LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 274 users in the forums

receivers getting open?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • dj43
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Wodwo:

Yah figured out in one game is a completely absurd statement.

No... it isn't. I've been talking about the possibility since I was saying he should be the starter in London.

Kurt Warner said he was figured out before the game even started. He called it. He said that the Bucs needed to force Troy to throw from the pocket... remember that?

Keep Troy from extending a play outside the pocket and he fails.

It was one game. It was one game against the worst pass rushing team in the NFL.

But hey, I could be wrong. We'll see what happens next week.

Exactly lets see what happens, he may very have been figured out but I'd like to see more then one game of it.
It wasn't too hard to figure out how to control Troy. I wrote last week that all it would take was to bring edge rushers to keep him from rolling out and force him to attempt to throw over taller linemen. The fact that SF OL has not been able to keep opposing DL hands down made that glaringly obvious. If I could figure that out from my computer I'm sure the professionals in Tampa Bay had it even sooner.
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by WestCoast:

yes you have perfect logic.

let's start a guy who is proven crap vs a guy who is unproven crap

I sense sarcasm.

Hey, you're entitled to your opinion. I just don't like the trend I've seen in the last two games. Troy is taking a lot of sacks. I'm worried he'll have a serious career altering injury. I would like to keep the kid around and see if we can develop him. Just my opinion, WestCoast.

I'm sorry for acting like a jerk. Forgive me?

well dingleberry and troy smith's 2-1 record with only 1 turnover disagree with you
  • dj43
Originally posted by SF4EVA:
I truly dont understand why every receiver is covered when they do catch the ball. With all the speed we have and none of them get open. I saw too many time when you can see Troy wanting to throw but the rec is not Showing open yet. Thus him holding to the ball. Maybe im tripping but since i dont get a great view of this im concerned.

Now something else im noting is the actual plays all go deep. not actually attacking each zone. Dont understand Why but i do know that change will come. Hopefully it is a coach that actually understands this and not one that just has a name. the Bucs coach is the same age as Ronde. Hell he's my age. But he is doing a good job of putting the players in the right place. They are one of the youngest teams in the league. So the Alexcuse of age no longer works. BTW so is New England.
WHEW! I am glad to see that at least one other person on this board is seeing, and writing about stuff that I have been trying to point out to people. Thank you.
Nothing like a professional team running the wrong routes during plays on week 11 of a 16 week season. Hopefully by midseason next year they will be on the right plays Also if they are running the wrong routes then that should fall on the damn WR's coach. Just another reason why Sully needs to be fired as well.
What the heck do these guys do in practice? Practice blocking for Gore?
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

I doubt they even do that. I think Singletary just has them reviewing game tape all week.
Originally posted by backontop:

I doubt they even do that. I think Singletary just has them reviewing game tape all week.

You ever notice how weak our blocking is on Screens? They dont work half as well as when other teams use it against us.
Originally posted by backontop:

You ever notice how weak our blocking is on Screens? They dont work half as well as when other teams use it against us.

that's because our coaching staff doesn't work half as hard as a regular coaching staff. Dumb lazy coaches make for dumb lazy players.
Here's what I don't understand and am incapable of understanding until the networks decide that I'm allowed to view the entire field. What exactly in the hell is going on past the down marker?

We know Tampa played a ton of zone on us, that much is a given. So did our receivers not sit down on their routes properly or even just running through zones? Missed reads/communication? Maybe our young QB was holding onto the ball too long or not willing to throw his receivers open to a soft spot? Maybe the timing is off? Maybe the guys are open and Blacksmith really can't be a pocket passer in this league? There's just so much stuff that's gone unanswered by Singletary and quite honestly, if he were to elaborate on the situation I wouldn't believe him because he doesn't know what he's looking at anyway.

Maybe this has been asked and answered already, but can anybody who was at the game enlighten me as to WTF went on out there? I'd like to think our receivers and QB have the flexibility inherent to professionals to adjust their reads and exploit zone, but given Simpletary's track record in regards to flexibility, they probably don't. I refuse to believe that "some teams just have your #". That is not a valid excuse ever. There's a way to win every single game if you have the talent; I believe we do, but as I said earlier, I'm incapable of making that evaluation properly because I've rarely had the opportunity to see our guys work down field.

Looking for people who were at the game or flying overhead in a blimp to weigh in here. Serious question: WTF is going on out there aside from our sieve of an O-line making things 10 times harder than they need to be?
  • fly15
  • Veteran

Film....

Honestly, I saw Troy have or make time for himself in and out of the pocket. He often took too many steps instead of just focusing on receivers down the field. But there WERE passes to be made... and he just didn't attempt them. Whether held back by Mike's philosophy... covered receivers... or just poor QB vision... the throws were not often made when there was time. This was something that people praised about Troy. That he would take his shots... and he wouldn't vs the Bucs.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Sing said they were running the wrong routes.

how would he know? seriously....
The 9ers don't have a decent possession reciever though Crabtree should turn into one. Do they fear going over the middle? Why can't they find the open spot and sit? Can they read the D?

I agree that I would like to see more wide shots, at least on replays, so that we can see the coverages.

[ Edited by dtg_9er on Nov 23, 2010 at 09:31:14 ]
  • dj43
Originally posted by NatralBrnThrila:
Here's what I don't understand and am incapable of understanding until the networks decide that I'm allowed to view the entire field. What exactly in the hell is going on past the down marker?

We know Tampa played a ton of zone on us, that much is a given. So did our receivers not sit down on their routes properly or even just running through zones? Missed reads/communication? Maybe our young QB was holding onto the ball too long or not willing to throw his receivers open to a soft spot? Maybe the timing is off? Maybe the guys are open and Blacksmith really can't be a pocket passer in this league? There's just so much stuff that's gone unanswered by Singletary and quite honestly, if he were to elaborate on the situation I wouldn't believe him because he doesn't know what he's looking at anyway.

Maybe this has been asked and answered already, but can anybody who was at the game enlighten me as to WTF went on out there? I'd like to think our receivers and QB have the flexibility inherent to professionals to adjust their reads and exploit zone, but given Simpletary's track record in regards to flexibility, they probably don't. I refuse to believe that "some teams just have your #". That is not a valid excuse ever. There's a way to win every single game if you have the talent; I believe we do, but as I said earlier, I'm incapable of making that evaluation properly because I've rarely had the opportunity to see our guys work down field.

Looking for people who were at the game or flying overhead in a blimp to weigh in here. Serious question: WTF is going on out there aside from our sieve of an O-line making things 10 times harder than they need to be?
Gary Plummer is a good credible source on the radio broadcast. (I listen to the radio at home games and even when the team is on the road. I normally re-watch the game at least once.) Sunday he commented on several occasions that "the 49er receivers just are not getting open." He has singled out Vernon Davis for "not being on the same page" as 49er QBs on hot reads when blitzes force a quick throw. He has also criticized him for not using his body to shield defenders away from the ball on short routes. On drag and crossing routes he often runs behind the LB instead of in front of them where he would be available for a quick throw. Crabtree has caught criticism for not working back to the QB when the initial read breaks down. Morgan is "just not getting open." TV commentators have made similar observations at various times.

Those are some of Plummer's comments that I recall specifically. FWIW, I have made similar observations on my own.
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by NatralBrnThrila:

Gary Plummer is a good credible source on the radio broadcast. (I listen to the radio at home games and even when the team is on the road. I normally re-watch the game at least once.) Sunday he commented on several occasions that "the 49er receivers just are not getting open." He has singled out Vernon Davis for "not being on the same page" as 49er QBs on hot reads when blitzes force a quick throw. He has also criticized him for not using his body to shield defenders away from the ball on short routes. On drag and crossing routes he often runs behind the LB instead of in front of them where he would be available for a quick throw. Crabtree has caught criticism for not working back to the QB when the initial read breaks down. Morgan is "just not getting open." TV commentators have made similar observations at various times.

Those are some of Plummer's comments that I recall specifically. FWIW, I have made similar observations on my own.

Much appreciated There's more useful information in that 1 post about what's going on with our receivers than Simpletary has given me in 2 years of watching him dribble all over his post game presser's. I nominate you as our next head coach.
Share 49ersWebzone