LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 299 users in the forums

Westbrook decision related to trying out rookies to save money theory

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jojomellon:
Originally posted by Joecool:
It amazes me that the reason they now feel they can use Westbrook completely is because he's "ready" and understands everything.

I call B.S. due to the fact that he had his salary worth in incentives, $1.25 salary plus $1.25 incentives. We can get Troy Smith playing, Taylor Mays, Bowman, Iupati, and A. Davis but one of our smarter Football veterans doesn't get it until now.

It's sad because it appears as if we were trying to avoid the incentives.

It was said that it's difficult to take Delanie or Gore out but isn't Westbrook an equivalent to Delanie Walker?

This ownership is sad.

I'm beginning to think that the rookie "experiment" was to keep some veterans from reaching incentives.
except, the coaching staff doesnt write the checks. The owner does. Last I checked, Jed doesnt make the depth chart or call the plays.

Bingo.

-9fA
  • fly15
  • Veteran
the only reason is thanks to Gore. He gets upset everytime he goes to the sideline for a play or two...
Nice theory, but I think Sing would be more interested in winning. What's a few million here and there? I'm pretty sure Dr. York, Jed York and anyone else who has a say would much rather 7-3 at the cost of a few million, then 3-7 with a little extra doe.

Honestly, the moves are too inconsistent for me to even figure out what the though process is.

How does Haralson keep his starting job, but Spikes get's sat in critical moments during his best season as a Niner?

How does Chilo not lose playing time to Snyder?

Mays might not be the greatest in coverage, but he is the only saftey on our team that has even sniffed a pick this year. I literally can remember about 4 almost interceptions from Mays (not to mention the saftey he scored his first game). Yet, he is benched, Smith is in and Goldson continues to give up big play after big play.

How does Westbrook, a legend in Philly only touch the ball once a game? That doesn't even make senes. What's the point? Either let him in for a series or two or don't play him. I could see your theory if they let him play a while then yanked him, but he does't even touch the ball.

Why is Lawson coming out on third down? He isn't a good passrusher, but at least he gets pressure or could even keep the O guessing. Laboy and Brooks can't even get a sack and are a liability in coverage. How many times have we seen Haralson get in the backfield only to be out run by a slow QB?

Bottom line is, this team doens't even make enough sense for me to form a theory. Sing is an inexperience and stubborn head coach that would rather fail doing what he believes than compromise and win.

Sing's Bible has an 11th commandment, "Thou shalt run the ball."

[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Nov 27, 2010 at 10:20:46 ]
I think teams do take incentives into account if there are other viable options. Westbrook is as good a slot receiver that we have. When Delanie was hurt, he could have came inat slot and it's not like he couldn't have learned the game plan like crabtree did. I think the M Lewis situation and Spikes losing time on big play downs could have also had some inkling of incentives based decisions to them.

It's Paraage tinkering with things. Lol.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
I think teams do take incentives into account if there are other viable options. Westbrook is as good a slot receiver that we have. When Delanie was hurt, he could have came inat slot and it's not like he couldn't have learned the game plan like crabtree did. I think the M Lewis situation and Spikes losing time on big play downs could have also had some inkling of incentives based decisions to them.

It's Paraage tinkering with things. Lol.

If s**t like that is going on this team is far more f**ked up then any of us thought. I hope its not the case, if something like were to be proven I think a lot of fans would jump ship including myself.
i don't think they held Westbrook back to avoid paying incentives---why sign him to start with--but this coaching staff just misuses players.

to me on offense---you make a point of getting Crabtree and VD involved early on--set the tone. I would have kept Hill as the 3rd receiver--the offense always seemed to play better when he was in there. He is better than Ginn or Ziegler.

I would have been more creative using Gore, Dixon and Westbrook--most good teams these days don't rely on one workhorse---especially a workhorse who isn't a workhorse---Gore gets his higher YPC with a couple long runs--not ploughing through for a good average consistently. Wear a defense out with Dixon--then Gore has a chance for big runs----or spread the offense to give Gore more holes.

The offensive line maybe holds everything back--Solari is a McKittrick protege---who loved the smaller but athletic OL--the Niners don't have that.

Anthony davis at left tackle, Iupati at left guard, draft a center in rounds 2-4, Staley at right guard, sign a vet tackle---or Boone ( i have no idea how good he is) for right tackle.

we can't keep wasting draft picks on the O line or we will never get better--everything else will fall apart.

Ok I did my vent for today--
Originally posted by Eduardo75:
It amazes me that the reason they now feel they can use Westbrook completely is because he's "ready" and understands everything.

I call B.S. due to the fact that he had his salary worth in incentives, $1.25 salary plus $1.25 incentives. We can get Troy Smith playing, Taylor Mays, Bowman, Iupati, and A. Davis but one of our smarter Football veterans doesn't get it until now.

It's sad because it appears as if we were trying to avoid the incentives.

It was said that it's difficult to take Delanie or Gore out but isn't Westbrook an equivalent to Delanie Walker?

This ownership is sad.

I'm beginning to think that the rookie "experiment" was to keep some veterans from reaching incentives.

I completely disagree.......... I'm sorry no offense intended but that is just a ridiculous theory...

The reason Westbrook is not playing more, is due to the fact that our coaching staff is too stupid and stubborn to figure out how to use the guy correctly.... The only plan from the very beginning was to run the offense through Gore... As both Sing and Raye would say, the offense stops and starts with #21....

That was the plan, and there is no back-up... How else do you explain the lack of a game plan to get the ball to who I think is the most explosive player on the offense, Vernon Davis? Seriously, only 3 catches last week... Every game the guy is a match-up nightmare the opposing team, and he only has a good game every so often... Just like Walker will have and Crabtree will have and to a certain extent, Morgan will have... But there is no consistency in that.. Why? For the most part our offensive coaching staff has no idea how to get everyone involved, how to spread the ball around... Sing has his hands all over the offense, and it all goes through Gore and there is NO back-up plan at all.....

This has always been my complaint. Aside from Gore there is no game planning for other players. Not that I disagree with Joe, but Gore is focal point of every defense every week and until we have a competent offensive staff he can and will be shut down more frequently.

Just sad that it came at the hands of the Bucs. A doughnut posted at our house.
Share 49ersWebzone