000:
Alex does give us the best chance to win, why not just accept it!
Call it an audition or anything else! It doesn't matter! Alex knows the offense better then anyone else here!

I know a lot of you hate him just because what he is, but unless your in complete delusion and denial, your whilling to admit he is the best we got!

Singletary is gone unless we win a super bowl this year, which we all know won't happen. Before anyone starts trying to argue that, remember mooch!

Start Alex Smith

i would say play him if we had him under contract and could trade something for him. but we don't, so let him ride the pine until season's end.