Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Gore's days as a leading workhorse are done from this point on. Frank is gonna have to swallow a lot of pride and take consistent rotational duties next season to stay healthier.

This could be a problem, as Gore is a guy who wants the ball (he wants 20+ touches a game), and when he doesn't get the ball he voices his discontent in the locker room.

really? show me 1 instance of Gore not being a team player?

You're missing the point, and you probably don't follow the niners much.

Look back 2 years ago under Mike Martz, the moment we went pass-happy Gore was rumbling and grumbling all over the locker-room. Nolan/Sing initially built all their teams around Gore (instead of a QB). -When Martz tried to center the offense around O'Sullivan/Shaun Hill, Gore threw tizzy fits.

again, no proof. were you there in the locker room?

give me an article or link or something or it didn't happen

Why don't you? Google the Press Democrat's archives between Sept. 2008- Dec. 2009.

Seriously, it's been written, more than speculation and Gore has voiced his discontent through interviews around that time.

Did you just hop on the bandwagon this season cause you thought we were gonna make the playoffs or something?

that's what i thought... you got nothing

Sorry I have a job and a life, and I don't need to prove myself to lazy noobs who have no proof to prove whatever I say to be 'otherwise'.

You wanna prove me wrong, but you're too damn fickle/lazy to do so, so literally, you've proved nothing.

He isn't trying to prove anything, you are.

lol.

exactly

Whatever helps you sleep at night, bud. Anywho, glad to have you aboard as a niner fan here, it's always fun meeting new/first-year niner fans!

~Snake

In the WZ, if you don't believe Snake's fact-less, made up stories, you're a new Niner Fan!

BTW is you are a new Niner fan, BIG UPS! Most of us became 9er fans when they were good. My earliest memory in life was January 10, 1982 and my dad going ape-s**t crazy after The Catch, I had just turned 5. If anyone has become a die-hard 9er fan in the last few years, well, that's a lot harder to do than it was for most of us.
MaioccoCSN

Frank Gore and Dominique Zeigler have been played on injured reserve.

• kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by kray28:
All the Gore fanbois need to understand that Gore was never good enough, even at the apex of his career, to carry the team. He's a very good back, but why anyone developed the notion that he could carry the team as a workhorse is beyond me.

His record as the feature back more or less spells that out. His utilization rate and poor YPC and YPT bears it out.

This season he got a ton of touches and didn't do all that much with it. If he'd done more, you can bet we'd have more than 4 wins right now. And the fact is, when you get that 50%-60% of your team's touches, you have to produce at a special level of efficiency in order for the team to be successful. Gore can only do sometimes.

His cumulative stats look decent, but they hide what a horribly unproductive year he's had from an efficiency standpoint.

This is the single worst post I've ever seen written on this message board.

The play calling had been terrible. Gore has been good this season despite terrible play calling.

We played a team last night that is so absolutely inept that Singletary's offensive philosophy worked because our offensive line dominated the Cardinals. Frank Gore had 5 rushes for 52 yards before he left the game. That includes a 9 yard run he had after he broke his hip.

The running game worked last night because the offensive line absolutely destroyed Arizona. That's the only time they've dominated a team all season.

Honestly, this is just the worst post I've ever read. Not just because it's factually incorrect, but because it's completely classless. Calling out people as being "Gore fanbois" and disrespecting one of the greatest running backs that this franchise has ever had after he has just had a serious injury is completely uncalled for. Zero class.

You should be ashamed.

Who the eff are you, again?

Sorry, but I am not ashamed to be a fan of the team before the individual. Gore's stats look nice because he gets lots of touches. He gets more touches than anybody else in the league.

But his touches come at a price. They take opportunities away from other players (like Westbrook), but also the rest of the offense as is.

In addition, they don't translate into winning yardage for the Niners. They result in lots of losing though.

I like how everyone keeps bringing up all-purpose yards....that's to cover the fact that he has only 850ish rushing yards so far. Yeah, so let's pad the stats some by throwing in all the yards he got on those screens he caught.

To be sure, I don't blame Gore for the sub-par production, I blame the coaches for using him in an irresponsible fashion that sooner or later would have ended up getting him hurt....and it did as many here pointed out earlier in the season.

The point is that using Gore as a workhorse is a losing proposition, especially with this line, and it's been a losing proposition for his entire pro career.

I like how my post is castigated as "Worst Post of the Year", and I've got johnnycomelately posters I've never even heard of telling me to be ashamed.

For what? For telling it like it is? How many winning seasons of football has the Frank Gore Era produced? Has the formula of running him like a pack mule ever worked consistently or over the long haul? In many seasons, it's just resulted in Gore eventually getting hurt. And sure you can point to his 200 yard games here and there (usually against a crap team with a subpar run D), and say....."how dare you insult the best of the best"

Except he's not the best of the best....and has never been. And the offense's singular focus on him has stunted its' growth, and never allowed the offense to truly develop as a team. In short, he's been used as a crutch and a security blanket to protect the rest of the offense from itself. That changes now....and it's a change for the good.
All the Gore fanbois need to understand that Gore was never good enough, even at the apex of his career, to carry the team. He's a very good back, but why anyone developed the notion that he could carry the team as a workhorse is beyond me.

His record as the feature back more or less spells that out. His utilization rate and poor YPC and YPT bears it out.

This season he got a ton of touches and didn't do all that much with it. If he'd done more, you can bet we'd have more than 4 wins right now. And the fact is, when you get that 50%-60% of your team's touches, you have to produce at a special level of efficiency in order for the team to be successful. Gore can only do sometimes.

His cumulative stats look decent, but they hide what a horribly unproductive year he's had from an efficiency standpoint.

The play calling had been terrible. Gore has been good this season despite terrible play calling.

We played a team last night that is so absolutely inept that Singletary's offensive philosophy worked because our offensive line dominated the Cardinals. Frank Gore had 5 rushes for 52 yards before he left the game. That includes a 9 yard run he had after he broke his hip.

The running game worked last night because the offensive line absolutely destroyed Arizona. That's the only time they've dominated a team all season.

Honestly, this is just the worst post I've ever read. Not just because it's factually incorrect, but because it's completely classless. Calling out people as being "Gore fanbois" and disrespecting one of the greatest running backs that this franchise has ever had after he has just had a serious injury is completely uncalled for. Zero class.

You should be ashamed.

Sorry, but I am not ashamed to be a fan of the team before the individual. Gore's stats look nice because he gets lots of touches. He gets more touches than anybody else in the league.

But his touches come at a price. They take opportunities away from other players (like Westbrook), but also the rest of the offense as is.

In addition, they don't translate into winning yardage for the Niners. They result in lots of losing though.

I like how everyone keeps bringing up all-purpose yards....that's to cover the fact that he has only 850ish rushing yards so far. Yeah, so let's pad the stats some by throwing in all the yards he got on those screens he caught.

To be sure, I don't blame Gore for the sub-par production, I blame the coaches for using him in an irresponsible fashion that sooner or later would have ended up getting him hurt....and it did as many here pointed out earlier in the season.

The point is that using Gore as a workhorse is a losing proposition, especially with this line, and it's been a losing proposition for his entire pro career.

I like how my post is castigated as "Worst Post of the Year", and I've got johnnycomelately posters I've never even heard of telling me to be ashamed.

For what? For telling it like it is? How many winning seasons of football has the Frank Gore Era produced? Has the formula of running him like a pack mule ever worked consistently or over the long haul? In many seasons, it's just resulted in Gore eventually getting hurt. And sure you can point to his 200 yard games here and there (usually against a crap team with a subpar run D), and say....."how dare you insult the best of the best"

Except he's not the best of the best....and has never been. And the offense's singular focus on him has stunted its' growth, and never allowed the offense to truly develop as a team. In short, he's been used as a crutch and a security blanket to protect the rest of the offense from itself. That changes now....and it's a change for the good.

He's #10 in rushing attempts. That's not quite the most in football.

You should be ashamed.

Also, for running backs he's got the 4th most receptions in football.

So ya, he does touch the ball a lot. But he's not near #1 rushing attempts, is #4 in receptions, and not #1 in overall combined attempts either.

Basically, STOP MAKING s**t UP.
Just read on ESPN this is the Bo Jackson type of injury that Gore suffered

everybody knows that this is pretty fatal in the NFL world

hope you fully recover Frank & come back at full speed

You should be ashamed.

Also, for running backs he's got the 4th most receptions in football.

So ya, he does touch the ball a lot. But he's not near #1 rushing attempts, is #4 in receptions, and not #1 in overall combined attempts either.

Basically, STOP MAKING s**t UP.

THANK YOU! Anyone that doesn't see that Frank Gore is a top 5 RB in the NFL is an idiot. The coaches make him run up the middle a million times and he's still that good. If/When a good offensive minded coach comes here Gore is going to be even more of an animal.
Bad deal for Frank Gore. Hope he recovers well!
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
Just read on ESPN this is the Bo Jackson type of injury that Gore suffered

everybody knows that this is pretty fatal in the NFL world

hope you fully recover Frank & come back at full speed

Lets get Mark Ingram in this mofo
Ughh, and as I roll my 49ers calender over to December, Frank Gore stares upon me... how harrowing.

• Wodwo
  • Veteran

You should be ashamed.

Oh, this should be fun, I didn't think you'd even bother to reply. I didn't even read your post before I started this reply. That's how excited I am.

Who am I? Who are you? This is the internet, buddy. It doesn't matter who I am. You want to post your opinion, I'll post my opinion in response. Deal with it.

You really don't pay any attention to NFL statistics, do you? Gore gets more touches than anybody in the NFL? Arian Foster has 272 touches this season. Steven Jackson has 261 touches this season. Gore has 249. Try to do some research before you bother posting. Gore is also 10th in attempts per game. His yards per carry haven't been great, but anyone who has payed any attention knows why that is. However, your dismissal of his yards from scrimmage statistic makes me laugh. Do you even watch the games? Do you know how many clutch catches he's had just this season? Not to mention he's averaging 9.8 yards per catch. That's the highest average of all running backs who are in the top 50 in receptions in the NFL. Again, proving that you don't even bother to do any research before you post.

Gore's stats look "nice" because he's overcome some of the worst coaching and blocking in the NFL. He has done that every year since 2006, the only season he had a line that could run block and a coach who knew how to run the ball. His stats look "nice" because he's a great running back. Despite all of the crap coaching and blocking he's had in his career, he's still managed a career 4.7 yards per carry.

Do you even understand what that means statistically? You basically just proved yourself wrong. You say he only looks good because he has more touches than anyone... well, the more touches you get, the less effect outliers have on your average. That means your point about his having 200 yard games against bad teams is moot. He's been doing the same thing every year. Playing on a crap team, but still putting up good numbers. His YPC over his career has remained good.

The fact that you say you blame the coaches and don't blame Gore for his "sub-par production", but then continue to blame Gore for our losing seasons is contradictory and just the most ignorant thing you've said. You do realize that he doesn't call the plays, don't you? He doesn't draw up the schemes. He just goes out every week and runs the plays the coaches give him. Even when they give him crap, he makes something out of it every chance he gets. Blame the coaches, not Gore. Blaming Gore is just ignorant.

Are you really going to say that Gore is the reason we lose games? Do you not pay any attention to the team at all?

And yes, you should be ashamed. Be ashamed for coming on this forum and writing one of the most ignorant, disrespectful, and classless posts I have ever read. Go ahead and be angry that I wrote that about your post. I'm not the only one who thinks it. You should be ashamed because you've caused all of those other forum members to respond to you with the same opinion I have. You should be ashamed because you've done this to yourself.

More than any other reason, you should be ashamed for your classless insults to other fans a day after one of this teams best players has a season ending injury. Calling fans who believe that Gore is a good player "fanbois" is just disgraceful. Many fans are unhappy that Gore was injured. Yet, you think it is the perfect time to try and prove a point about Gore being bad for the team... by using terrible logic.

Completely ignorant. Completely classless. You should be ashamed.

Who the eff am I? You have no effing idea.
enjoyed your post wodwo

and by the way, you flat out pwned him
  • Furlow
  • Veteran

You should be ashamed.

Oh, this should be fun, I didn't think you'd even bother to reply. I didn't even read your post before I started this reply. That's how excited I am.

Who am I? Who are you? This is the internet, buddy. It doesn't matter who I am. You want to post your opinion, I'll post my opinion in response. Deal with it.

You really don't pay any attention to NFL statistics, do you? Gore gets more touches than anybody in the NFL? Arian Foster has 272 touches this season. Steven Jackson has 261 touches this season. Gore has 249. Try to do some research before you bother posting. Gore is also 10th in attempts per game. His yards per carry haven't been great, but anyone who has payed any attention knows why that is. However, your dismissal of his yards from scrimmage statistic makes me laugh. Do you even watch the games? Do you know how many clutch catches he's had just this season? Not to mention he's averaging 9.8 yards per catch. That's the highest average of all running backs who are in the top 50 in receptions in the NFL. Again, proving that you don't even bother to do any research before you post.

Gore's stats look "nice" because he's overcome some of the worst coaching and blocking in the NFL. He has done that every year since 2006, the only season he had a line that could run block and a coach who knew how to run the ball. His stats look "nice" because he's a great running back. Despite all of the crap coaching and blocking he's had in his career, he's still managed a career 4.7 yards per carry.

Do you even understand what that means statistically? You basically just proved yourself wrong. You say he only looks good because he has more touches than anyone... well, the more touches you get, the less effect outliers have on your average. That means your point about his having 200 yard games against bad teams is moot. He's been doing the same thing every year. Playing on a crap team, but still putting up good numbers. His YPC over his career has remained good.

The fact that you say you blame the coaches and don't blame Gore for his "sub-par production", but then continue to blame Gore for our losing seasons is contradictory and just the most ignorant thing you've said. You do realize that he doesn't call the plays, don't you? He doesn't draw up the schemes. He just goes out every week and runs the plays the coaches give him. Even when they give him crap, he makes something out of it every chance he gets. Blame the coaches, not Gore. Blaming Gore is just ignorant.

Are you really going to say that Gore is the reason we lose games? Do you not pay any attention to the team at all?

And yes, you should be ashamed. Be ashamed for coming on this forum and writing one of the most ignorant, disrespectful, and classless posts I have ever read. Go ahead and be angry that I wrote that about your post. I'm not the only one who thinks it. You should be ashamed because you've caused all of those other forum members to respond to you with the same opinion I have. You should be ashamed because you've done this to yourself.

More than any other reason, you should be ashamed for your classless insults to other fans a day after one of this teams best players has a season ending injury. Calling fans who believe that Gore is a good player "fanbois" is just disgraceful. Many fans are unhappy that Gore was injured. Yet, you think it is the perfect time to try and prove a point about Gore being bad for the team... by using terrible logic.

Completely ignorant. Completely classless. You should be ashamed.

Who the eff am I? You have no effing idea.

I think if the two of you calm the emotions down you'll probably realize that you're saying the same thing, just in vastly different ways.

No one can argue that Gore is an amazing talent, and any of his success on the Niners is in spite of the coaching, not because of it.

What we also should agree on, is that this is 2010 and no Super Bowl winning offense builds its philosophy around a running back, especially only one running back. That hasn't worked for a long time and probably won't ever work again. The rules are set for passing and scoring through the air, so attempting to do anything different is ridiculous.

I love what Gore brings to the table and he is for sure a top 5 RB in the NFL, arguably the best the Niners have ever had. But he can't do it alone, not in today's league. I'm sure the wear and tear from all of his touches over the past 5 seasons has something to do with his injury, and that is unfortunate.

Going forward, this may actually be a blessing for the offense. It now forces Johnson and Singletary to get creative and use all of our play makers. The offense will definitely be more dynamic, the question is will it be better? Next season when Gore is back, hopefully he will be utilized in that same creative fashion, and it will only help the team and him as an individual player.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Furlow:

I think if the two of you calm the emotions down you'll probably realize that you're saying the same thing, just in vastly different ways.

No one can argue that Gore is an amazing talent, and any of his success on the Niners is in spite of the coaching, not because of it.

Thanks, Furlow. I really appreciate the voice of reason. You know me.

I'm just a big ole Frank Gore fanboi. I are sad at his ouchy.

Half of that was was because I thought he was dissing Gore (and his fanbois), the other half was because it was just cathartic. Maybe I'm a little immature, eh?

You're right, though. Hopefully they use Gore like they should have been all along when he comes back next season.
Even when we win...we still lose...

Share 49ersWebzone