There are 268 users in the forums

Poll - Did You Want The Niners To Lose? Man Up!

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Poll - Did You Want The Niners To Lose? Man Up!

and FYI, anybody who's sat through this horrible product for all these years is a die-hard IMO. I'm from Vegas and for Baseball the Cubs were always on TV so I became a Cubs fan. You can never call me a "front-runner".
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by ninertico:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

For those who state that they would never cheer for their team to lose, because they are the true "fans", they are liars, and hypocrits. .

I never, ever rooted for my team to lose since I was young enough to watch NinerBall on my Dad's lap...ever!

Blanket statements like this only magnify just how self-absorbed you are in your analysis of us as fans.

I still want change after the season, but not at the expense of losing. If it happens that way so be it, but don't come in here and tell me I am a liar and hypocrite because them's fightin' words sir!

Don't assume how we feel as fans. You don't know us personally only the posts we choose to write on this forum.

The audacity, the unmitigated gall!!!! You seriously got some nerve, man.

Still rooting, still hoping, still grounded!

Go Niners forever!!!

For those who state that they cheer for their team to lose, because they are the smart "fans", they are liars, and hypocrits.

Outside of a handful of people, I don't buy the idea that people cheer for their team to win to the detriment of the future. Sorry.

P.S. I have never claimed that those who want their team to win, even in this sorry state, are not fans. Instead, if you read through this thread, the real "fans" critized the idea that losing now means winning down the road, and that perspective makes one a less of a "fan". In other words, the people who agree with me were the ones insulted, not visa versa.

Let's go beyond the draft (I think some are caught up in this concept, and this is not the main argument to lose) and create a scenario: Niners management is on the fence of whether to maintain Singletary at the end of the year, and the last game is the determinant. A loss means the team will pursue a Jon Gruden-type coach. Do we honestly believe that Niners fans would cheer for a victory in this game, and another year of the disaster in Mike Singletary, versus a loss in a meaningless game and the opportunity to get a long-term winner, someone who can make our team respectable and feared in the league? I'm sorry, I'll take that loss in that meaningless game any day for a brighter future.

Cheers.

"Outside of a handful of people, I don't buy the idea that people cheer for their team to win to the detriment of the future?"

You are getting delusional. More then a handful of people, a majority, would call your logic messed up. You are telling me a majority of people don't cheer for their team to win to the detriment of the future?" If all fans were as "smart" as you, we should all just go ahead and stop watching football and cheer against our team because, "it will better serve us in the future." Yeah right.

Ask the LIONS, BROWNS, and BENGALS fans how all those years of coaching changes, and QB changes, and personnel changes ended up being better for their future. I bet they would give their left arm for that ONE or TWO post-season appearances they got to witness during their horrific stretch.

We have a shot at the playoffs and you want 49ers to lose on the off chance that Sing remains the coach? As if, Gruden, Harbaugh, or the next coach we get will fix everything. We might not even get a good coach.

You seem so sure that if we make the playoffs, YORK is stupid enough to believe SING is the answer. And you are trusting this same YORK to get you a new head coach. You have so much faith in YORKS ability to select coaches, yet, you don't have faith that he can see just how bad Sing is. And for that, you are willing to root against your team, who has a chance to make the playoffs?

What about all the hard working guys Spikes, Willis, Clements, J. Smith, Gore, your boy Heitmann, and VD. Would you not want to get Spikes into the playoff? How about te Injured Gore? Don't you think that would inspire him? A new coach next year doesn't guarantee s**t. Ask the above mentioned teams.

haha
And another thing...

Even if we lose out now, there is no way we would still get to Luck with only 4 wins so just forget about it.

Take a look at Carolina's, Detroit's, Cincy's and Buffalo's schedule for the next five weeks. Yea, good luck with that!

IMO, I believe that it will come down like this:

Car-2-14
Det-2-14
Cin-2-14
Buf-2-14
AZ-3-13

Those five will be before us no matter what and look, AZ is looking for a QB too. Oops they're in front of us so not even Mallett is an option for they will reach for him instead of Locker or Newton, IMO.

Therefore, please put the Luck sweepstakes ticket in the garbage because there is no way we will have a shot.

So start cheering for your team again!
Dude, I don't care about Luck!!!!!!!! I only care about getting rid of Sing and then hiring real football people with a history of winning!!!!!

It's not about the draft! It's about the leadership. Imagine if we had a real coach? Do you think we would suck this bad with a Holmgren, Gruden, or Shanahan?
All during the week I wanted them to lose, but then the game started and I couldnt help but to root for them to win. I give up on the rooting for a better draft pick thing. I cant stick to my guns.
  • Pick6
  • Veteran
Originally posted by bracus:
Does nobody see the bigger picture? Most likely Alex and Carr are gone after this season. I like Troy Smith but I think he's been exposed. He throws best out of the pocket, therefore good teams will contain him. HE IS NOT OUR FUTURE. I agree Sing is gone no matter what, but we desperately need a QB more then ever.

top 4 QBS (just examples)
Luck
Mallet
Locker
Dalton

Let's say Luck, Mallet and Locker are gone by our pick and we take Dalton, cause he's really our last option. How sh*tty would it be if all 3 other QBs become franchise QBs and we get the Alex Smith of the future?

That is what I fear most. Is lose now means win sooner, I'm all for it. And I think the better the QB we get, the MORE we win. Might take half a season longer but hell, I've waited 7 years. What's a few more months?

How s**tty would it be if we lose out and get Luck who then becomes Alex Smith, and Mallet, Locker and Dalton turn into Aaron Rodgers? Oh wait thats how this whole mess got started in the first place.

I can go through draft after draft and find you can't miss QB's picked high who failed miserably and cost their team years and money... Draft well doesn't mean having the highest pick
  • Pick6
  • Veteran
Originally posted by truekingcarlos:
And another thing...

Even if we lose out now, there is no way we would still get to Luck with only 4 wins so just forget about it.

Take a look at Carolina's, Detroit's, Cincy's and Buffalo's schedule for the next five weeks. Yea, good luck with that!

Car-2-14
Det-2-14
Cin-2-14
Buf-2-14
AZ-3-13

Those five will be before us no matter what and look, AZ is looking for a QB too. Oops they're in front of us so not even Mallett is an option for they will reach for him instead of Locker or Newton, IMO.

Therefore, please put the Luck sweepstakes ticket in the garbage because there is no way we will have a shot.

Dude, I don't care about Luck!!!!!!!! I only care about getting rid of Sing and then hiring real football people with a history of winning!!!!!

It's not about the draft! It's about the leadership. Imagine if we had a real coach? Do you think we would suck this bad with a Holmgren, Gruden, or Shanahan?

Losing will get us Holmgren, Gruden or even Harbaugh (I ommitted Shanny cuz hes got a gig in Washington) REALLY? ... NO I MEAN REALLY??

Dallas and Minnesota are already better options... IF we lost as you want, Carolina is probably a more likely option for Gruden than the 9ers... IF he's going to pick a loser why not one thats close to his family?

This losing will be better for us logic has issues... there is no guarantee that we will get the QB or the COACH that YOU (WE/US) want if we lose. HOWEVER if we win out I guarantee a playoff spot.
Originally posted by Pick6:
Originally posted by truekingcarlos:
And another thing...

Car-2-14
Det-2-14
Cin-2-14
Buf-2-14
AZ-3-13

Losing will get us Holmgren, Gruden or even Harbaugh (I ommitted Shanny cuz hes got a gig in Washington) REALLY? ... NO I MEAN REALLY??

Dallas and Minnesota are already better options... IF we lost as you want, Carolina is probably a more likely option for Gruden than the 9ers... IF he's going to pick a loser why not one thats close to his family?

This losing will be better for us logic has issues... there is no guarantee that we will get the QB or the COACH that YOU (WE/US) want if we lose. HOWEVER if we win out I guarantee a playoff spot.

Dallas might keep Jason Garrett, and MN might keep Frazier. Rich Gannon already said he thinks Gruden would love to coach here. Holmgren grew up in the bay and built a new home here just a year or 2 ago. And Harbaugh might be tougher to get but if we paid enough money he probably would come.

Listen, it'd be fun to see the 9ers make the playoffs or whatever but this whole debate is a moot point. The only reason we looked good vs AZ was because they are a talentless s**tty team right now, and our neanderthal strategy worked vs them because we just outtalented them. Singletary's a f**king moron and he's not going to beat GB, SD, or STL in STL. Sure winning out would be sick but we likely finish 1-4 with our only win coming vs AZ again. This puts us at 5-11. TO be honest I kind of did want us to lose before the AZ game, but when it started I wanted us to win. But honestly I'd rather have a shot at Patrick Peterson or Bowers than wind up at 5-11 and not get a player good enough to change our fortunes. We aren't making the playoffs anyway. Remember the TB game?
I also remember the 5 turnover game against the super bowl champs that we should have won. And closer games against the falcons and eagles. Two of the best teans in the league. You can pick out our horrible games all you want but the last two years, this team has proved it can play up to the opposition. give them a chance. [/code]
Originally posted by DMiller2007:
I also remember the 5 turnover game against the super bowl champs that we should have won. And closer games against the falcons and eagles. Two of the best teans in the league. You can pick out our horrible games all you want but the last two years, this team has proved it can play up to the opposition. give them a chance. [/code]

Give them a chance? What are you even talking about? They're the ones giving themselves a chance. What I believe(that they should blow it up and get a good pick) or what I want(for them to actually win the games even though it goes against what I believe) have no bearing on how they play. But my guess is a 1-4 finish and a 5-11 record which doesn't really help us.

edit: btw good teams usually don't have 5 turnover games or multiple chokes vs teams like ATL and Philly, who are good teams. But when you repeatedly choke over and over again in games like that, you're not a good team. Like the great Bill Parcells said, you are what your record says you are.

[ Edited by WillistheWall on Dec 3, 2010 at 22:04:41 ]
I can't believe how many people voted yes on this question. How could any "true" fan want their team to lose, no matter the circumstances. So many people want a high draft pick and most want to take Luck. Well yes the kid is a awesome COLLEGE quarterback but why people are so eager to lose so that they may get a player who has never played a down in the NFL is far beyond me.

Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
I can't believe how many people voted yes on this question. How could any "true" fan want their team to lose, no matter the circumstances. So many people want a high draft pick and most want to take Luck. Well yes the kid is a awesome COLLEGE quarterback but why people are so eager to lose so that they may get a player who has never played a down in the NFL is far beyond me.

I love how everyone is saying they're more of a fan than anyone else. All that you guys know about everyone else on here is their username. For all you know the guy with 1 post might have his house painted red and gold with kids named Joe and Steve. And the guy with 237,347,856 posts also roots for the Cowboys.

I love how everyone is saying they're more of a fan than anyone else. All that you guys know about everyone else on here is their username. For all you know the guy with 1 post might have his house painted red and gold with kids named Joe and Steve. And the guy with 237,347,856 posts also roots for the Cowboys.

That may have been the most correct post I have seen here yet.

If you root for your team to lose, you're not a good fan. Bottom line. And if you dont believe me, go up to Takeo Spikes or Vernon Davis and tell them that you're rooting for them to lose for the greater good and see if they respect you as a fan
Originally posted by PlasmaHero:

If you root for your team to lose, you're not a good fan. Bottom line. And if you dont believe me, go up to Takeo Spikes or Vernon Davis and tell them that you're rooting for them to lose for the greater good and see if they respect you as a fan

Does anyone else find it ironic that people are talking about gaining the respect of men playing a children's game?

Don't get me wrong I love the 49ers and football is cool and all but seriously.

Also why can't you just respect other people's opinions and let them think what they want? Just cuz they're different doesn't make them any better or worse than you.
Originally posted by PlasmaHero:

Go ask a Rams fan if they're still p*ssed they lost last year. Then we can talk. And honestly, this is a job to them. I'm not saying they don't care at all, but your crazy if you think they care what I do on Sunday.
Share 49ersWebzone