LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 419 users in the forums

Give Jed a shot

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by BobS:
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
we don't have a choice, his daddy owns the team.

As long as Daddy holds the checkbook, Jed is a powerless joke. Dingletary was hired mainly because he came cheap, like the other two head coaches after Mooch was fired.

Not saying you're stupid but that's a stupid comment. Singletary was the choice of MOST of the fans up to that point. Let's say in a fantasy world Jed did push aside Singletary and gave the job to someone who was on EVERY FAN'S wish list at the time... Mike Shanahan. Take what Shanahan is doing in Washington and imagine him doing the same in Frisco right now. Jed would be getting grief from that fans that we spent way too much money on an old out of touch coach and not keep a rising assistant in Singletary who's also already established himself in the locker room. Us fans are fickle. We're what you call the definition of MONDAY MORNING QUARTERBACKS.

Jed spends money (P willy, Vernon, stadium). That's not the problem. The problem is the niners don't have a football guy making football decisions in the front office. That's where I blame Jed York. He's making decisions based on being a fan. Which I guess is a step in the right direction cause the organization is no longer making decisions based first and foremost on money. Step 3 is to bring in a GM/ PRESIDENT. Jed fails to do this then FO SHURE the blame rests on him.
The consensus that Jed and the Niner organization is screwed up is way beyond this forum...it's throughout the NFL and the media. Hiring Singletary seemed like a good thing to do at the time...he having gotten more from the team than Nolan did. However, had Jed really done his homework, there were opportunities to hire an outside coach...he simply chose to take the easy way out and hired Singletary. It's time for Jed to put up or shut up...he'll need to convince dear ol' dad it's time to pay the piper and bring in a top veteran coach and hire a top GM or vice versa. However it plays out, the simple fact is it needs to happen, then maybe, just maybe, this organization will have a chance to be decent again.
The NFL is an extremely competitive place and the number of outstanding GM's can be counted on the fingers of one hand. How is a 28-year old kid, even with the help of his none-too-bright family, going to find one? Jed got input from other owners before he picked Nolan, and we know how that worked out.

The best option would be if the Yorks sold the team to Larry Ellison and Steve Young. Second best option, get lucky and find a really good GM, let him hire a new coach, put up a lot of $$$ and have the Yorks hide out in Ohio.

Nothing good will happen as long as the Yorks are there. As a former Israeli prime minister said about the Arabs: "They never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity."
he's going to have to win a few super bowls to convince some people here. Even then, people are going to believe what they want to believe and won't be convinced otherwise.

This next coaching hire will be the first real test.
I wish I could be optimistic. But look at the York's record.

Most NFL owners are rich, but they are rich because they were smart and earned it. In the case of the Yorks, it was Denise and Eddie's father who made the fortune. Eddie was given the franchise, and after a dismal start with Joe Thomas, Eddie made the most fortuitous of all decisions - he hired Bill Walsh. It was high risk, but it paid off handsomely.
Then Eddie screws it up, and the League forces Eddie to divest himself of the franchise. He trades it to his sister Denise for other assets. So Denise is the owner, but she has no interst in mundane things like football, so she lets her dufus husband play with this new toy. His tenure begins with hiring Donahue as GM (bad decision #1). Donahue convinces York to fire Mooch (bad decision #2). Donahue hires Erickson. After two bad seasons, York realizes he has made a mistake and fires them both.

Next, York hires Nolan (bad decision #3) as HC and GM. Nolan had never held either position before and to think he would excel at them was blind faith. In turn, Nolan hired McLoughan and Singletary, neither of whom had yet distinguished themselves as a personnel guy or as a coordinator.

After three and a half terrible years, York fires Nolan in mid-season (bad decision #4), and promotes McL to GM (bad decision #5) and Singletary to HC (bad decision #6).

McL is fired five weeks before the draft (decision might be ok), and Sing will probably get fired at end of season.

So, after eight years, what evidence do we have that the Yorks are learning from their recurrent mistakes? Not much. I am not holding my breath. As for Jed, what has the kid done to impress anyone? He didn't earn the money to buy this franchise. His involvement is strictly an accident of birth - as someone so eloquently said, He was the "lucky sperm."
Originally posted by excelsior:

Most NFL owners are rich, but they are rich because they were smart and earned it. In the case of the Yorks, it was Denise and Eddie's father who made the fortune. Eddie was given the franchise, and after a dismal start with Joe Thomas, Eddie made the most fortuitous of all decisions - he hired Bill Walsh. It was high risk, but it paid off handsomely.
Then Eddie screws it up, and the League forces Eddie to divest himself of the franchise. He trades it to his sister Denise for other assets. So Denise is the owner, but she has no interst in mundane things like football, so she lets her dufus husband play with this new toy. His tenure begins with hiring Donahue as GM (bad decision #1). Donahue convinces York to fire Mooch (bad decision #2). Donahue hires Erickson. After two bad seasons, York realizes he has made a mistake and fires them both.

Next, York hires Nolan (bad decision #3) as HC and GM. Nolan had never held either position before and to think he would excel at them was blind faith. In turn, Nolan hired McLoughan and Singletary, neither of whom had yet distinguished themselves as a personnel guy or as a coordinator.

After three and a half terrible years, York fires Nolan in mid-season (bad decision #4), and promotes McL to GM (bad decision #5) and Singletary to HC (bad decision #6).

McL is fired five weeks before the draft (decision might be ok), and Sing will probably get fired at end of season.

So, after eight years, what evidence do we have that the Yorks are learning from their recurrent mistakes? Not much. I am not holding my breath. As for Jed, what has the kid done to impress anyone? He didn't earn the money to buy this franchise. His involvement is strictly an accident of birth - as someone so eloquently said, He was the "lucky sperm."

Yup. But a lot of people around these parts still defend the York family.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Just like the way people on here defended the Erickson hiring and were happy with the Mariucci firing. And then were happy with Donahue's decisions. Then were rollin' with Nolan. Then defended Mcloughan's personnel decisions. Then were buying all the nonsensical bullsh*t coming out of Singletary's mouth. Those same fans will always blindly defend that incompetent family.
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Originally posted by wailers15:
Agree.

From what I've seen from him in the last year or so, he looks like he really wants to win.

He went after linemen because he realized that was the biggest hole on offense. (Okay, so A. Davis is pretty raw right now, but he went after the biggest need).He wants a new stadium.

He looks like he will be someone that will learn from his mistakes. I mean a LOT of people were high on Mike Singletary. I mean, s**t, I even was I'll admit it. This time he will break the bank on a veteran coach and let that man do what he does best -- find the right people for his staff.

Dude do you actually think Jed had a voice in that draft room???? LOL

You honestly think he had nothing to do with ANY decisions? That's just ignorant!

He was the first to get on the phone. The first to get excited, the first to shake hands (if you were watching the live look-in on their draft war room).

your sounding like a CHICA!!! The LIVE LOOK IN THE WAR ROOM DOESN'T TELL YOU s**t!! Does it tell you about what happened up to the point. come on man. of course he was on the phone calling and talking to the players you dult. Yes i'm sure he put his 2 cents in but man they had a gameplan going into it with scotty and they followed through with it. A little known fact that was reported on all NETWORKS!!
I think you are ignorant!
Agree.

From what I've seen from him in the last year or so, he looks like he really wants to win.

He went after linemen because he realized that was the biggest hole on offense. (Okay, so A. Davis is pretty raw right now, but he went after the biggest need).He wants a new stadium.

He looks like he will be someone that will learn from his mistakes. I mean a LOT of people were high on Mike Singletary. I mean, s**t, I even was I'll admit it. This time he will break the bank on a veteran coach and let that man do what he does best -- find the right people for his staff.

You honestly think he had nothing to do with ANY decisions? That's just ignorant!

He was the first to get on the phone. The first to get excited, the first to shake hands (if you were watching the live look-in on their draft war room).

your sounding like a CHICA!!! The LIVE LOOK IN THE WAR ROOM DOESN'T TELL YOU s**t!! Does it tell you about what happened up to the point. come on man. of course he was on the phone calling and talking to the players you dult. Yes i'm sure he put his 2 cents in but man they had a gameplan going into it with scotty and they followed through with it. A little known fact that was reported on all NETWORKS!!

Agree.

The very same thing could have been said about his uncle. But Eddie D. did learn from his mistakes, and he has been spending alot of time chatting with Jed. So maybe, just maybe young Jed will be learning from his mistakes too. There is hope still!

Young Master Jed just can't seem to STOP making proclamations about winning the NFC West. Why doesn't he just wait to see the results and keep his trap shut. The Cowboys made a change and appear the better for it. He chose to stand pat and the inconsistencies continue for this team. Mr. York (Jed) you are OFFICIALLY on the hot seat now. We the fans, have seen past your ineptitude as an owner; get help from someone who knows what they are doing and learn from them.
Originally posted by amir_tn80:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Just like the way people on here defended the Erickson hiring and were happy with the Mariucci firing. And then were happy with Donahue's decisions. Then were rollin' with Nolan. Then defended Mcloughan's personnel decisions. Then were buying all the nonsensical bullsh*t coming out of Singletary's mouth. Those same fans will always blindly defend that incompetent family.

And some fans will use their hindsight to b***h. How about remembering, for example, who recommended TDon to SF?
He keeps on losing what little credibility he's built by ridiculously clinging to the notion that the team can still win the NFC West, and that with nothing better than an 8-8 record.

He should be saying something like "While we're still mathematically in it, I'm extremely disappointed at the product that this organization has put on the field, and we should be embarrassed that we're pinning our hopes on a division where every team is playing mediocre football. The standards of this organization are higher than that."
  • Apone
  • Veteran
Give him a shot, based on what? His vast coaching and management experience? He is some 28 year old moron who inherited a football team once he graduated and got his BA. Like father like son. No playoffs, no stadium, no GM, and a s**tty team. Yet the prick has the audacity to remotely raise ticket prices. He is lucky he still sells out....
He wants to win and has faith in the team, that is a plus in my book ..But obviously we need an offensive minded head coach next year, everytime we lose an OC we have to start from scratch all over again ...Jed needs to find us an offensive minded head coach, once he surrounds himself with all the right people, they will make him look good and most importantly, make our team a much better football team, I agree this offseason will be a make or break offseason for young Jed
Share 49ersWebzone