LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 223 users in the forums

Poll - Did You Want The Niners To Lose? Man Up!

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Poll - Did You Want The Niners To Lose? Man Up!

Originally posted by Pick6:
Originally posted by bracus:
Does nobody see the bigger picture? Most likely Alex and Carr are gone after this season. I like Troy Smith but I think he's been exposed. He throws best out of the pocket, therefore good teams will contain him. HE IS NOT OUR FUTURE. I agree Sing is gone no matter what, but we desperately need a QB more then ever.

top 4 QBS (just examples)
Luck
Mallet
Locker
Dalton

Let's say Luck, Mallet and Locker are gone by our pick and we take Dalton, cause he's really our last option. How sh*tty would it be if all 3 other QBs become franchise QBs and we get the Alex Smith of the future?

That is what I fear most. Is lose now means win sooner, I'm all for it. And I think the better the QB we get, the MORE we win. Might take half a season longer but hell, I've waited 7 years. What's a few more months?

How s**tty would it be if we lose out and get Luck who then becomes Alex Smith, and Mallet, Locker and Dalton turn into Aaron Rodgers? Oh wait thats how this whole mess got started in the first place.

I can go through draft after draft and find you can't miss QB's picked high who failed miserably and cost their team years and money... Draft well doesn't mean having the highest pick

We'd be in the same place with Rodgers that we are with Alex. McCarthy has stated in interviews that he signed off on Alex. But then bolted and left us high and dry and Alex to pick up the pieces with a crap Line, bad play calling, a Receivers coach that seems to have a man crush on any practice warrior and a Coach that threw him under the bus.

But whatever, I only hope he lands on his feet and makes everyone that bad mouths him look foolish. Causde I don't see him ending up like Carr. Not when there are plenty of teams that run the numbers system.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by PlasmaHero:
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
I can't believe how many people voted yes on this question. How could any "true" fan want their team to lose, no matter the circumstances. So many people want a high draft pick and most want to take Luck. Well yes the kid is a awesome COLLEGE quarterback but why people are so eager to lose so that they may get a player who has never played a down in the NFL is far beyond me.

I love how everyone is saying they're more of a fan than anyone else. All that you guys know about everyone else on here is their username. For all you know the guy with 1 post might have his house painted red and gold with kids named Joe and Steve. And the guy with 237,347,856 posts also roots for the Cowboys.

If you root for your team to lose, you're not a good fan. Bottom line. And if you dont believe me, go up to Takeo Spikes or Vernon Davis and tell them that you're rooting for them to lose for the greater good and see if they respect you as a fan

Go ask a Rams fan if they're still p*ssed they lost last year. Then we can talk. And honestly, this is a job to them. I'm not saying they don't care at all, but your crazy if you think they care what I do on Sunday.

Are you kidding me? You're rooting for them to lose and you think you care more about the game than they do? The players that actually play it? Where is your perspective? The way our guys play it should be obvious that they care about the game, and winning..we're one of the most physical teams in the league. You think the Rams fans enjoyed enduring a 1-15 season? The high draft pick is a consolation prize for having to suffer through that catastrophe....

I really dont know how to explain to you why winning is good, and losing is bad. I'm trying, but the very fact that I have to try is pissing me off. Time to get high.
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Does nobody see the bigger picture? Most likely Alex and Carr are gone after this season. I like Troy Smith but I think he's been exposed. He throws best out of the pocket, therefore good teams will contain him. HE IS NOT OUR FUTURE. I agree Sing is gone no matter what, but we desperately need a QB more then ever.

top 4 QBS (just examples)
Luck
Mallet
Locker
Dalton

Let's say Luck, Mallet and Locker are gone by our pick and we take Dalton, cause he's really our last option. How sh*tty would it be if all 3 other QBs become franchise QBs and we get the Alex Smith of the future?

That is what I fear most. Is lose now means win sooner, I'm all for it. And I think the better the QB we get, the MORE we win. Might take half a season longer but hell, I've waited 7 years. What's a few more months?

How s**tty would it be if we lose out and get Luck who then becomes Alex Smith, and Mallet, Locker and Dalton turn into Aaron Rodgers? Oh wait thats how this whole mess got started in the first place.

I can go through draft after draft and find you can't miss QB's picked high who failed miserably and cost their team years and money... Draft well doesn't mean having the highest pick

We'd be in the same place with Rodgers that we are with Alex. McCarthy has stated in interviews that he signed off on Alex. But then bolted and left us high and dry and Alex to pick up the pieces with a crap Line, bad play calling, a Receivers coach that seems to have a man crush on any practice warrior and a Coach that threw him under the bus.

But whatever, I only hope he lands on his feet and makes everyone that bad mouths him look foolish. Causde I don't see him ending up like Carr. Not when there are plenty of teams that run the numbers system.

~Ceadder

Carr was in a similar situation in Houston. Us Alex hatin' fools can't wait until he signs with another team and fizzles away into NFL obscurity like the other bust first round QB picks.
  • buck
  • Veteran
I want to the 49ers win, because I am a fan of the team.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Nope.

Originally posted by truekingcarlos:
Originally posted by ninertico:
And another thing...

Even if we lose out now, there is no way we would still get to Luck with only 4 wins so just forget about it.

Take a look at Carolina's, Detroit's, Cincy's and Buffalo's schedule for the next five weeks. Yea, good luck with that!

IMO, I believe that it will come down like this:

Car-2-14
Det-2-14
Cin-2-14
Buf-2-14
AZ-3-13

Those five will be before us no matter what and look, AZ is looking for a QB too. Oops they're in front of us so not even Mallett is an option for they will reach for him instead of Locker or Newton, IMO.

Therefore, please put the Luck sweepstakes ticket in the garbage because there is no way we will have a shot.

So start cheering for your team again!
Dude, I don't care about Luck!!!!!!!! I only care about getting rid of Sing and then hiring real football people with a history of winning!!!!!

It's not about the draft! It's about the leadership. Imagine if we had a real coach? Do you think we would suck this bad with a Holmgren, Gruden, or Shanahan?

Losing will get us Holmgren, Gruden or even Harbaugh (I ommitted Shanny cuz hes got a gig in Washington) REALLY? ... NO I MEAN REALLY??

Dallas and Minnesota are already better options... IF we lost as you want, Carolina is probably a more likely option for Gruden than the 9ers... IF he's going to pick a loser why not one thats close to his family?

This losing will be better for us logic has issues... there is no guarantee that we will get the QB or the COACH that YOU (WE/US) want if we lose. HOWEVER if we win out I guarantee a playoff spot.
Once again, someone does not know how to read? Where in my post did I say we would get any of the above? It was a hypothetical. I used the word IMAGINE! The point being that any winning coach would have us with a BETTER record than Sing does.

Read in context.
There are too many "fans" on this webzone that bail on there team. I will never understand why anyone in their right mind would intentionally want their team to lose just to have their coaching staff fired or to get a better draft pick. Both are very foolish positions that could very well delay the development of this club for years. I am first and foremost a Niners Fan, I dont care of I dont like the management or the coaching staff...I have been a Niner Fan for over 35 years and I will not bail on my team...I see enough of that garbage here in Indianapolis when the colts run into a rough patch. Come on guys, be proud of our Niner Past by sticking with our team. Eventually they will get things figured out...Go Niners.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninerswin49:
There are too many "fans" on this webzone that bail on there team. I will never understand why anyone in their right mind would intentionally want their team to lose just to have their coaching staff fired or to get a better draft pick. Both are very foolish positions that could very well delay the development of this club for years. I am first and foremost a Niners Fan, I dont care of I dont like the management or the coaching staff...I have been a Niner Fan for over 35 years and I will not bail on my team...I see enough of that garbage here in Indianapolis when the colts run into a rough patch. Come on guys, be proud of our Niner Past by sticking with our team. Eventually they will get things figured out...Go Niners.

When was the last time before a 49ers game you felt like we would be able to outcoach the other team?
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
I either hope we win enough to get in to the playoffs or lose enough to ensure Singletary gets fired.
I can't believe how many people voted yes on this question. How could any "true" fan want their team to lose, no matter the circumstances. So many people want a high draft pick and most want to take Luck. Well yes the kid is a awesome COLLEGE quarterback but why people are so eager to lose so that they may get a player who has never played a down in the NFL is far beyond me.

I love how everyone is saying they're more of a fan than anyone else. All that you guys know about everyone else on here is their username. For all you know the guy with 1 post might have his house painted red and gold with kids named Joe and Steve. And the guy with 237,347,856 posts also roots for the Cowboys.

If you root for your team to lose, you're not a good fan. Bottom line. And if you dont believe me, go up to Takeo Spikes or Vernon Davis and tell them that you're rooting for them to lose for the greater good and see if they respect you as a fan

Go ask a Rams fan if they're still p*ssed they lost last year. Then we can talk. And honestly, this is a job to them. I'm not saying they don't care at all, but your crazy if you think they care what I do on Sunday.

Are you kidding me? You're rooting for them to lose and you think you care more about the game than they do? The players that actually play it? Where is your perspective? The way our guys play it should be obvious that they care about the game, and winning..we're one of the most physical teams in the league. You think the Rams fans enjoyed enduring a 1-15 season? The high draft pick is a consolation prize for having to suffer through that catastrophe....

I really dont know how to explain to you why winning is good, and losing is bad. I'm trying, but the very fact that I have to try is pissing me off. Time to get high.

You remind me of Jimmy Fallon in "Fever Pitch" when he can't believe the Red Sox players are just eating and smiling after a loss and he can't believe it lol.

• Shifty
  • Veteran

I guarantee you the Rams fans are saying they would gladly take a 1-15 season to have Sam Bradford for the next 10+ years.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:

I guarantee you the Rams fans are saying they would gladly take a 1-15 season to have Sam Bradford for the next 10+ years.

Did you enjoy going 2-14 and having Alex Smith the last 6 years?

Two sides to every coin, friend.
Originally posted by truekingcarlos:
Originally posted by ninertico:
And another thing...

Even if we lose out now, there is no way we would still get to Luck with only 4 wins so just forget about it.

Take a look at Carolina's, Detroit's, Cincy's and Buffalo's schedule for the next five weeks. Yea, good luck with that!

IMO, I believe that it will come down like this:

Car-2-14
Det-2-14
Cin-2-14
Buf-2-14
AZ-3-13

Those five will be before us no matter what and look, AZ is looking for a QB too. Oops they're in front of us so not even Mallett is an option for they will reach for him instead of Locker or Newton, IMO.

Therefore, please put the Luck sweepstakes ticket in the garbage because there is no way we will have a shot.

So start cheering for your team again!
Dude, I don't care about Luck!!!!!!!! I only care about getting rid of Sing and then hiring real football people with a history of winning!!!!!

It's not about the draft! It's about the leadership. Imagine if we had a real coach? Do you think we would suck this bad with a Holmgren, Gruden, or Shanahan?

WTH does that have to do with the tea in China? You're losing the point.

You not a true fan if you want this team to lose period...IMHO.

So it is 60% No and 40% yes.

40% of people who voted wanted the niners to lose. Is there a talley of who voted for who?
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:

Did you enjoy going 2-14 and having Alex Smith the last 6 years?

Two sides to every coin, friend.

Gotta think long term though. I would hate to finish 7-9, Singletary stay and leave us in no position to improve the QB position, I'd rather finish 2-14, get Andrew Luck and a proven coach.

Call me a s**tty fan if you want but the way i see it, is this season was over by week 4 or 5, i'd have gladly bitten the bullet and said f**k it, lets work in the young players (Mays and Bowman), get Luck and get ourselves a real coach.
Share 49ersWebzone