LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 257 users in the forums

Steve Young show on KNBR

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by digital9er:
Originally posted by PlasmaHero:
For a minute what Steve Young said really made me think...and then I realized... its utter BULLs**t.

The reason the Patriots have a "legacy" is because they have a Hall of Fame QB in Tom Brady and a Hall of Fame Head coach in Beliciek.

The reason the Steelers have a "legacy" is because they have Dick Lebau, one of the greatest defensive minds ever.

They didn't mention the Colts but the Colts have a "legacy" because they have Peyton Manning, one of the greatest QB's of all time.

The reason the Niners have a "legacy" is because they had a genius head coach, and Two of the greatest Quarterbacks of all time.

This legacy, identity crap only works if you have Hall of Fame talent or a genius in your ranks. And there's no way of determining how to acquire or develop Hall of Fame talent or coaching. You can't use former glory to your advantage in anyway except for perhaps marketing.

I have more to say, but its time to watch Top Chef all-stars... finish this later..

This. I believe he can turn anyone into a star, the atheletes need just to be above average and that's about it.

Before Belichick lucked out with Tom Brady as a 6th round afterthought, he coached the Browns for 5 years with a 36-44 record. He runs into Tom Brady, and and then of course becomes a successful "coach".
The Patriots were also a pretty good team to begin with, even before Tom Brady.

Bill Walsh, on the other hand, turned a bad team into a champion by not only personally drafting a 3rd round quarterback he liked, but by drafting some of the best players to ever play.
Then Walsh goes out and finds a reject quarterback named Steve Young.

Bill Belichick is a good coach, but he is certainly not some "genius". Tom Brady and Adam Vinatieri pulled off some of the most legendary last minute heroics ever seen in football.

Bill Belichick has Tom Brady. Tony Dungy had Peyton Manning. They just happened to run into the right quarterback at the right time.
If Tom Brady or Peyton Manning were on the 49ers, everyone would talk about how "brilliant" Singletary is.

You live and die with the quarterback. Just ask the Arizona Cardinals.
No!

If P. Manning played for the 49ers, he would have played like he did this last Sunday night against the Chargers. He would be running for his life, his receivers would be dropping passes, etc - the stuff that happens to Alex and to Troy.

You guys continue to underestimate the value of the surrounding parts in affecting QB performance.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
I feel like there is so much more Steve wants to say and/or elaborate on but he just keeps things PC. I'd love to know what he really thinks about the Yorks, Jed, mgmt, etc.

I think the Steve Young interviews can cut down to only 10 minutes. The other 20 minutes is just rambling stating the complete obvious.

If Steve wasn't PC, he would say that this teams' coaching, philosophy and preparation suck.

I believe if you listen closely you could easily imply that he was indeed saying what is going on now sucks.

I heard the interview live and he was very clear that a big part of Singletary's problems revolve around not knowing what to do right now. The legacy part is all about always knowing what to do, based on your philosophy having worked.
Originally posted by Sjceruti:
Wow...I'm from CT so I dont know much about KNBR but I couldn't even finish listening because this guys voice was so annoying.

Who is he?

i havent listened at all, but based on ur description, im guessing Ralph Barbieri
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
I feel like there is so much more Steve wants to say and/or elaborate on but he just keeps things PC. I'd love to know what he really thinks about the Yorks, Jed, mgmt, etc.

I think the Steve Young interviews can cut down to only 10 minutes. The other 20 minutes is just rambling stating the complete obvious.

If Steve wasn't PC, he would say that this teams' coaching, philosophy and preparation suck.

True, there is a lot of rambling and obvious stuff in his interviews. Granted he's been inducted into the HOF, but so is Mike Singletary. Talk is cheap, and hindsight is plenty. I'm not particularly enlightened after listening to his interviews, but he does make some good points on occasion.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
For a minute what Steve Young said really made me think...and then I realized... its utter BULLs**t.

The reason the Patriots have a "legacy" is because they have a Hall of Fame QB in Tom Brady and a Hall of Fame Head coach in Beliciek.

The reason the Steelers have a "legacy" is because they have Dick Lebau, one of the greatest defensive minds ever.

They didn't mention the Colts but the Colts have a "legacy" because they have Peyton Manning, one of the greatest QB's of all time.

The reason the Niners have a "legacy" is because they had a genius head coach, and Two of the greatest Quarterbacks of all time.

This legacy, identity crap only works if you have Hall of Fame talent or a genius in your ranks. And there's no way of determining how to acquire or develop Hall of Fame talent or coaching. You can't use former glory to your advantage in anyway except for perhaps marketing.

I have more to say, but its time to watch Top Chef all-stars... finish this later..

This. I believe he can turn anyone into a star, the atheletes need just to be above average and that's about it.

Before Belichick lucked out with Tom Brady as a 6th round afterthought, he coached the Browns for 5 years with a 36-44 record. He runs into Tom Brady, and and then of course becomes a successful "coach".

Bill Walsh, on the other hand, turned a bad team into a champion by not only personally drafting a 3rd round quarterback he liked, but by drafting some of the best players to ever play.

Bill Belichick is a good coach, but he is certainly not some "genius". Tom Brady and Adam Vinatieri pulled off some of the most legendary last minute heroics ever seen in football.

Bill Belichick has Tom Brady. Tony Dungy had Peyton Manning. They just happened to run into the right quarterback at the right time.
If Tom Brady or Peyton Manning were on the 49ers, everyone would talk about how "brilliant" Singletary is.

I'm not disagreeing with you since I believe the QB is the most important position, but I'd like to mention the team that Dungy built in Tampa that he left to Gruden. He built a solid and winning football team that Gruden won the SB with. After a few years of Gruden the team sucked again.

LB

This is incorrect. Singletary's philosophy isn't QB friendly and certainly doesn't revolve around the QB, no matter how well the QB has played in previous games. This has been repeated over and over gain.
  • RKab
  • Veteran
The 49ers could learn a lot from a team like the Yankees that is so closely tied to their past and legacy and uses that both for marketing and to recruit talent to the team. Say what you will about the Yankees, guys are dying to play there and it is not just the money. And for a floundering organization like in SF that is trying to build a stadium I can't fathom why there isn't more of a connection to the past.

My line of thinking is fear that the current product is so piss poor that constantly reminding the fan base of how great the team used to be would make Sing and co. look even worse. There would be constant reminders that the team is run by mental midgets and that they team that was once one of the most glorious franchise in the league is a borderline laughing stock.

As I child my worst Sundays where when the 49ers didn't win by enough points. Sure we beat the Falcons but we only scored 17 - what the hell happened? Now we applaud the mediocre. Relish in the pedestrian.

So many free agents go to NY and say they wanted to play where "Babe Ruth played." How many guys says I want to play where Jerry Rice played? Or where "the catch" happened?
Originally posted by Sourball:
Originally posted by Chief:
Originally posted by Youngone:
Way too much Steve Young. That guy talks so freaking much.

Isn't it a radio show and isn't he a sports analyst?

Personally I prefer my radio with a more visual flair.

hahaha.....nah I was just saying its way too much Young. He never lets the other people talk and he sits there and talks about the same crap every time. I'm a young fan, I mean look at my name, but he kinda gets on my nerves when I hear him rant too much. a 15-30 min radio show with him talking 80% of the time is more than I could handle.

Did you guys know he was suppose to be in Something About Mary but he is married and felt it went against his Faith to do the part in the movie? Its true....and who steps up? Mr. Cocktext
  • dj43

Bad Bill admitted he learned a lot about what NOT to do during his time in Cleveland.

The genius of Belichick is his recognition of the importance of players surrounding the QB. In the last year he has done a lot of re-tooling but did it in a very careful way that preserved the system (legacy?) of the New England Patriots. That is what Young was referencing when he said Singletary does not have a grasp on what had made the 49er franchise successful over the years.

Originally posted by carlgo:
Sing came in wanting to dismantle the Niner legacy and way of playing. He doesn't understand it or like it at all.

And, of course, the ownership went the same way. They do not understand the passion of the past and in fact dislike it as much as Sing does.

And, as part of their plan to dismantle the past, the Yorks would probably sell to anyone but the Young group in order to complete their evil agenda.

WTF??
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Teams win a lot of games, then journalists and analysts throw a lot of superlatives at them.

Teams lose a lot of games then they suck and are doing the wrong thing.

If we were 9-1 now then we'd be having a different conversation and this "legacy" stuff wouldn't matter b/c we'd be winning and journalists would be masturbating all over us. But, since we're not, we get the opposite.

Just win games, everything else doesn't matter, just win.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Antix:
Teams win a lot of games, then journalists and analysts throw a lot of superlatives at them.

Teams lose a lot of games then they suck and are doing the wrong thing.

If we were 9-1 now then we'd be having a different conversation and this "legacy" stuff wouldn't matter b/c we'd be winning and journalists would be masturbating all over us. But, since we're not, we get the opposite.

Just win games, everything else doesn't matter, just win.

In order to win games, it's based on everything else though :-P
I don't give a f**k what system we use to win, the niners legacy isn't about style of play to me, it is more about winning.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by excelsior:
No!

If P. Manning played for the 49ers, he would have played like he did this last Sunday night against the Chargers. He would be running for his life, his receivers would be dropping passes, etc - the stuff that happens to Alex and to Troy.

You guys continue to underestimate the value of the surrounding parts in affecting QB performance.

And if the Smith brothers played in Indy they would be headed to the Hall of Fame, yea right!
Share 49ersWebzone