Not a member? Register Now!

Tim Kawakami's article on hiring Jim Harbaugh

Originally posted by WestCoast:
Originally posted by Wodwo:
I think we should have a GM in place before we go after Harbaugh

Thank you!

Holy crap, thank you!

Even though I don't see it happening, this organization needs top to bottom restructuring, not just the coaching staff.

We need experienced NFL guys at the top of the food chain. Jed needs to go away and let the guys who know the NFL make the decisions. Hell, he can keep his title, as long as he doesn't get in the way. Maybe he'll learn something and when he fully inherits the team, we'll be set for generations. May be a pipe dream, but I'll smoke whatever you got in that pipe if it makes this happen.

We need someone who can come in and analyze the trainers, coaches, players, cheerleaders, equipment guys, and janitors. Decide what we have that's worth something, then make a decision about what Head Coach will fit the situation best.

Then make the Yorks pay the guy whatever he wants so we can get him. The Head Coach can make final decisions about his coaching staff, but the GM will already be there to introduce him to the coaches that he feels are worth something.

The Head Coach can keep his mind on the job of preparing players to play football games. The GM can supply that coach with more personnel that fits that coaches philosophy.

We need to simplify this s**t so that we don't overwhelm anybody like I think we did with Mike Nolan. Not that Nolan wouldn't have failed anyway, he was a crummy Head Coach with some good ideas who did end up doing some good for this franchise in the long run, mostly building a better culture for the team and improving talent levels. He just sucked at execution. Just don't make the same stupid mistake again.

Now, who do we hire as GM? Needs to be a guy who knows football history as well as the modern game. Needs to be a guy who can analyze player talent at all positions. Needs to be a guy who understands at least the basics of chalk talk on both sides of the ball. Who's available that fits that criteria?

I'm at a loss. I can't think of anyone who's available who'd want to be a GM. Tony Dungy?

Anybody got anything?

Well Kawakami mentions in his article that Michael Lombardi would be a candidate, I don't really know anything about him other than he's on NFLN lol.

Oh and I agree, someone should analyze the cheerleaders, where do I apply for that?

I would love to anal.....yze the cheerleaders.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

Well Kawakami mentions in his article that Michael Lombardi would be a candidate, I don't really know anything about him other than he's on NFLN lol.

Oh and I agree, someone should analyze the cheerleaders, where do I apply for that?

Huh.... yeah, I don't know the dude, either... let me research real quick...

Guy has connections to 49ers during 3 Walsh years as an Area Scout. '84 - '87

Was right hand man of AL Davis '99 - '07

I'll pass.

You don't need to apply to analyze them, silly. Analyze all you want. You just can't make decisions.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fly15:
Originally posted by susweel:

I'm crying tears of joy right now.

of joy?? damm sus, c'mmon dude

Pics or it didn't happen.

Should they been "of confusion", Fly?
I like the thought BUT it is CRITICAL for Jed York and Pagge Marate to step back and do their roles: Capologist, and owner: Kiss babies, get investors for what ever you want to build and stay the hell out of football operations, period.

Marate scares me more than Jed does. Memo to Jed you are the owner and this is your asset, and while you may relate to Marrate becasue he is your age and he is smart, he is not wise and he is not football smart. His research and savvey has brought us Mike Nolan, and Mike Singeltary. Beware the person who is threatened by the loss of his power, at the betterment of the organization. Your asset is loosing the faith of your paying fans which means, it is deprecating in VALUE and titters on the verge of irrelevant.

As a side note to the article as for a GM do not get Mike Lombardi, get Floyd Reese he has a better track record and has spent the last two years working for the Patriots.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by susweel:

I'm crying tears of joy right now.

of joy?? damm sus, c'mmon dude

Pics or it didn't happen.

Should they been "of confusion", Fly?

whatever you say...
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

whatever you say...

Thanks, Fly.
  • hps49
  • Veteran
History will repeat itself. Just like Walsh left Stanford for the Niners... same will happen with Harbaugh and we will win 2-3 super bowls. Mark my words.

HPS.
Originally posted by hps49:
History will repeat itself. Just like Walsh left Stanford for the Niners... same will happen with Harbaugh and we will win 2-3 super bowls. Mark my words.

HPS.

Joe Montana came from ND, so should we draft every QB that comes from ND as well? Or how about drafting every WR that comes from Mississippi Valley?
Jim harbaugh will beat John Habaugh in the super bowl. Bringing #6 to the niners, nice pipe dream.
Hiring a GM may be hard especially since Jed has his pudgy slug persona tied up to the fiction he is a true football guru. He is mostly a fan and very sluglike in both demeanor and actions. True the team needs a GM but barring that a top coach is vital and so far Baalke seems very adept at scout. I would think a top coach could operate here without too much hindrance from Jed as I do not see him as an innovative tinkerer but sort of a money changer. I think a very good young coach might be the best route. You need a lot of energy and drive to run a developing team and reruns seems like playing the same movie over and over. Of course there is risk but I think the rewards could be much higher. The main factors after coaching ability is character and that is where I have issues with Jed as he can't tell a hawk from a handsaw. Even a average coach could do well with good players but having guys like Nolan and Singletary are dead ends.
They've had 3 shots to hire a real coach, what makes you think they'll hire one now? The team was in worst shape before the last 3 hirings. You can factor in that qualified people avoid this place like the plague. The Yorks will wait until the top candidates are gone before they start the process. Who knows what they'll come up. I hope, hope, hope, I'm wrong.
tim kumiuakawasaki sucks and so does maiocco
Except for why would Harbaugh want to leave. He has a great gig in Stanford.
  • Ang
  • Hall of Fame
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=149080
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home