There are 189 users in the forums

receivers getting open?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by WestCoast:
Originally posted by excelsior:
While Alex was QB, he was often criticized for being indecisive, for unnecessarily throwing the ball away or for checking down, for which some derisively labeled him "Captain Checkdown."

I give Alex credit for being smart and reasonably experienced, so I gave him the benefit of the doubt that it was because he couldn't find open receivers downfield. Occassionally, the TV camara would look downfield and you could see that the receivers were covered and were not breaking open.

Alex did what any competent QB would do, and he went elsewhere with the ball. Often, we would see Vernon go downfield and he would not turn around when the QB desparately wanted to throw to him. This happened again near the end of yesterday's game, only this time Troy was the victim.

Bottom line: our receivers often let our QBs down. If its Alex, it's Alex's fault. If it's Troy, it's on the receivers.

90% of the time there are open receivers and Alex Smith can't find them.

The receivers must be WIDE OPEN before his genius brain will tell him to throw it.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jeremysmiley:
Originally posted by fly15:
Originally posted by Wodwo:

as much as I wanna say no, yes

Awesome. ::hug::

I don't care if Alex or Troy or Luck or Montana is behind center. The rest of this crap needs to get fixed before any QB can have success here.

It's disgusting to me that the entire offense is as bad as it is.

I do care, I hope is Luck next year, if Troy suxs the rest of the season...

I watch Luck vs Oregon. He wasnt very impressive.

I saw that
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

I dont know about that, but close to 100% for sure

I don't know what happened to the old "Official Alex Smith Thread" or I'd get a quote for you.

do it

The thread is gone. Deleted by the mods, I guess. This is the best I could do:

Link
Originally posted by excelsior:
While Alex was QB, he was often criticized for being indecisive, for unnecessarily throwing the ball away or for checking down, for which some derisively labeled him "Captain Checkdown."

I give Alex credit for being smart and reasonably experienced, so I gave him the benefit of the doubt that it was because he couldn't find open receivers downfield. Occassionally, the TV camara would look downfield and you could see that the receivers were covered and were not breaking open.

Alex did what any competent QB would do, and he went elsewhere with the ball. Often, we would see Vernon go downfield and he would not turn around when the QB desparately wanted to throw to him. This happened again near the end of yesterday's game, only this time Troy was the victim.

Bottom line: our receivers often let our QBs down. If its Alex, it's Alex's fault. If it's Troy, it's on the receivers.

alex will never be as good as troy

Troy has a terrible game, and all of sudden Alex Smith is way better than him...I know that both these guys are not getting any help from their O-Line, but how can one terrible game be the reason to say that Alex is better than Troy? When Alex has had his huge share of terrible games throughout his career. People can't say that Smith hasn't had any games worse than this. Yes he has.
Originally posted by susweel:
Sing said they were running the wrong routes.

troyexucses
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

troyexucses

Wow. How about we let Troy develop for 6 years? I think thats enough time to judge a QB.

Sheesh. I'm not saying Troy is the answer, or even better than Alex. But come on, one bad game isn't enough to judge a QB...
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

troyexucses

Yes they are.

haha
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

"Open" and "in the right place" and "looking for the ball" are all different things.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

The receivers must be WIDE OPEN before his genius brain will tell him to throw it.

Do you really need me to go find video evidence to prove this wrong?

"Open" and "in the right place" and "looking for the ball" are all different things.

Yeah, cuz our recievers are so f**king stupid, they never run the correct route and never look for the ball. I know it happens at times, but thats not the reason why Alex doesn't throw it downfield...And troy yesterday...

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by niner4life21:

troyexucses

Wow. How about we let Troy develop for 6 years? I think thats enough time to judge a QB.

Sheesh. I'm not saying Troy is the answer, or even better than Alex. But come on, one bad game isn't enough to judge a QB...

This

I even said after Troy played good the last two games that I would not judge him until he plays at least 10 games. I never said that Troy was the answer, we just dont know either way if he is good or not yet.

With Alex Smith we have enough proof to make the judgment that he sucks big rhinoceros cocks.

troyexucses

This

I even said after Troy played good the last two games that I would not judge him until he plays at least 10 games. I never said that Troy was the answer, we just dont know either way if he is good or not yet.

With Alex Smith we have enough proof to make the judgment that he sucks big rhinoceros cocks.

Exactly! Some people are saying that hes been 'figured out'. WTF? So I guess to some people on the board, Alex hasn't been yet? Wait I forgot, theres nothing to figure out about him.
  • dj43
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Alex has had much worse games than troy.
Alex has NEVER had a game like the one troy had last week.

debate that.

Alex had been completely programmed to not even try the Hail Marys that Troy threw. Troy had not been in the system long enough to receive his "programming" yet. However, the coaching staff solved that "problem" during the past week - Sing cleaned up that li'l problem and we saw what happened - he looked as bad as Alex ever has.
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Alex has had much worse games than troy.
Alex has NEVER had a game like the one troy had last week.

debate that.

Alex had been completely programmed to not even try the Hail Marys that Troy threw. Troy had not been in the system long enough to receive his "programming" yet. However, the coaching staff solved that "problem" during the past week - Sing cleaned up that li'l problem and we saw what happened - he looked as bad as Alex ever has.

What kind of programming are you talking about? So you're trying to say that if Alex saw a wide open reciever running free, the reason he doesn't throw it to them is 'cause the coach told him not to? I don't believe this stupid bulls**t, lmao. And even if its true, then Alex is a dips**t for doing this. LMAO
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

Yeah, cuz our recievers are so f**king stupid, they never run the correct route and never look for the ball. I know it happens at times, but thats not the reason why Alex doesn't throw it downfield...And troy yesterday...

No, there are a number of reasons that I think Alex doesn't throw it down field.

1) His deep ball isn't very accurate. He worries about throwing it where the DB can't get it. He's conservative and gun-shy.

2) Our 0-line is and has been terrible since he's been here. He has PTSD and spends less time looking down field, both because he is getting real pressure or he's (rightfully, IMO) worried that he will get pressure soon.

3) Our receivers take too long to get open when running their routes... if they even run the right route.

4) Our offense is conservative and we design pass plays to be low risk, ball control, short passes.

Troy Smith was able to find open receivers when he could extend plays with his legs because it gave the receivers more time to make moves on DBs and finish routes. Also, more importantly, it allowed the offense to improvise. Take away Troy's ability to extend plays and you saw what happened.
Share 49ersWebzone