LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 232 users in the forums

Keep it real... Who was happy when we hired Sing full time?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Keep it real... Who was happy when we hired Sing full time?

I would say I was pleased with it... I wasn't over joyed or anything... My personal preference was to return to the West Coast offensive coaching roots and with Sing that wasn't going to happen.. But I knew there just wasn't anyone out there at the time....

Shanny and Holmgren were taking a year off without question.. Gruden was enjoying his gig as an analyst and wasn't coming back at time soon at that time.. There were no options in the college ranks.. And Eddie D himself was said to be excited about Singletary...

However, I wasn't happy at all with the 4 year contract.... What if Sing tanked and the year after that Shanny and Holmgren became available, or Gruden? Well essentially Sing did tank, even though finishing 8-8... We finished strong against weak opponents giving the false illusion that we were turning the corner.. Since then I think the coaches and management have thought the team was turning the corner at least 4 times.... With a 2 year contract, it would have been easier in my opinion to give Sing the axe and go after Shanny or Holmgren...

But no.... We stuck with Sing and have endured one of the most disappointing seasons in a very long time... And we've seen Shanny go to Washington and Holmgren go to Cleveland...
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by valrod33:
i liked it

Liked wut?

the hiring of Sing
I still am.
He's the reason Troy is playing , the reason Vernon and our Linebackers are badass.

I we can put a handle on our oline and offensive playcalling, we'd be great.
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
I still am.
He's the reason Troy is playing , the reason Vernon and our Linebackers are badass.

I we can put a handle on our oline and offensive playcalling, we'd be great.

Dude i think our LB's played much better last year. They're far from badass this year.
Originally posted by jays9ers:
I'll admit....I was not impressed when we hired him full time. I thought we pulled the trigger way to quick on him instead of waiting and researching other coaches.
You're admitting that you weren't impressed when they hired him. That's great that you admit that you were right. What an awesome guy.

[ Edited by 49ersBest1 on Nov 28, 2010 at 22:04:14 ]
  • Lifer
  • Veteran
Yes I supported the hire at the time... with qualifications. My hope was that Singletary would provide strong leadership and motivation while leaving the X's and O's to semi-autonomous coordinators on Offense and Defense. In particular, I wanted to retain Mike Martz, or at least bring in a strong OC to run that side of the house. I also thought it was important that Singletary, with his profound lack of experience, be surrounded by a strong team in personnel and front office.

Unfortunately, almost none of that happened. Instead, the organization decided to give leadership and direction over to Singletary and simply work hard to provide him with whatever he wanted. This is a viable model in most cases, but it ignored Singletary's lack of experience.

I started to see the cracks last year, but hoped that Singletary would learn and grow. Game 1 of this season was a total coaching failure, but I hoped it was an aberration (obviously in denial at this point). Where he lost me was game 3 in Kansas City. The team was utterly unprepared and obviously out-coached in a game that was, in my opinion, make or break for the season. That fiasco was followed by the Dennis O'Donnel interview in which Singletary showed that he was completely lacking the qualities required in an NFL Head Coach. That's when I knew the season was over and Singletary had to go.
Originally posted by 49ersBest1:
Originally posted by jays9ers:
I'll admit....I was not impressed when we hired him full time. I thought we pulled the trigger way to quick on him instead of waiting and researching other coaches.
You're admitting that you weren't impressed when they hired him. That's great that you admit that you were right. What an awesome guy.

-9fA
i was happy overall....now i hate his guts
Originally posted by Lifer:
Yes I supported the hire at the time... with qualifications. My hope was that Singletary would provide strong leadership and motivation while leaving the X's and O's to semi-autonomous coordinators on Offense and Defense. In particular, I wanted to retain Mike Martz, or at least bring in a strong OC to run that side of the house. I also thought it was important that Singletary, with his profound lack of experience, be surrounded by a strong team in personnel and front office.

Unfortunately, almost none of that happened. Instead, the organization decided to give leadership and direction over to Singletary and simply work hard to provide him with whatever he wanted. This is a viable model in most cases, but it ignored Singletary's lack of experience.

I started to see the cracks last year, but hoped that Singletary would learn and grow. Game 1 of this season was a total coaching failure, but I hoped it was an aberration (obviously in denial at this point). Where he lost me was game 3 in Kansas City. The team was utterly unprepared and obviously out-coached in a game that was, in my opinion, make or break for the season. That fiasco was followed by the Dennis O'Donnel interview in which Singletary showed that he was completely lacking the qualities required in an NFL Head Coach. That's when I knew the season was over and Singletary had to go.
  • Dino
  • Veteran
i was...

I was happy we fired Nolan, and that we started to win. I liked the way the guys played under Singletary, so I guess you could say I was supportive of his hiring. Then he went all "Singletary" on us, and the rest is history.
I was happy until he fired Martz. I thought the 2 would be a perfect fit together.
Singletary ='d change, so I was excited.

Much like T.Smith taking over.
Nolan Lost his job because he picked jto over shaun hill and alex smith. lol mike martz couldn't save this offense.

were so busy switching schemes and oc's ever year that it doesn't matter until we decided as a owner what offensive identity we want to be we will not be stable on offense.

Jed make the call to stanford bring in your walsh pay him he's worth it we missed out on pete carrol but we may be looking at a great head coach and a guy to run what walsh built tell him convince him to leave his mark on the niners and proball like the man who did that with Stanford before him... screw nolan 2.0 i want walsh 2.0
Originally posted by dwy621:
I was happy until he fired Martz. I thought the 2 would be a perfect fit together.

They were. Jimmy raye and even mike johnson don't want to stand up to him and tell him that it's not 1980! Atleast vd broke out martz would have never done anything but keep him in to block.
Share 49ersWebzone