LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 260 users in the forums

Our receivers are pathetic!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
just get a real hc, oc and qb and this whole offense takes off, i still would prefer to take aj green if luck or peterson werent available so we can end the morgan experiment
  • Chief
  • Veteran
I see our wideouts open all the time and the s**tty QB's miss them.

Just like they pointed out on NFC playbook this week. Showing Crabtree wide open on multiple plays but Troy Smith not seeing him and holding the ball too long.

I think you posted this engulfed in your manlove and without any real reason or knowledge about what you're saying.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
They aren't very good. Crabtree is pretty good although not great. We lack speed at all WR positions except Ginn and he is more a return guy. Plus we don't have a real big WR like Vincent Jackson.

Cosigned.
Originally posted by Chief:

Just like they pointed out on NFC playbook this week. Showing Crabtree wide open on multiple plays but Troy Smith not seeing him and holding the ball too long.
I think you posted this engulfed in your manlove and without any real reason or knowledge about what you're saying.

I believe he does this but link??? would be nice.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

It was on NFC playbook previewing the Packer game. Basically they were saying for us to have a chance Smith couldn't miss the wide open receivers like he has since he became the starter.

I'm sure you can find the break down somewhere. They showed multiple plays in slow motion, it was pretty sad.

I never said Crabs never gets open. However when he does, he certainly likes tipping the ball into defenders hands. Do they get open...yes. However they are covered far more than they are open. Do I agree that we need another new quarterback, yes, I stated that. I have also stated that our coaching is subpar but this group as a whole is just not cutting it.

If you think these receivers are good enough to get us through the playoffs in the years to come than I suggest a new television screen because the blur seems to be blocking your vision.
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Dec 5, 2010 at 9:56 PM ]
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

It was on NFC playbook previewing the Packer game. Basically they were saying for us to have a chance Smith couldn't miss the wide open receivers like he has since he became the starter.

I'm sure you can find the break down somewhere. They showed multiple plays in slow motion, it was pretty sad.

I was watching the same exact thing. They showed multiple plays where Troy Smith flat out missed the open receiver.
Troy Smith is just not a good quarterback. He's worse than Alex but that really doesn't matter at all. Both should not be starting on our team.
I think Troy Smith is a bigger problem than the receivers...
Alltime and Sac I couldn't agree with you more.

Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Troy Smith is just not a good quarterback. He's worse than Alex but that really doesn't matter at all. Both should not be starting on our team.

Agreed, neither is deserving of a 49er uniform.
  • dj43
Originally posted by excelsior:
I've been saying all season, as I tried to defend Alex, that our receivers were as much of the problem as his OL and the playcalling. Now, because Troy is in there, some of you fans, who refused to find blame anywhere except with Alex, are now noticing these areas. At least the scales are finally falling from your eyes.

During the PITT-BALT game tonight, we saw how valuable A. Boldin was to BALT. Did we sign him as a FA? No, because we keep our team salaries way under the salary cap. We can jump all over Sing (where it belongs) but never forget that most all of our problems are because of the Yorks - stupid hirings and tight wallets.
The problem starts with a poorly conceived offensive system with poorly designed routes which do not compliment each other.

Play sequencing is just terrible. I have been preaching this for weeks and today Brian Billick was saying the same thing.

The only receiver that would be starting on a good team would be Crabtree and he would be a #2 or even a #3 on several teams. Morgan has done nothing. Ginn is a good return guy but a castoff as a receiver.

In a way I am glad Troy is struggling because it should point the FO to just how badly this team needs a true #1 receiver for whatever QB comes in next year.
Our receivers are pretty good. we have a top 5 TE in Vernon Davis, Delanie Walker is a mismatch for anyone.. Crabtree is ready to breakout but doesnt have a solid QB to work with and needs more targets, Morgan is a decent #2 and Ginn is quick, fast and is a big play when the ball is on target...

Imagine Manning or Brady throwing to these guys, or even Rivers or Rodgers or Brees!!! the WR corps would get ALOT MOREE recognition..

With Troy Smith, we arent targeting Crabs and Davis enough..

We need to start Alex next week and just let him sling it from the spread now that we have Westbrook, he'd be more comfortable than Gore in the spread with the sweeps and screens..
Originally posted by 49ersnum1:
Our receivers are pretty good. we have a top 5 TE in Vernon Davis, Delanie Walker is a mismatch for anyone.. Crabtree is ready to breakout but doesnt have a solid QB to work with and needs more targets, Morgan is a decent #2 and Ginn is quick, fast and is a big play when the ball is on target...

Imagine Manning or Brady throwing to these guys, or even Rivers or Rodgers or Brees!!! the WR corps would get ALOT MOREE recognition..

We need to start Alex next week and just let him sling it from the spread now that we have Westbrook, he'd be more comfortable than Gore in the spread with the sweeps and screens..

Well I said the tightends were not the problem. Our tightends are great, but Ginn is like a stone handed cheetah out there, I've seen this guy alligator arming it several times this year as well as costly drops. Morgan only seems to get open against weak teams like the Cardinals but when we need him to show up against good teams like Green Bay, he's just not getting it done.

I do agree with you though that Alex should be starting now. Not that he's that much better than Troy but atleast he gets the ball to Vernon.
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
Originally posted by 49ersnum1:

Well I said the tightends were not the problem. Our tightends are great, but Ginn is like a stone handed cheetah out there, I've seen this guy alligator arming it several times this year as well as costly drops. Morgan only seems to get open against weak teams like the Cardinals but when we need him to show up against good teams like Green Bay, he's just not getting it done.

I do agree with you though that Alex should be starting now. Not that he's that much better than Troy but atleast he gets the ball to Vernon.

None of the Smiths should start. The last thing I want is for Alex to be even considered the starter because he had a few decent games. Plus, he has not even been able to proove that he can win in the shot-gun. His decision making and accuracy are just as bad as Troys.
Share 49ersWebzone