LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 203 users in the forums

Are we done thinking Troy Smith is doing good?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Alex Smith gives us a better chance of winning as our starting QB than Troy Smith. That is not saying much but that is a fact!
Troy isnt lighting it up, but Alex is worse! Nate Davis time?
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Niners209:
Alex Smith = Best QB on our roster right now.

FYP

Which is why we need to draft a QB.
[ Edited by Jakemall on Dec 6, 2010 at 1:33 PM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Niners209:
Troy Smith = Best QB on our roster right now.
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Originally posted by susweel:
I think we need to give him 5 more year to be fair to him.

Its the only logical way to tell if you have your future QB or not

With the niners it is.

God we have turned into a pathetic organization =/

been dark days around this team for 8 years and running
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by a24hrdad:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by a24hrdad:

The problem is the play calling not Troy Smith (to a degree). Have you noticed that Receivers are no longer running the wrong route? When Alex was playing every week there was an issue because supposedly the receiver was not where he was supposed to be. Did everyone learn the play-book when Troy started? I don't think so.

I'm not saying Troy will be our franchise QB, but he is clearly the best we have. Until we get someone clearly better, let the man play.

The bolded here was just one of a few advantages for Troy vs Alex. When you start out a season, it can take time for everyone to get on the same page... to get in sync... to build chemistry. By the time the harder opponents were played... the time Alex was injured and Troy entered... the OL started playing a bit better... the receivers were more in tune with their assignments... and M.J. was evolving his game as an OC.

What was disappointing to me with the TB and GB games... is that plenty of times, Troy had good protection... and he either pizzed it away with his feet or simply not being able to find a target with 3+ seconds. Can he get better? Sure... maybe. But I still don't think he gives SF the best chance to win at this time.

How many years of Alex do you need to convince you he doesn't either?

Just one year of decent playcalling, OL blocking, and receiver competency would have sufficed.

... but we couldn't provide a respectable level of any of those... and when we started to? Anthony Davis whiffs on a pass rusher vs Carolina...

Remember the "WE WANT CARR!" chant? Anthony Davis basically forced the issue.
Let me answer your question with another question young grasshopper.

Are Niners fans even done with Alex Smith yet?

I think Troy has some time.
Originally posted by Chico:
not sure yet! Troy buys time...scrambles, makes plays and is accurate on the long ball! We gave Alex six years to develope and we can't even give Troy 6 weeks! I want TROY!!!

This!!!!!!!
Originally posted by sacniner:
He is a good 3rd string QB. All I gotta say is, I miss Alex Smith cause of Troy... that should answer your question.

I have to say that even though Troy is not QB1 material he's more QB2 than David Carr is. I hate to say that too considering that Carr was put through a wringer similar to what Alex went through. Of course Carr really didn't know our Offense and our Line sucked at the time so to expect spectacular results is a bit unfair. But at the moment with the limited playbook Troy is better than Dave imho.So demoting him to QB3 is counter productive. With more time invested in learning a full playbook I think that he could be a hell of a QB. Just not right now.

~Ceadder

What are you smoking Joe?

It's obvious they don't trust Troy with the ball. It's not about whether so and so is done or so and so sucks. I don't believe either statement for either QB. They both have their issues and they both have their positives.

Right now however the BIG negative working against Troy is the staff doesn't trust him. And that should decide who is the Starter from here on out.

So in that vain I say Start Carr.

~Ceadder

one more game is what i will give him. after that, i would bring up simple jack from the PS.
Originally posted by Ceadderman:

What are you smoking Joe?

It's obvious they don't trust Troy with the ball. It's not about whether so and so is done or so and so sucks. I don't believe either statement for either QB. They both have their issues and they both have their positives.

Right now however the BIG negative working against Troy is the staff doesn't trust him. And that should decide who is the Starter from here on out.

So in that vain I say Start Carr.

~Ceadder

He's been good with his throwing for the most part but I also don't trust him throwing in the red zone or in FG range. He makes some dumb decisions with sacks in those areas.

Ah but Alex has the jedi mind trick. He waves his hand and makes an outstanding play and makes people forget all the turnovers, fumbles and misses.

"Troy is not the QB you're looking for..."
"Move along"
[ Edited by DownInTheCity on Dec 6, 2010 at 2:04 PM ]
Originally posted by dj43:
My wife just came by and saw the title of this thread and just about went ballistic.

She is an English teacher. "How could anyone make two major grammatical errors in a 9 word sentence..." her voice then trailed off into the other room.

It was pretty funny.

so, was she talking about the niners? or the thread...hahaha cause I see it goin both ways..
Let me sum it up yet AGAIN peeps...

THEY DO NOT TRUST TROY WITH THE BALL.

Is this really that difficult to understand?

Billick even said it over and over again all game long yesterday. Main example is the inability to put 3 lousy points on the board to end the 1st half. I guarantee that it played a part in the lousy Defensive showing in the 2nd Half. Probably more than anyone wants to believe. Not that they didn't suck but look at the 1st Half. Kept them to 14 points in 2 Quarters of play. Once they started scoring at will the Defense just collapsed mentally.

~Ceadder
Share 49ersWebzone