LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 255 users in the forums

The ONE Thing That Has Killed Your Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I am a non biased Niners Fan. I have no illusions of the Niners making the playoffs nor do I think it is out of the realm that they can win six in a row. I don't live in California. But have been a fan since 1982.

That being said there is one thing that has killed your season and one thing that needs to be fixed to turn it around, no matter the QB.

Coach Sing has been quoted, adverstised, and stubbornly stuck to the "Smash mouth football" mantra. He beleives that his own personal identity is tied to that from his playing days to his coaching days. He was applauded for bringing Vernon Davis into the fold with his style and was a nationwide talk show soundbite for "We Want Winners".
With his brand established as a hard nose no bulls**t style, then his team MUST follow the company line, his style, smash mouth, run it down their throat style.

Problem is his team is not built for it.
His team is built for play out of the shotgun. Don't confuse this with a spread offense they are two different things.
Both Smiths ran them in college.
A possesion receiver is a must across the middle and Crabtree would be the definition of that model.
A quality pass catcher out of the backfeild is needed and guess what...can you say Gore and Westbrook?
The offensive line, with all of it's talent, still starts two rookies and the blocking schemes for the shotgun does not require cross blocks or pulling, (it does require communication between them for blitz pick up and hand off assignments), and if they can't hold the outside rush a shotgun QB has more time to move out of the pocket than being under center.
Last but not least the shotgun can run up to five recievers and still be effective, but to do that you need a tight end that can catch the ball in different positions all over the field and still be able to stay in and block. I hear Vernon Davis is capable of both.
So leave the smash mouth s**t to your defense. Unleash your offense in the shotgun and trust me you can lay claim to at least 5 victories to finish the season.

You heard it here first!
Originally posted by Nuke_LaLoosh:

You heard it here first!

• fly15
  • Veteran
3, 2, 1....

Originally posted by HessianDud:

You heard it here first!

You heard it here first!

What? You mean someone else has brought this up? Damn!
  • Tman
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NC49erfan82:

You heard it here first!

its like deja vu all over again

You heard it here first!

come on, Meat.

Benching Alex smith, free alex, or suffer his wrath when he becomes Seattle's starter next year.

You heard it here first!

come on, Meat.

Nice
Man, I thought the thread title was a question.

I almost posted "The ONE thing that has killed my season is not seeing Brian Jennings get into an offensive series as a "real" Center.
"I can remember NFL critics saying the same thing when Drew was a senior," Tiller said Thursday. "'He's in that Purdue offense all the time. He lines up in the shotgun all the time, and our guys line up under center.'

"It's not like college football has a monopoly on the shotgun formation. Now that I'm out of coaching, I've watched more NFL football this year than I have the last 10 years combined. There's hardly any team in the league that doesn't have their quarterback in the shotgun anymore -- including [Ben] Roethlisberger. Not small guys. The entire league is doing what Drew Brees was criticized for coming out of college."

Brees, a two-time Heisman finalist, led the Boilermakers to their first Rose Bowl appearance in 34 years and broke the Big Ten's career passing records. A three-year starter, Brees threw for 11,792 yards, 90 touchdowns and 45 interceptions. Initially projected as a mid-first round pick, Brees slipped to the first pick of the second round in the 2001 draft. We all know how that's turned out.

An eight-year starter for the Chargers and Saints, Brees became just the second player in NFL history to throw for 5,000 yards in a season in 2008 and this season set the league record for completion percentage (70.6).

Joe Tiller
Share 49ersWebzone