Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by VA9erfan:
Isn't Luck a Junior?

Yes, and he hasn't declared yet

Harbaugh and Luck can stay another year to make a run for a National Title

he's a redshirt sophomore
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
I don't know what we lost. I thought we won... didn't we?

Wait... what day is it again?
Losing Gore sucks big time.

Winning the game is what they are supposed to do.
Originally posted by Wodwo:
I don't know what we lost. I thought we won... didn't we?

Wait... what day is it again?

haha opposite day my friend... where winning is losing and the Cards have reason to celebrate their five future Super Bowls with Andrew Luck.
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
OH STFU WITH THAT CRAP

You guys were singing the same tune about Leinart before he came out of college.

fer reals
Isn't Luck a Junior?

Yes, but for the purposes of idiotic frothing at the mouth and whining on the Webzone we all just pretend he's a senior.

Think about it, if we acknowledged that Luck was a junior we'd have less ways to complain about beating the piss out of a division rival on Monday Night Football.
I heard this same song in 2006 when some people wanted us to lose to draft Reggie Bush. How is that working out? We ended up with Vernon Davis. Andrew Luck will likely be gone before AZ picks anyway. With Gore's injury we might need to look at RB in the 1st round now
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

haha opposite day my friend... where winning is losing and the Cards have reason to celebrate their five future Super Bowls with Andrew Luck.

Those sneaky b*****ds....

We won five Super Bowls already.

Now we just gotta figure out how to trick the Cardinals into hiring Singletary as their Head Coach....

Hmmm.... strip him naked, cover him in peanut butter, roll him around in a giant pile of bird seed, and toss him in the middle of their spaceship stadium.

Who's with me?
  • Antix
  • Veteran
I really hope we can get passed the days where we have to talk to tank games for draft position. You play to win, not draft.

if we want Luck, we can move up to get him. With the right coach, offensive system I'd be willing to give up some high picks for him.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
Isn't Luck a Junior?

Yes, but for the purposes of idiotic frothing at the mouth and whining on the Webzone we all just pretend he's a senior.

Think about it, if we acknowledged that Luck was a junior we'd have less ways to complain about beating the piss out of a division rival on Monday Night Football.

You're nice. It was way worse than that.

I want pass rush, anyway.

Who wants pass rush?

Raise your hands!

Originally posted by 9erred:
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by Gavintech:
I would trade the #1 in 2011, the number 1 in 2012 and a second rounder to move up to #1 to select Luck.

Good thing you are not in the FO.

Look at the value chart, that is equivalent to the San Diego Eli Manning deal and the Michael Vick deal for the number one pick.

Not trying to re invent the wheel, simply admitting we need a franchise qb.

I don't give a s**t about the value chart. You make that kind of trade if you're already a good team, and all you're missing is a QB and you are 100% sure that the only QB that can help you is that one guy. That's far from the 49ers situation. The 49ers need a BIG improvement in the OL and 2ndary (and to a lesser extent the passrush). I'd much rather over-pay a FA QB than give away high picks in the next few drafts when we are not nearly just a QB away from being a real contender.

Also, look at the top 15 QBs in the NFL today (by passer rating). Some weren't drafted at all, one was a 6th round pick, a couple 4th rounders, a 3rd rounder, some 2nd rounders, and even though there are a lot of first rounders the vast majority were not the #1 overall pick or even the first QB taken in the draft. It's not a prerequisite to be the first QB in the draft to be a top QB. Conversely if you look 15 and beyond you see a lot of first round QBs, 1st QB taken in the draft, and even a few #1 overall draft picks.

OL, are you frickin kidding me, the niners have used the most top 40 picks on OL of ANY team in the NFL. A good qb will make the OL play much better. Look at the Saints, Colts and Falcons OL. A bunch of no names because the D has to respect the QB.

If, and I mean IF, they deem Luck will be the next Ryan, Brady or Peyton, then the trade makes sense. Otherwise I am fine with Locker.

No, a good OL will make an average QB look good and a good QB look very good. A bad OL will make a good QB look average and an average QB look bad. You can see how WRONG you are when you see how Brees, Brady, and Peyton, play when their OL is not performing. Just look at Sunday night for an easy example.

And the number of picks they used on OL means nothing. What matters is how they are playing, which is awful (not counting last night) and that isn't affected by where any of them were drafted one bit. Andrew Luck would be ruined behind the 2010 49ers O Line and we'd probably have a worse record than we do now if we went into next season with the same team we have now + Luck. Not to mention no 1st round pick in 2012 or 2nd in 2011 in your scenario.
This season is what it is...a dismal display of disjointed football. Last night's win was on the shallow side...because 'Zona barely showed up for the game. We should've beaten them at least 40-6. You play to win every game...no matter what the potential draft impact may turn out to be. I agree, having Luck in a Niner uniform would most likely be awesome...being a local kid and all. No matter where we draft, there'll be a number of teams picking before us. 'Zona could end up with him, who knows. Nothing's certain...there are surprises every draft. Be that as it may, I agree we need to draft a good QB. Luck isn't the only good one who'll be in the draft. The goal is always to get as many good players as possible...it's just that QB's are a bigger risk. We're assuming there'll be a 2011 season...but if there isn't a new CBA signed before the draft, it's possible there won't even be a draft. We're also assuming Luck will leave Stanford...he may not. Stranger things have happened. Much too early to assume anything...so many things could happen to change everything.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
This season is what it is...a dismal display of disjointed football. Last night's win was on the shallow side...because 'Zona barely showed up for the game. We should've beaten them at least 40-6. You play to win every game...no matter what the potential draft impact may turn out to be. I agree, having Luck in a Niner uniform would most likely be awesome...being a local kid and all. No matter where we draft, there'll be a number of teams picking before us. 'Zona could end up with him, who knows. Nothing's certain...there are surprises every draft. Be that as it may, I agree we need to draft a good QB. Luck isn't the only good one who'll be in the draft. The goal is always to get as many good players as possible...it's just that QB's are a bigger risk. We're assuming there'll be a 2011 season...but if there isn't a new CBA signed before the draft, it's possible there won't even be a draft. We're also assuming Luck will leave Stanford...he may not. Stranger things have happened. Much too early to assume anything...so many things could happen to change everything.

There is going to be a draft no matter what. The only question is how many underclassmen will be coming out for it.
If Luck is eligible, I predict he will declare. He can see what happened to Leinart. If Leinart had come out in '05, he would have probably have been picked first. But he declined and stayed for his senior year. What happened? He was picked 11th, and it cost him a bundle. When you are hot, you are hot. It is risky for Luck to stay in college another year. Injury or a disappointing senior year are possiblilities.

Walsh picked Montana in the third. Someone should study what Walsh saw in Montana and maybe there is the same type of guy out there. But remember, Montana was helped by Walsh being his coach. If Montana was drafted by another team, he may not have turned out as well.
If we REALLLYYY want him we can trade whatever to get him. He probably won't go number 1 depending on who ends up with the high picks. As of now, you nevvvver know.
Share 49ersWebzone