There are 236 users in the forums

Will we ever see Alex Smith and Frank Gore together on the field again?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Will we ever see Alex Smith and Frank Gore together on the field again?

Originally posted by dj43:
The answer is "no." Alex has had enough of this retched franchise and coaching staff. Even if the new HC gets down on his knees I don't see Smith here next year - his decision.

If the Alex haters want to see a fast forward version of how Alex was re-programmed from a creative playmaker in college to a tentative game manager, just watch what has happened to Troy since he first started against Denver up through this last game.

Mike Johnson and Mike Singletary have both been quoted on the same topic. Johnson wanted to encourage Troy's creativity with plays designed to do that. Singletary said they needed to work on Troy's "bad habits."

Sing got his way. In the last two games, Troy's passes have all been "safe" ones. No more "bad habits." Anyone that isn't seeing that is not watching.

Say HELLO to the latest "game manager." His name is Troy Smith.

Let's see.. Sing's bad habits: I'll have to look at the film, habitually forms a half-baked game plan, seldom ever get's around to adjusting game plan after the opposing team has figured his original half-baked plan, thows players under the bus, run fank gore up the middle-guess he'll have to break that habit.
sam bradford, matt ryan, joe flacco...all have shown more than alex did in his first 3 years....

while the franchise didn't exactly make things easy for him, he didn't show enough to be a starter
Originally posted by jb49ers80:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Yes, in 2014 for the NE Patriots.

You actually think the Patriots would consider starting Alex Smith?

Yes, I do. Belichick is totally BFFs with Urban Meyer, and Meyer loves Alex. Hell, Belichick made Cassel look good and the Pats basically run the spread offense that Alex had success with at Utah. Plus he would be in the same offense for 4 years at that point. I think Belichick could make Alex look good.

I have to say half the teams in the NFL would make Alex look good.

They just need to do this...

Call plays in ON TIME. Average 10+ seconds left on the play clock. We don't. We're doing good if we average 6.

Don't go to the Well too often. We do. If a screen works solidly, we go right back to it. Frank gets a 10 yard Run up the middle we pound it there twice more regardless of yards achieved.

Bench non performing players. When the ball gets to them and they drop it or cough it up for a pick, bench their asses. I'm sure there are other Receivers in the depth chart that would love the opportunity to catch Passes. Like *cough* Jason Hill *hack*. Ziggy is done for the season and where is Hill now? Oh that's right we cut him once again to bring up Shane friggin Andrus?!!! By game's end we had 3 Receivers, not including Delanie Walker.

If you can't call the plays consistently enough, let him call his own. That guy can play well enough. He's not Peyton Manning but hell Manning threw two picks on Sunday. And he's got tons more experience than Alex does.

Oh and just protect the guy. He is the most hit QB in the League. Or was. On every down whether he had the ball or not he pretty much got annihilated. Opposing teams get away with murder unless it's absolutely blatant.

And just have a staff that has some imagination. A little play calling imagination can go a long way to making average QBs' look good. Don't believe me? Derek Anderson back in his first season as a Starter. Cleveland was lighting teams up. Now look at him. People complain that Alex stares down his Receivers? DA did that all game long. Alex does it occasionally. Alex is by no means perfect. Neither was Garcia. But look at what a reasonable change of pace did for Garcia when he was in Philly and in Tampa. Played in the system he knew with solid protection and people were wishing he were back here.

Be careful what you wish for folks, it has a way of biting us in the ass.Some people never learn I guess.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by fly15:
Originally posted by new49er:
Alex will be a good QB somewhere else. The San Francisco 49ers ruined his career.

worst post of all time

It might be, if it weren't probably true.
Originally posted by Ceadderman:

Yes, I do. Belichick is totally BFFs with Urban Meyer, and Meyer loves Alex. Hell, Belichick made Cassel look good and the Pats basically run the spread offense that Alex had success with at Utah. Plus he would be in the same offense for 4 years at that point. I think Belichick could make Alex look good.

Call plays in ON TIME. Average 10+ seconds left on the play clock. We don't. We're doing good if we average 6.

Don't go to the Well too often. We do. If a screen works solidly, we go right back to it. Frank gets a 10 yard Run up the middle we pound it there twice more regardless of yards achieved.

Bench non performing players. When the ball gets to them and they drop it or cough it up for a pick, bench their asses. I'm sure there are other Receivers in the depth chart that would love the opportunity to catch Passes. Like *cough* Jason Hill *hack*. Ziggy is done for the season and where is Hill now? Oh that's right we cut him once again to bring up Shane friggin Andrus?!!! By game's end we had 3 Receivers, not including Delanie Walker.

If you can't call the plays consistently enough, let him call his own. That guy can play well enough. He's not Peyton Manning but hell Manning threw two picks on Sunday. And he's got tons more experience than Alex does.

Oh and just protect the guy. He is the most hit QB in the League. Or was. On every down whether he had the ball or not he pretty much got annihilated. Opposing teams get away with murder unless it's absolutely blatant.

And just have a staff that has some imagination. A little play calling imagination can go a long way to making average QBs' look good. Don't believe me? Derek Anderson back in his first season as a Starter. Cleveland was lighting teams up. Now look at him. People complain that Alex stares down his Receivers? DA did that all game long. Alex does it occasionally. Alex is by no means perfect. Neither was Garcia. But look at what a reasonable change of pace did for Garcia when he was in Philly and in Tampa. Played in the system he knew with solid protection and people were wishing he were back here.

Be careful what you wish for folks, it has a way of biting us in the ass.Some people never learn I guess.

~Ceadder

Peyton threw FOUR picks on Sunday. All while the Colts OL was playing like the 49ers OL.
Originally posted by fly15:
Originally posted by new49er:
Alex will be a good QB somewhere else. The San Francisco 49ers ruined his career.

worst post of all time

Happens to be true.
If Alex signs for the minimum veteran salary I would keep him around to back up T. Smith and draft a QB on the 3rd round, it woul have to be a QB for the future not merely for backup purposes and bring him along slowly. It will all be dependant on who the new HC will be and the offensive system.

~Ceadder

All good QB throws picks now and then. The difference is, when Manning, Brees, Brady, Rivers throw picks more often than NOT they make up for it and the fans know that. With Alex Smith, there's little chance that he can come back and he's proven it time and time again. Keep rooting for him Bro ... it's your rights and let me know when he goes to another team and lights up the scoreboard and I will cry in my beer. OH WAIT! I don't drink!

[ Edited by Kauaiguy on Dec 1, 2010 at 07:57:55 ]
Originally posted by Gavintech:

~Ceadder

Peyton threw FOUR picks on Sunday. All while the Colts OL was playing like the 49ers OL.

My bad. Didn't see that game only the highlight reel and it showed only two and didn't say anything more.

Four picks tho? Has Alex ever had a 4 pick day? I'm pretty sure he'd thrown three but not sure if he had 4. And good call if their OLine was playing as bad as ours has.

You should listen to Ted Robinson's interview with Ralph and Tom. He pretty puts things into perspective pretty well.

~Ceadder

Special Teams

Originally posted by Gavintech:

~Ceadder

My bad. Didn't see that game only the highlight reel and it showed only two and didn't say anything more.

Four picks tho? Has Alex ever had a 4 pick day? I'm pretty sure he'd thrown three but not sure if he had 4. And good call if their OLine was playing as bad as ours has.

You should listen to Ted Robinson's interview with Ralph and Tom. He pretty puts things into perspective pretty well.

~Ceadder

Yup. Alex had a 4 pick day against Indy of all teams!

The other side of the coin is that Payton has had multiple 4 TD games; but, Alex has never had one...

[ Edited by D_Niner on Dec 1, 2010 at 08:27:27 ]
I sure hope not. That would mean they resigned Smith to another contract, which is absolutely ridiculous...
  • Rulo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by D_Niner:

Special Teams

Maybe we can trade them both + Haralson and Goldson for TOM
  • dj43
Originally posted by WestCoast:
sam bradford,

Has the benefit of Pat Shurmur, a very good offensive mind who will soon become a very good HC in this league.

Quote:
matt ryan,
Joined a very solid team with a great receiver, very good defense and solid offensive philosophy

Quote:
joe flacco...
Has proven to be a very average quarterback that has benefitted from a top tier defense and solid running game. He is asked to do very little to help his team win. The prototypical game manager.

Quote:
all have shown more than alex did in his first 3 years....
As noted above, you are comparing apples and oranges.

Quote:
while the franchise didn't exactly make things easy for him,
Now you are close. The franchise made it virtually impossible for him.
Quote:
he didn't show enough to be a starter
He did show enough to be a starter the one year he actually had a decent OC in Norv Turner.

This coaching staff does not WANT a productive QB. All they want is a puppet game manager. The programming of Troy Smith is already having an effect. Just watch and see. You will be enlightened.
He needs instincts, the same thing that helped Shaun Hill go 10-6 (?) with the same team Alex had at his disposal. Too bad that's all Shaun has going for himself.
Share 49ersWebzone