There are 77 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Steve Young show on KNBR

Steve Young on KNBR, a great interview, he talks about Singletary and the 49ers identity. The second half of the interview is awesome.
http://www.knbr.com/portals/3/podcasts/razormrt/1201young.mp3
Way too much Steve Young. That guy talks so freaking much.
Summary?
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Summary?

It would be like reading one of my rambling rants.

Nutshell: 49ers have a legacy. Singletary doesn't fit that legacy. This makes things hard for Singletary.

Lots of other stuff, but I think that's the big thing.
For a minute what Steve Young said really made me think...and then I realized... its utter BULLs**t.

The reason the Patriots have a "legacy" is because they have a Hall of Fame QB in Tom Brady and a Hall of Fame Head coach in Beliciek.

The reason the Steelers have a "legacy" is because they have Dick Lebau, one of the greatest defensive minds ever.

They didn't mention the Colts but the Colts have a "legacy" because they have Peyton Manning, one of the greatest QB's of all time.

The reason the Niners have a "legacy" is because they had a genius head coach, and Two of the greatest Quarterbacks of all time.

This legacy, identity crap only works if you have Hall of Fame talent or a genius in your ranks. And there's no way of determining how to acquire or develop Hall of Fame talent or coaching. You can't use former glory to your advantage in anyway except for perhaps marketing.

I have more to say, but its time to watch Top Chef all-stars... finish this later..
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PlasmaHero:
You can't use former glory to your advantage in anyway except for perhaps marketing.

I think that's kinda what Steve was saying....

It's hard to market yourself as a head coach in a city with a legacy that is completely counter to your philosophy as a head coach.

He was kinda sticking up for Singletary in a way... without saying he's actually a good coach.

He has a law degree.

And maybe a few too many concussions.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Youngone:

Isn't it a radio show and isn't he a sports analyst?
Originally posted by Wodwo:
You can't use former glory to your advantage in anyway except for perhaps marketing.

I think that's kinda what Steve was saying....

It's hard to market yourself as a head coach in a city with a legacy that is completely counter to your philosophy as a head coach.

He was kinda sticking up for Singletary in a way... without saying he's actually a good coach.

He has a law degree.

And maybe a few too many concussions.

Well they referenced the Westbrook interview where he was asked what the Niners could do to turn their organization into something akin to the Eagles organization in terms of winning, so I thought thats what Steve was referring to.. I could be wrong though *shrug*
I feel like there is so much more Steve wants to say and/or elaborate on but he just keeps things PC. I'd love to know what he really thinks about the Yorks, Jed, mgmt, etc.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

Well they referenced the Westbrook interview where he was asked what the Niners could do to turn their organization into something akin to the Eagles organization in terms of winning, so I thought thats what Steve was referring to.. I could be wrong though *shrug*

Yeah, I have no idea... I said a full summary would look like one of my long rambling rants, didn't I?

Plus, I've also probably had too many concussions. Is two too many? I keep losing count after that....
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
I feel like there is so much more Steve wants to say and/or elaborate on but he just keeps things PC. I'd love to know what he really thinks about the Yorks, Jed, mgmt, etc.

That's why I mentioned that he has a law degree. Guy is real careful with his words... so much so that he trips all over them.

I think he desperately wants to steal the team away from the Yorks. I can hear it in my head box. It talks to me when it has words that mean stuff other than that which were spoken. Plus, it makes some awesome toast.
Originally posted by Chief:
Originally posted by Youngone:

Isn't it a radio show and isn't he a sports analyst?

I guess he would rather listen to silence
For a minute what Steve Young said really made me think...and then I realized... its utter BULLs**t.

The reason the Patriots have a "legacy" is because they have a Hall of Fame QB in Tom Brady and a Hall of Fame Head coach in Beliciek.

The reason the Steelers have a "legacy" is because they have Dick Lebau, one of the greatest defensive minds ever.

They didn't mention the Colts but the Colts have a "legacy" because they have Peyton Manning, one of the greatest QB's of all time.

The reason the Niners have a "legacy" is because they had a genius head coach, and Two of the greatest Quarterbacks of all time.

This legacy, identity crap only works if you have Hall of Fame talent or a genius in your ranks. And there's no way of determining how to acquire or develop Hall of Fame talent or coaching. You can't use former glory to your advantage in anyway except for perhaps marketing.

I have more to say, but its time to watch Top Chef all-stars... finish this later..

This. I believe he can turn anyone into a star, the atheletes need just to be above average and that's about it.
I agree with Steve. Turning the 49ers' legacy into smash mouth is very hard to swallow, and that coupled with losing? It makes me want Holmgren to be the next coach even more.
Every Steve Young interview usually includes either/or:

1. Blah blah remember when I threw that ball to Brent Jones, and he s**t his pants!?

2. Blah blah blah you gotta role-play to get better at QB play.

3. blah blah blah I should be running this team.

4. Blah blah blah I was always in Montana's shadow.