There are 197 users in the forums

Ozzie Newsome on Troy Smith

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • dj43
Originally posted by Archie:
He was still better than Alex Smith. If Flacco is so mediocre then Alex Smith must be below poor. Flacco is a quality player at the qb position, not a superstar but a quality player, whereas Alex Smith is not. I agree with other posters Flacco got the job because of money politics and because he is a good player. I don't think Troy got cut for bad performance. Heck, Kurt Warner would never had a chance to start if Trent Green were healthy and clearly Warner was a better player than Green. Troy Smith is the best qb we have had since Jeff Garcia.
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by rob28:
Originally posted by DesiDez:
According to Jim Tressel....

Quote:
Tressel said being that he has never coached in the NFL, he didn't really know if Smith had what it took to be a starter in the pros. So he asked someone who did know.

"It's tough for me to project what they need at that level because I've never coached it, obviously never played it, so I really don't know much about that level of football," Tressel said. "When Troy had spent two years at Baltimore, I had a chance to spend some time with (general manager) Ozzie Newsome. He said to me, he said without question Troy was the finest natural leader that maybe he'd ever seen and that there was no doubt in his mind he was going to be a starter in the NFL.

"Troy, I guess he had a heck of a game," Tressel said. "I got a text from his quarterback coach saying, 'hey, he did a tremendous job and has done a great job leading.'"
Of course Newsome will say something good about the guy. He drafted him.

OTOH, if Smith was such a great leader, why didn't regain his job from a very mediocre Joe Flacco?

I fear we are all building up great hope for a guy who has performed well against two weak teams. Let's hang back a bit until we see how he fares against the Bucs, GB and the Chargers. If we are still singing his praises after those three games, then we can indeed have high hopes for 2011.

i stopped at "mediocre joe flacco" a mediocre rookie qb from delaware who led the ravens to the afc championship game. you fail.
Go back and read my definition of mediocre, or did you "fail" to read that?

Flacco did not LEAD the Ravens. The defense kicked everybody's behind and he had a great running game. THAT was what led the Ravens. He threw for 14 TDs and 12 INTs and had a QB rating of 80.3.

In the playoff game against the Titans he had two chances to take his team down the field to win and he failed both times, IIRC.
It would be much easier to follow your thoughts if you would post BELOW the last previous comment.

This thread is about the Raven's QB situation. IN THAT CONTEXT, Joe Flacco has played on a very average level compared to the rest of the QBs in the league. That makes HIM average. In fact, his stats suggest that if he were playing on a team with a lesser defense, he might not even be average. He normally has good field position and relatively little pressure on him to "win the game" for his team.

That's all...

Quote:
Tressel said being that he has never coached in the NFL, he didn't really know if Smith had what it took to be a starter in the pros. So he asked someone who did know.

"It's tough for me to project what they need at that level because I've never coached it, obviously never played it, so I really don't know much about that level of football," Tressel said. "When Troy had spent two years at Baltimore, I had a chance to spend some time with (general manager) Ozzie Newsome. He said to me, he said without question Troy was the finest natural leader that maybe he'd ever seen and that there was no doubt in his mind he was going to be a starter in the NFL.

"Troy, I guess he had a heck of a game," Tressel said. "I got a text from his quarterback coach saying, 'hey, he did a tremendous job and has done a great job leading.'"

OTOH, if Smith was such a great leader, why didn't regain his job from a very mediocre Joe Flacco?

That's not the question. The question is, why did he not even make the team?

I'm not nearly as high on Troy Smith as most of the WZ, but I'd like to be proven wrong about that.
He was still better than Alex Smith. If Flacco is so mediocre then Alex Smith must be below poor. Flacco is a quality player at the qb position, not a superstar but a quality player, whereas Alex Smith is not. I agree with other posters Flacco got the job because of money politics and because he is a good player. I don't think Troy got cut for bad performance. Heck, Kurt Warner would never had a chance to start if Trent Green were healthy and clearly Warner was a better player than Green. Troy Smith is the best qb we have had since Jeff Garcia.

Quote:

I fear we are all building up great hope for a guy who has performed well against two weak teams. Let's hang back a bit until we see how he fares against the Bucs, GB and the Chargers. If we are still singing his praises after those three games, then we can indeed have high hopes for 2011.

i stopped at "mediocre joe flacco" a mediocre rookie qb from delaware who led the ravens to the afc championship game. you fail.

Flacco did not LEAD the Ravens. The defense kicked everybody's behind and he had a great running game. THAT was what led the Ravens. He threw for 14 TDs and 12 INTs and had a QB rating of 80.3.

In the playoff game against the Titans he had two chances to take his team down the field to win and he failed both times, IIRC.
It would be much easier to follow your thoughts if you would post BELOW the last previous comment.

This thread is about the Raven's QB situation. IN THAT CONTEXT, Joe Flacco has played on a very average level compared to the rest of the QBs in the league. That makes HIM average. In fact, his stats suggest that if he were playing on a team with a lesser defense, he might not even be average. He normally has good field position and relatively little pressure on him to "win the game" for his team.

That's all...

I don't think it's as basic as the stats. You must look at the QB's play and the types of throws they attempt. For example, Alex Smith absolutely does not attempt throws to the level of difficulty as a QB like Palmer, McNabb, or Hasselbeck.

I bet if those three QB's only threw the types of throws Alex Smith has shown to throw, their percentages and efficiency sky rockets.

Take a look at Brett Favre: if he tries to do too much, he is terrible but if he plays it safe, he's one of the best QB's in the league whereas Alex Smith plays it safe and still puts up mediocre to below average production.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Joecool:

Quote:

That's all...

I don't think it's as basic as the stats. You must look at the QB's play and the types of throws they attempt. For example, Alex Smith absolutely does not attempt throws to the level of difficulty as a QB like Palmer, McNabb, or Hasselbeck.

I bet if those three QB's only threw the types of throws Alex Smith has shown to throw, their percentages and efficiency sky rockets.

Take a look at Brett Favre: if he tries to do too much, he is terrible but if he plays it safe, he's one of the best QB's in the league whereas Alex Smith plays it safe and still puts up mediocre to below average production.
Flacco makes throws close to the same class as what Alex Smith was asked to under Jimmy Raye. That Baltimore team wins with defense and running, and very conservative passing offense.

To your examples: Palmer and Hasselback throw average risk passes in this league. They aren't remotely in the same class as Favre. McNabb has always had accuracy issues. He got a great deal of notoriety for his running and mobility and big arm but he also misses a lot and has a lot of picks, not because he takes high risks but because he has never been very accurate. His career completion percentage is only 58%. Has been over 60 only twice in his entire career. His failure to win big games is well known, much of it over accuracy issues.
Originally posted by Gavintech:

Quote:

That's not the question. The question is, why did he not even make the team?

I'm not nearly as high on Troy Smith as most of the WZ, but I'd like to be proven wrong about that.

there's already been a lot of speculation on here as to why he didn't make the team. But the bottom line is that they had a better option in Joe Flacco and didn't have the need for a young QB who didn't necessarily fit the style of their offense. Anyway, that doesn't change the fact that Troy has to prove his ability on the field, for us. What happened in the past is in the past.

Also, I do agree with dj that Flacco isn't that great, though the word I would use is "average" rather than "mediocre" (though I think both terms are technically correct; mediocre can mean "not very good" and I don't think i would say that Flacco is very good; I think he's just good). He's a young QB who has had success on a good, veteran team from the get-go, isn't asked to win games by himself, has room to grow, could have a bright future, but as it stands, he isn't among the top-ten QBs in the league, and isn't in the bottom ten. He floats around somewhere in the middle. He's a good football player and a pretty solid QB and someday he might prove to be elite; but he's not right now. And that adds up to average.

Quote:

That's all...

Flacco makes throws close to the same class as what Alex Smith was asked to under Jimmy Raye. That Baltimore team wins with defense and running, and very conservative passing offense.

To your examples: Palmer and Hasselback throw average risk passes in this league. They aren't remotely in the same class as Favre. McNabb has always had accuracy issues. He got a great deal of notoriety for his running and mobility and big arm but he also misses a lot and has a lot of picks, not because he takes high risks but because he has never been very accurate. His career completion percentage is only 58%. Has been over 60 only twice in his entire career. His failure to win big games is well known, much of it over accuracy issues.

I do agree that Palmer and Hasselbeck are not in the same class as Favre, period, but McNabb over his career has not had a lot of picks, in fact McNabb had one of the alltime best td/interception ratios in Nfl history. McNabb has had accuracy issues but a lot of people pile on as much negativity about him as they can versus just calling it like it is. McNabb has always been a winner throughout his career without a running game to back him up. I don't think you're giving Flacco enough credit just to salvage your point. Troy Smith is a good player and Flacco is a good player and I believe that Troy asked for his release versus being cut for poor performance. I am one of first person's that did not believe in Troy because I thought he was running-quarterback but after watching him play it is obvious that Troy can play the position of quarterback completely, ie, run and pass. I also state that completion percentage does not mean too much since Hall of famer Dan Marino's completion percentage was in the 50's, look it up. I think JoeCool is right that you have to look at the type of throws attempted. Last thing on McNabb, you have to get to a big game for someone to even talk about you not winning it. Where has Alex Smith been???

Quote:

That's all...

I do agree that Palmer and Hasselbeck are not in the same class as Favre, period, but McNabb over his career has not had a lot of picks, in fact McNabb had one of the alltime best td/interception ratios in Nfl history. McNabb has had accuracy issues but a lot of people pile on as much negativity about him as they can versus just calling it like it is. McNabb has always been a winner throughout his career without a running game to back him up. I don't think you're giving Flacco enough credit just to salvage your point. Troy Smith is a good player and Flacco is a good player and I believe that Troy asked for his release versus being cut for poor performance. I am one of first person's that did not believe in Troy because I thought he was running-quarterback but after watching him play it is obvious that Troy can play the position of quarterback completely, ie, run and pass. I also state that completion percentage does not mean too much since Hall of famer Dan Marino's completion percentage was in the 50's, look it up. I think JoeCool is right that you have to look at the type of throws attempted. Last thing on McNabb, you have to get to a big game for someone to even talk about you not winning it. Where has Alex Smith been???

MAN! I was asking this same question back when it was rumored that the Niners were interested in him.
Originally posted by JustaFan45:

Quote:

That's all...

MAN! I was asking this same question back when it was rumored that the Niners were interested in him.

Thanks, heck, you have to be in it to win it!!!
How did this turn into Donovan McNabb talk? Well, since it did. Anyone notice that when McNabb has gone out, no matter when in the season, the Eagles have been able to just keep on rolling no matter who the QB was? Even playing very well in the playoffs without him.
Simple equation:

49er football with Alex Smith = BORING, loser football.

49er football with Troy Smith =

Member Milestone: This is post number 600 for zeppfan1.
Hopefully he's got a future here. All I know is he has made watching Niner games interesting, dare I say fun, again.
  • cools
  • Veteran
Billick was on KNBR a couple days ago and also spoke highly of Troy

But he did mention that Troy often had trouble with accuracy when he was in Balt.
Originally posted by cools:

But he did mention that Troy often had trouble with accuracy when he was in Balt.

Yeah, he said he had trouble with accuracy coming out of college but it appears as though he has fixed that now.
Originally posted by cools:

Yeah, he said he had trouble with accuracy coming out of college but it appears as though he has fixed that now.

Who was surrounding Troy in Baltimore? Weren't they just a running team? On paper they have nasty D, but the O, well the 49ers seem better except for that O line.
Share 49ersWebzone