There are 281 users in the forums

Eddie DeBArtolo Interview (Very Interesting)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • hb123
  • Veteran
so he Said big coaching changes are coming and is Considering getting back into the game.

i say, "dont tell me, Show ME!!!"
  • Pick6
  • Veteran
MAYBE, if we lose everygame left this year, and ALL our games NEXT year, then we lose most of our games the year after that Eddie D will come back,

I think the frachise would be much better with Eddie D back at the helm so I am going to root for the team to lose for the next 3 years... and hope that we can land The Man.

sorry i think i stumbled into a thread that didn't have anything to do with wanting the 9ers to lose... what are the odds?[/i]
Originally posted by BigYellowKahuna:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by craigyboy:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by NC49erfan82:
Originally posted by WestCoast:
is eddie d. banned from the NFL? or can he come back in some capacity?

I think he has to be revoted in by Owners commity

I thought he was already eligible to come back?

was my understandin too. he "says" he's just enjoying time with grandchildren

personally I think that unless he can own the 49ers again then he doesn't want to own another team. Damn it Yorks! Return the team to it's rightful owner, Eddie D
!

My question is why does he have to be an owner? Can't he be named team President and run the team ala Parcells/Holgrem?

Here's the difference: With the Yorks, it's an INVESTMENT (if you can call it that because they were literally GIVEN the team) and there's a limit on what they want to spend. With Eddie D, it would be an OBSESSION in that he would want a winning team ASAP, and be willing to do WHATEVER it takes to make it happen.

But he wouldn't be foolish enough to spend a lot of his own money and time if he can't be at least become a part owner. Certainly, the Yorks would NOT allow him free access to THEIR money.

That's why I'm a bit leery of who the next Head Coach will be. Anybody good will be wanting a lot of money and some guarantees.

[ Edited by Kauaiguy on Dec 2, 2010 at 22:58:04 ]
Originally posted by hb123:
so he Said big coaching changes are coming and is Considering getting back into the game.

-Q: Everybody asks you, so I will, too—any glimmer of a chance you could get back into NFL ownership?

-DeBARTOLO: Actually, I had dinner last week with Joe Montana, we had a bunch of laughs. He was in Tampa, spent the night just at dinner talking.

He’s got that old saying, “been there, done that.”

You know, I’m spending my time doing what we’re doing, some development work and doing some sports hospitality work and some things and I’m spending a lot of time with my family and we’re traveling and with my grandkids.

I think I’ll leave winning championship to younger people like Jed. But I’m always here to help in any way I can.
Unquote

Show me where it says he is thinking of getting back into the game.
  • hb123
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:

-Q: Everybody asks you, so I will, too—any glimmer of a chance you could get back into NFL ownership?

-DeBARTOLO: Actually, I had dinner last week with Joe Montana, we had a bunch of laughs. He was in Tampa, spent the night just at dinner talking.

You know, I’m spending my time doing what we’re doing, some development work and doing some sports hospitality work and some things and I’m spending a lot of time with my family and we’re traveling and with my grandkids.

I think I’ll leave winning championship to younger people like Jed. But I’m always here to help in any way I can.
Unquote

Originally posted by Blitz:
Said, big coaching changes are coming.

Considering getting back into the game.

i was not talking about the article
  • hb123
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:

Unquote

Originally posted by Blitz:
Said, big coaching changes are coming.

Considering getting back into the game.

i was not talking about the article

This sounds all well and good, and hopefully the right changes are made - but is there even going to be an NFL season next year?
Hopefully Eddie D. is saying Jed needs to lean out the organization. Don't they have some stupid amount of Vice Presidents of whatever?
And I hope he's saying Jed needs to wrap his arms around this thing and OWN IT. Make the tough, big decisions that will change the future of the franchise.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by carlgo:
Kawakami was just on KNBR with R&T. He said he spoke with Eddy D and was told that big changes are coming. He did not mention the necessity to win or lose, but that changes were coming. TK said he took it to mean the front office and Singletary.

He also said that they wanted to draft a QB but that Sing somehow got into a strong enough position to overrule the front office and insisted on the linemen and safety. TK said it in terms of Sing being very pushy (in so many words) about the draft.

I think it is wrong to keep him hanging, and they need to evaluate the team without his influence, but I have less fear that York will keep him no matter what at the end of the year, at least.

I'm kinda glad we didn't draft a QB, now we're in better position to pick up a better one then what was available. Well two more losses and we will be, not that I'm hoping though.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by carlgo:
Kawakami was just on KNBR with R&T. He said he spoke with Eddy D and was told that big changes are coming. He did not mention the necessity to win or lose, but that changes were coming. TK said he took it to mean the front office and Singletary.

He also said that they wanted to draft a QB but that Sing somehow got into a strong enough position to overrule the front office and insisted on the linemen and safety. TK said it in terms of Sing being very pushy (in so many words) about the draft.

I think it is wrong to keep him hanging, and they need to evaluate the team without his influence, but I have less fear that York will keep him no matter what at the end of the year, at least.

I'm kinda glad we didn't draft a QB, now we're in better position to pick up a better one then what was available. Well two more losses and we will be, not that I'm hoping though.

As long as we get someone who actually knows how to evaluate QBs (like Walsh's uncanny ability) before the draft. It would be disastrous to get another high pick like Alex Smith... talk about holding the franchise back a whole generation! I think we'd have a revolution if we had 6 more years of this nonesense.

Originally posted by 49ERGUY:
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
Originally posted by verb1der:
Originally posted by djfullshred:
Originally posted by NC49erfan82:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by valrod33:
timkawakami Tim Kawakami

Eddie D on Jed, if 49ers miss playoffs: "He’s going to have to regroup & make some real, real tough decisions, which he will do."

This is why the 49ers MUST miss the playoffs, because I know if they make it in that Sing will be back next year.

Changes must be made and the only way to guarantee them is by losing now.

He aint coming back

If the niners win the division he will be back.

no

yes

NO

YES !!!

I dont see it happening either way. We fired Mooch after that spectacular WC win vs Giants and we were already divisional champs that year as well. Jed has to know and if Eddie is as smart as we all think he is then you know hes giving Jed the elbow saying "Do you really think this guy is going to win you a championship and make your team a respectful powerhouse organization?". Mike is gone no matter what and Jim Harbaugh will be in. I smell it it coming.

well, more accurately, John York fired Marriuci after Tampa Bay destroyed the Niners in the next playoff game. Still unfair though, considering TB was the best team in the NFL that year.

Considering how bad this year has been, and all the negativity and hopelessnes, it's safe to say that all Niner fans are still holding their breaths for something exciting to happen, for better or worse.

I don't think that coaching the team to a first ever 7-9 playoff berth is enough to save Sing's job.

If they win out, and have a strong showing in the post season, then Sing will probably say the losing was all Alex's fault and talk his way into keeping the job.

I hope they do make the playoffs, but I can't see them doing well enough for him to stay.

I agree , I don't see Singletary remaining with the team. Just like Eddie pointed out the team is playing in a very weak division and I don't see Jed york excepting the way our team has played in the same weak @ss division under Mike Singletary. He has to see the lack of adjustments being made in games by the coaching staff. I think that changes will be coming. Eddie must be whispering in Jed's ear.

Yeah Singletary will probably blame Alex and the loss of Gore but I don't see him retaining his job. If we make the playoffs we will be outcoached quickly.

I think if we make the playoffs Jed will realize that it was in spite of the coach and not because of the coach. There is way too much pressure to get rid of him. I don't he wants to risk having to fire him mid-way through next season which will happen if we have the same start we did this season. It seems likely or at least easier to hire Harbaugh. The only other rumor I've heard regarding him has been the Mich. job but I don't think Rodriguez is getting fired. Gruden's name has been popping up everywhere so I think that would be a much harder hire.
Share 49ersWebzone