LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 253 users in the forums

Wasting the Career of Frank Gore...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:
you ever heard of Barry f**kin Sanders?

Played for the Cowboys, right?
Sanders made the HOF so I do not consider his career wasted.

Gore is headed for nothing really. He isn't much of a speaker so I doubt he ends up on TV. It is RB coach or bust after his career is done.
its a shame, but it happens. I'm just thankful that even though we've been such f**king garbage for so long, we still have a few players worth watching, players that are excellent at what they do
Originally posted by sfninerfanMax:
I am not going to compare Frank Gore to Roger Craig--Craig was the best Niner running back I have seen play---he ran so hard--high leg kick---he almost always got positive yards--and his receiving skills were better than Gores.

I like Frank a lot---but I don't think he is HOF.

Stats can be misleading.

Stats can be misleading, but his aren't.

If he were on a better team, he's be in the pro bowl every single year.
Originally posted by binary2nd:
He's lost a step, definitely. The rate at which he breaks long runs has declined dramatically. He's still quality though, but he needs to be used properly. Forcefeeding him only worked in his second year.

TOTAL BS.

He's running against 8 man fronts non-stop and his line isn't blocking. When he breaks something, he usually does it on his own.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by sfninerfanMax:
I am not going to compare Frank Gore to Roger Craig--Craig was the best Niner running back I have seen play---he ran so hard--high leg kick---he almost always got positive yards--and his receiving skills were better than Gores.

I like Frank a lot---but I don't think he is HOF.

Stats can be misleading.

Stats can be misleading, but his aren't.

If he were on a better team, he's be in the pro bowl every single year.

yes, agreed. That is my point about wasting it. On the 9ers, he scraps to make it once once in a while. On a decent team, every year!
Originally posted by danimal:
yeah I predicted this years ago, which is why I have suggested many times in the past to trade him

I always knew we were too far away from ever being able to use him.

Willis, Crabs , VD...sure once the rebuild is done they will have a couple of years left in them...but Gore was always tradeable in my book.

Now its too late.

There is ZERO value in trading RBs. No matter how good they are, they don't comand much in trade value.

The days of the Hershall Walker trade are over. Frank has MUCH more value as a player on the 49ers than any compensation they would get for him.
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:

Gore is headed for nothing really. He isn't much of a speaker so I doubt he ends up on TV. It is RB coach or bust after his career is done.

I do.

Why do you think he retired in his prime? He was sick of losing.
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:

I do.

Why do you think he retired in his prime? He was sick of losing.

You are right, but at least he has something to hang his hat on at the end of it all.
Yep. And before long, we'll be saying the same thing about Willis before long.

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Gore is not a HOF back...........noway.
You mean like how Detroit wasted the career of B. Sanders? Yeah, guys like Gore, Willis, etc. all deserve a SB title. They do so much for this team, but our pathetic QB situation, an OL comprised of 1st and 2nd rounders who can't run or pass block (Rachal and Davis especially), etc. keeps the good players from ever seeing the playoffs...so far.

I hope Gore and even Willis retire as Niners. There's light at the end of the tunnel when we finally hire a proven HC and draft a QB *cough*Harbaugh and Luck*cough*. Just a dream, but not a far-fetched one.

[ Edited by mcbaes72 on Nov 24, 2010 at 10:10:41 ]
Originally posted by susweel:
Gore is not a HOF back...........noway.

Thanks Nostradamus.
  • dj43
I was just thinking about this the other day.

IMO opinion, Frank is the best RB this team has ever seen. He's better than Craig. He's better than Hearst. He's better than Perry. He's better than Watters (by alot).

What sucks the most about this is the "Barry Sanders" syndrome. This team has never been able to actually take advantage of that fact and get it together. My fear is that by the time this team gets a real OC with a real HC and a real QB, Franks best days will be behind him.

I hope I'm wrong, but RBs don't last that long. :-(

He is very good, possibly HOF material but is not the best ever.

To your question/comment, his career isn't being wasted as to establishing a legacy. What is being wasted is his potential to help the team win. The utter failure to bring in coaches that can run a modern offense that establishes the pass has hurt Gore's numbers and, consequently, the chance to win.

A team with NFL average talent will win 2 or 3 games each year by out-coaching the opponent, not by superior talent. In the case of the 49ers, they have been consistently out-coached ever since Mooch was fired, and particularly this season. There is not a single game this year that the scheme or game plan has been the deciding factor. Despite Gore's fine year, all of that has been offset by issues that start with poor training/coaching.
Originally posted by dj43:
I was just thinking about this the other day.

IMO opinion, Frank is the best RB this team has ever seen. He's better than Craig. He's better than Hearst. He's better than Perry. He's better than Watters (by alot).

What sucks the most about this is the "Barry Sanders" syndrome. This team has never been able to actually take advantage of that fact and get it together. My fear is that by the time this team gets a real OC with a real HC and a real QB, Franks best days will be behind him.

I hope I'm wrong, but RBs don't last that long. :-(

He is very good, possibly HOF material but is not the best ever.

To your question/comment, his career isn't being wasted as to establishing a legacy. What is being wasted is his potential to help the team win. The utter failure to bring in coaches that can run a modern offense that establishes the pass has hurt Gore's numbers and, consequently, the chance to win.

A team with NFL average talent will win 2 or 3 games each year by out-coaching the opponent, not by superior talent. In the case of the 49ers, they have been consistently out-coached ever since Mooch was fired, and particularly this season. There is not a single game this year that the scheme or game plan has been the deciding factor. Despite Gore's fine year, all of that has been offset by issues that start with poor training/coaching.

I didn't say he was the best ever (IMO, that would be Walter Payton), I said he's the best THIS team has ever had.
Share 49ersWebzone