There are 198 users in the forums

Westbrook decision related to trying out rookies to save money theory

Shop Find 49ers gear online
It amazes me that the reason they now feel they can use Westbrook completely is because he's "ready" and understands everything.

I call B.S. due to the fact that he had his salary worth in incentives, $1.25 salary plus $1.25 incentives. We can get Troy Smith playing, Taylor Mays, Bowman, Iupati, and A. Davis but one of our smarter Football veterans doesn't get it until now.

It's sad because it appears as if we were trying to avoid the incentives.

It was said that it's difficult to take Delanie or Gore out but isn't Westbrook an equivalent to Delanie Walker?

This ownership is sad.

I'm beginning to think that the rookie "experiment" was to keep some veterans from reaching incentives.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
I seriously doubt that's the reason, its just pure speculation on your part.
What surprises you about this?

Hi.

Welcome to the idiocy of the 49er coaching staff.
Originally posted by Joecool:
It amazes me that the reason they now feel they can use Westbrook completely is because he's "ready" and understands everything.

I call B.S. due to the fact that he had his salary worth in incentives, $1.25 salary plus $1.25 incentives. We can get Troy Smith playing, Taylor Mays, Bowman, Iupati, and A. Davis but one of our smarter Football veterans doesn't get it until now.

It was said that it's difficult to take Delanie or Gore out but isn't Westbrook an equivalent to Delanie Walker?

This ownership is sad.

I'm beginning to think that the rookie "experiment" was to keep some veterans from reaching incentives.

I completely disagree.......... I'm sorry no offense intended but that is just a ridiculous theory...

The reason Westbrook is not playing more, is due to the fact that our coaching staff is too stupid and stubborn to figure out how to use the guy correctly.... The only plan from the very beginning was to run the offense through Gore... As both Sing and Raye would say, the offense stops and starts with #21....

That was the plan, and there is no back-up... How else do you explain the lack of a game plan to get the ball to who I think is the most explosive player on the offense, Vernon Davis? Seriously, only 3 catches last week... Every game the guy is a match-up nightmare the opposing team, and he only has a good game every so often... Just like Walker will have and Crabtree will have and to a certain extent, Morgan will have... But there is no consistency in that.. Why? For the most part our offensive coaching staff has no idea how to get everyone involved, how to spread the ball around... Sing has his hands all over the offense, and it all goes through Gore and there is NO back-up plan at all.....
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
here come the conspiracy theories.
  • AZ9er
  • Veteran

This ownership is sad.

It is just bad from top to bottom. I don't know that I agree with the "incentives" clause, I think it is more of a we drafted them we better play them since they will be the "future", were as Westbrook is an emergency backup since Coffee left. It is all b.s. no doubt but the reasons for Westbrooks lack of PT is very convoluted.
Balkke did what he could to help the offense. He traded for Ginn and signed Westbrook.

Its not his fault that the coaches can't put good use to these players.
Hmm, interesting theory. The problem I see with it though is that Singletary doesn't care who makes what and would have to be told who to put in and when. And who is going to do that? Jed? Jed would piss his pants at the thought of telling Singletary his shoelaces are untied.
I take it you've liked what you've seen from Westbrook, Joe? Personally, I haven't been very impressed. He doesn't appear to be fast enough to find the corner anymore and he seems to go down on first contact quite a bit. Some of that can be attributed to play calling, but I have a sneaking suspicion that he isn't half the player he was in recent seasons.

Granted, there isn't much to go on at this point, so there's every reason to suspect my assessment is dead wrong. But, to my mind, he's nowhere close to being as useful as Walker (wrote the big Walker fan).

Originally posted by Eduardo75:

This ownership is sad.

I completely disagree.......... I'm sorry no offense intended but that is just a ridiculous theory...

The reason Westbrook is not playing more, is due to the fact that our coaching staff is too stupid and stubborn to figure out how to use the guy correctly.... The only plan from the very beginning was to run the offense through Gore... As both Sing and Raye would say, the offense stops and starts with #21....

That was the plan, and there is no back-up... How else do you explain the lack of a game plan to get the ball to who I think is the most explosive player on the offense, Vernon Davis? Seriously, only 3 catches last week... Every game the guy is a match-up nightmare the opposing team, and he only has a good game every so often... Just like Walker will have and Crabtree will have and to a certain extent, Morgan will have... But there is no consistency in that.. Why? For the most part our offensive coaching staff has no idea how to get everyone involved, how to spread the ball around... Sing has his hands all over the offense, and it all goes through Gore and there is NO back-up plan at all.....

No offense taken. I'm basing this on some very mixed messages.

1. Reducing Delanie's excuse was used but what about when Delanie was hurt?
2. Knowing the playbook but what about Troy Smith coming in for QB?
3. Coaching staff appears to have a "good idea" in getting inexperienced players involved.

I don't know, the mixed messages appear to be phony.
The only reason is that this coaching staff is a joke.
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:
I take it you've liked what you've seen from Westbrook, Joe? Personally, I haven't been very impressed. He doesn't appear to be fast enough to find the corner anymore and he seems to go down on first contact quite a bit. Some of that can be attributed to play calling, but I have a sneaking suspicion that he isn't half the player he was in recent seasons.

Granted, there isn't much to go on at this point, so there's every reason to suspect my assessment is dead wrong. But, to my mind, he's nowhere close to being as useful as Walker (wrote the big Walker fan).

He ran angry and fought his way to a nice, hard earned 5 yards that was called back on holding last week.

Looked like he had enough speed to get outside, i can guarantee on that same run gore would have been stopped for a loss in the backfield.
why call bulls**t? its probably a legit reason. rookie RBs start right away most times and they dont have years of NFL experience. Lagerret Blount was cut signed with the bucs pretty late and he came in. are you telling me blount got a handle on an NFL offense and Westbrook couldnt? the original poster is probably spot on with this idea.
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:
I take it you've liked what you've seen from Westbrook, Joe? Personally, I haven't been very impressed.

He looked like he had enough burst that on that run outside that got called back for holding. Gore can't make that play, no way.
Share 49ersWebzone