LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 253 users in the forums

Why do teams always know what play the 49ers are going to run?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
My 5 year old grand daughter knows what play the Niners are going to run.........
Think about it, when was the last time you saw a play-action? We've used mis-direction in one game this year.

I have some sources inside the organization and they've showed me the playbook.
Here it is
49ers playbook:
1st down-Run up the middle
2nd down-Run up the middle
3rd down-desperation pass
4th down-punt

Now here's where the playbook gets tricky. This is the area that Nate Davis can't grasp.

Sometimes they switch 3rd down with 1st.

And that is the 49ers playbook.
Originally posted by Blitz:
Originally posted by Bluefalcon61:
film

This. They obviously know how to look at the film.

When Singletary says he'll look at the film, he doesn't specify what film he'll be looking at. It could be an episode of Scooby-Doo for all we know.
Originally posted by bracus:
Think about it, when was the last time you saw a play-action? We've used mis-direction in one game this year.

I have some sources inside the organization and they've showed me the playbook.
Here it is
49ers playbook:
1st down-Run up the middle
2nd down-Run up the middle
3rd down-desperation pass
4th down-punt

Now here's where the playbook gets tricky. This is the area that Nate Davis can't grasp.

Sometimes they switch 3rd down with 1st.

And that is the 49ers playbook.

You obviously didnt watch the last two niner games. The 49ers used that stupid power I formation, and ran the same playaction play at least 12 times over the last two games.

Against the rams it worked a lot, against the bucs they had film on it.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by highwayone:
The article said Frank Gore was tipping them off.

I'm guessing Frank Gore leans forward when he's about to run. I've seen that before.

I've said it before, NFL football is a game where attention to detail matters. Teams will scout you and find any patterns or tendencies there are to find. Our coaching staff doesn't know how to adequately prepare the team to win.

Singletary and his staff are so behind the curve in this regard, that it will be totally lost on them.

You can't ever have a static gameplan....any new wrinkles you add, gimmicks you run will be scouted by the next week. The important thing is awareness of this, and being able to anticipate that you've been scouted, and having counters ready.

It's a thinking man's game.

[ Edited by kray28 on Nov 22, 2010 at 12:15:31 ]
Of course. Run up the gut on 2 and 14. I thought we fired Jimmy Raye?
This kind of news is very disturbing, and what sucks even more is Sing obviously don't see it on film.
Originally posted by verb1der:
Originally posted by pd24:
Quote:
-Bucs linebacker Niko Koutouvides said he knew when the 49ers were going to pass and when Troy Smith was going to roll out by tells given away by the offensive and Frank Gore.
Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?entry_id=77526#ixzz162Jzv1O6

This is the 3rd or 4th time I have heard this season. The coaching staff still doesn't have a clue.. Im pretty sure most of us knew what play the 49ers were going to run yesterday.

A product of Sing sticking to his "vision" of being a smashmouth team.

He sad that he does not want to fool anybody. Well he does not.
Against the Rams, Johnson made nice adjustemnts and the Rams did not kow what was comming.

That was obviously to much finesse for Singletary, so he ordered a more no nonsence aproach, we have seen the result. 0 points scored, punting when in FG range.
when the other team tells the media they know the plays by the OL and RB cues---that is a GIFT to the Niners coaching staff---telling them they need to fix it and fix it ASAP.

But obviously it has not been fixed----I am perplexed.
run up the middle or roll out....

cuz our f**king offense was created from 1965
When you only run five different plays, it's not hard to figure out. Every time is see Moron Norris I cry a little inside
This is astounding to me.

I used to work at a think tank that did military strategy and operational planning. The military spent a tremendous amount of energy reaching out to "outsiders" to assess their capabilities and play the "red team" in simulations and exercises -- so that they could see how others might try to oppose and surprise them.

Sometimes the red team would get them pretty good, which invariably led to protests that "nobody would fight like that." But quickly, cooler heads would prevail and the officers would IMMEDIATELY want to know how their moves were anticipated, and how the strategy was so disruptive to them. Sometimes it involved small unit tactics, sometimes air warfare, sometimes communications.

I'll tell you what, the same trick rarely worked twice on them. Those guys learned damn fast, and with the depth of capabilities at the disposal of our military, they figured out how to thwart an oppoising plan and hurt you pretty bad next time around.

I often thought that with all the money at stake, NFL teams must do a lot of the same "red team" or self-scouting. And I learned that most teams had self scouting covered pretty well.

APPARENTLY THE 49ERS DO NOT!!!
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by jimbagg:
Play-tipping is a HUGE reason why the Niners have been getting smothered on offense in most every game. In the NFL, the difference between winners and losers is small. Having the advantage of knowing what play is coming, is a huge edge, when the talent levels among teams are so close.

This week, TB's MLB pointed to the OL and Frank Gore, as the tipsters, and that it was evident even in games when Alex Smith was the QB. This was more than film study. It was reading tells on the field before every snap, as the game unfolded.

Last week, the Rams said that they prepared by "following Mike Iupati to the ball", which was more of a film study thing. And the Rams were done in by couner-tendency play-calling by Mike Johnson.

Here is my questuion. How can this still be happening in Game 10 of the season? Where is the position coaching? Why can't Solari, Brown and Rarthman see this and correct it? Doesn't this team use its Quality Control coaches to screen for call tendencies, formations and player tells? That's the standard NFL practice.

I operate on the premise that no player willingly wants to give a tell. Why should he want to be unsuccessful or get his brains beat in So, it falls to the coaching staff to spot this stuff and correct it.

Can some of you guys with some higher level coaching experience comment on this, please?

This is pure 100% coaching. It's clearly someone saying "have Iupati block for Gore." It's 100% play design - this is before we get to the practice field. This is the coaching staff not seeing and understanding their OWN tendencies and understanding opposing defenses will see the SAME THING on film. It's clear who ever has the final word in game planning doesn't understand football at a level where they can create enough diversity in their play design where defenses are kept guessing.

I am almost sure this is the case where Singletary is telling his staff what should be done. It's not just that Johnson caught everyone off guard with the Rams, it's that the entire playbook was used. It wasn't just runs - it wasn't just passing or play-action. What's considerable is that people aren't able to make in-game adjustments. This wasn't the case. Read Singletary's lips during the game: "we're going to keep running this ball". Singletray not understanding that the opposing team was reading the plays pre-snap and knew what was coming. Play-action only works with a running game. So they 49ers should have went shotgun, spread it out and play a short - to medium passing game. The Bucs don't get sacks so having Troy roll out of the pocket into a waiting (wide stance) defensive end against Davis was a disadvantage. Not accounting for the delayed blitz coming between the center and RG (Rachal of course) was a problem.

No adjustments.

This isn't about execution. This isn't about the players needing to play or make plays. This is about strategy which is still a big part of football.

They can't install a game plan for s**t, even if they get the right one.

Here's the biggy difference: They had a an extra week to prepare for the Rams.It showed. Now it is back to business as usual, no extra week now, and they are in way over their heads.
Originally posted by verb1der:
Originally posted by pd24:
Quote:
-Bucs linebacker Niko Koutouvides said he knew when the 49ers were going to pass and when Troy Smith was going to roll out by tells given away by the offensive and Frank Gore.
Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?entry_id=77526#ixzz162Jzv1O6

This is the 3rd or 4th time I have heard this season. The coaching staff still doesn't have a clue.. Im pretty sure most of us knew what play the 49ers were going to run yesterday.

A product of Sing sticking to his "vision" of being a smashmouth team.

I’m not trying to out-smart anybody. I’m not trying to be a magician. We’re playing football. And we need to be able to run the football. - Mike Singletary, 2008.
Share 49ersWebzone