There are 230 users in the forums

Steve Young show on KNBR

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Originally posted by Hollywood:
"He said, if we start Alex Smith next year he gonna bust a cap in both our asses."

Man...if Spencer didn't bite on that option play...we win that game.

ha! man i thought that was gonna be alex's defining moment. beating the undefeated colts in indianapolis. i guess thats what happens when you dont make any halftime adjustments

Yeah no kidding. So frustrating. We ended the half so well with Alex going on that 2 min drive. I thought, at the time, that was easily Alex Smith's best drive of his career...making decisive throws, under pressure, fitting the ball into tight windows where only his receivers could get it, staying poised, etc. Then we come out 2nd half and we play conservative. Then of course...we get burned on a trick f**king play and lose. Ugh. Gotta believe better coaching makes a difference there. Thats why I believe in this season more than the last few because we FINALLY have offensive minded coaches. Like Cohn says...you gotta figure that BETTER (i.e. competent, basic NFL coaching) will yield at least 2 more wins which gives us 8-8 (and a playoff berth in our s**t division).
Then, in the weeks leading up to the '05 draft, 49ers executive Scot McCloughan put in a call to old mentor Mike Holmgren, who was the Seattle Seahawks coach at the time. Holmgren had been a 49ers offensive assistant from 1986-91 and an expert on quarterback play.

McCloughan told him that the 49ers were leaning toward Smith over Cal prospect Aaron Rodgers with the No. 1 pick. What did he think? "I told Scot, 'There will be a learning curve for him. You know it. I know it. But the owner has to know it. The media has to know it. Everybody has to know it,' " Holmgren recalled in a recent interview with the Los Angeles Times.

Instead, the 49ers rushed Smith into the starting job by Week 5, when he threw four interceptions, took five sacks and posted an 8.5 passer rating. The 49ers went on to finish last in the NFL in passing yards for the only time in franchise history.

Just like that, the 49ers' quarterback legacy was dead.

"He was destined to fail,"Holmgren told the Times.

Young, like several others interviewed for this story, said it remains impossible to properly evaluate Smith because of the quarterback's tumultuous circumstances. And, like others, Young said the hiring of Harbaugh gives the long-suffering No. 1 pick one last chance to get it right: Smith gets an offensive-minded head coach relaunching the same West Coast system that helped his dazzling predecessors become stars. Having endured his own tumultuous circumstances with the Buccaneers, Young said the key to continuing the 49ers' quarterback legacy is embracing the challenge.

San Francisco 49ers' legacy of quarterbacking greatness hits a dry spell

So frustrating. LOL you have Urban Meyer (Alex's old coach) and Mike freakin Holmgren (SB coach/offensive coach) telling you HOW to bring Alex along/what to expect, etc...and we just simply don't listen. Just an absolute indictment of this organization. Makes me even happier that McCloughan is gone.

This isn't even so much about Alex more than it is about how poorly the team was managed.
Then, in the weeks leading up to the '05 draft, 49ers executive Scot McCloughan put in a call to old mentor Mike Holmgren, who was the Seattle Seahawks coach at the time. Holmgren had been a 49ers offensive assistant from 1986-91 and an expert on quarterback play.

McCloughan told him that the 49ers were leaning toward Smith over Cal prospect Aaron Rodgers with the No. 1 pick. What did he think? "I told Scot, 'There will be a learning curve for him. You know it. I know it. But the owner has to know it. The media has to know it. Everybody has to know it,' " Holmgren recalled in a recent interview with the Los Angeles Times.

Instead, the 49ers rushed Smith into the starting job by Week 5, when he threw four interceptions, took five sacks and posted an 8.5 passer rating. The 49ers went on to finish last in the NFL in passing yards for the only time in franchise history.

Young, like several others interviewed for this story, said it remains impossible to properly evaluate Smith because of the quarterback's tumultuous circumstances. And, like others, Young said the hiring of Harbaugh gives the long-suffering No. 1 pick one last chance to get it right: Smith gets an offensive-minded head coach relaunching the same West Coast system that helped his dazzling predecessors become stars. Having endured his own tumultuous circumstances with the Buccaneers, Young said the key to continuing the 49ers' quarterback legacy is embracing the challenge.

So frustrating. LOL you have Urban Meyer (Alex's old coach) and Mike freakin Holmgren (SB coach/offensive coach) telling you HOW to bring Alex along/what to expect, etc...and we just simply don't listen. Just an absolute indictment of this organization. Makes me even happier that McCloughan is gone.

This isn't even so much about Alex more than it is about how poorly the team was managed.

Yep doesn't matter what QB was drafted in 05 the ball thrower would be just as bad.
Quote:

Agree. Just
Originally posted by kingairta:
Yep doesn't matter what QB was drafted in 05 the ball thrower would be just as bad.

But that's impossible, it just HAS to be Smith's fault...it just HAS to be.
Originally posted by kingairta:

That's not correct at all. Holmgren was specifically mentioning that because Alex Smith has zero knowledge of pro style offense, he needed to be groomed. Aaron Rogers would have had much more success coming from a WCO and going into McCarthy's WCO. He may not have been as effecicient but it is obvious he would have been a sort of gunslinger which is exactly why Nolan chose Alex over him.
[ Edited by Joecool on Sep 9, 2011 at 3:25 PM ]
Originally posted by Joecool:
That's not correct at all. Holmgren was specifically mentioning that because Alex Smith has zero knowledge of pro style offense, he needed to be groomed. Aaron Rogers would have had much more success coming from a WCO and going into McCarthy's WCO. He may not have been as effecicient but it is obvious he would have been a sort of gunslinger.
With as long as Rodgers likes to hold onto the ball, I personally think he would have had his career ended by now with the s**tty team we had back then.
http://www.csnbayarea.com/09/09/11/bRattob-Shut-up-about-Alex-Smith-/landing_ratto_v3.html?blockID=561850&feedID=2800
You're not kidding that he talks soooo much. Could you imagine him on speed?

Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
http://www.csnbayarea.com/09/09/11/bRattob-Shut-up-about-Alex-Smith-/landing_ratto_v3.html?blockID=561850&feedID=2800

Another good one. Talks about the bounty, Peyton and John Taylor.

http://www.knbr.com/portals/3/podcasts/razormrt/030512steveyoung.mp3
Wtf?
I understand it's all about the # of hits you can generate, but can can you please put the correct date on these recycled threads? you aways mislead everybody thinking its a fresh one. Let me leave you a fresh one
Share 49ersWebzone