There are 60 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Ozzie Newsome on Troy Smith

• dj43
  • Veteran
Originally posted by craigyboy:
Originally posted by jonr422000:
Remember our receivers made so great catches, and lady luck was on our side on a couple of passes Walkers TD Catch for 1

these are the same wr's that alex had but the main differnce is that 1. he doesn't turbo-checkdown and takes the downfiled shots and 2. puts the ball where the receiver can get it.

he still has a lot to prove - namely consistency. but nate had his shot in exhibition and failed. maybe later if he continues to grow but for right now i think we're better off bankin on troy.
I agree with your main point but disagree on play design. The actual plays being called now are very different than when Jimmy Raye was running the offense. Raye rarely used 3 receiver sets and rarely ran anybody deep. Now Johnson is using multiple receivers often and using one deep to try to clear space for underneath routes or to get open deep. Raye hardly ever even attempted that and when he did, it was only a single receiver. As the receivers become more adjusted to the nuances of the Johnson stuff, I expect the offense to get even better with a continuation of the deep balls that having been working so well.

Even running plays are very different. For example, look at the first two plays in OT Sunday. The 49ers had become known for running behind Iupati and teams began to just follow him to get to Frank. So the first play Johnson had Iupati pull to the right and tossed it wide LEFT to Gore who picked up a big gain - the misdirection had the Rams totally fooled. The very next play, Johnson crossed them up again by pulling Iupati to the left and tossed left as well. The OLB for the Rams hesitated on the pulling action because he had been fooled the last time and Gore picked up 6 or 7 yards on that play. Not only were those plays not in Raye's playbook but he NEVER seemed to sequence plays like that built on on another.

[ Edited by dj43 on Nov 18, 2010 at 08:28:08 ]
Troy has a deep voice, and that is imperative to winning tough games. If you have a squeaky voice like Alex, you're never gonna have success in the NFL.
  • dj43
  • Veteran
Originally posted by obx49:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:

OTOH, if Smith was such a great leader, why didn't regain his job from a very mediocre Joe Flacco?

Emphasis mine.

Come on dj43, Flacco came out of the gates like a house on fire. You clearly know your football, so that remark comes accross as a bit disingenous.

I've kept my nose clear of the QB war, but you're in danger of being lumped into the susweel/fly15 camp, in my mind.

You're better than that.
Thank you for the remark on my "knowledge."

eh, perhaps I should have just left out the word "very."

His career QB rating is 85%.

Current season to date it 90% which puts him at #16, right in the middle of the 32 teams.

Career TD = 50, INTs = 31. IMO, he should have less than half picks to TDs.

Both of those categories are consistent with last year and this. That makes him "average" or "mediocre," IMO.

Considering he plays on a team with arguably one of the top 3 defenses in the league, those are not sparkling numbers, would you agree?

So Flacco is "very mediocre" with career td/int ratio of 50/31 respectively, right? What would you call Alex Smith"s career td/int ratio of 46/52 respectively?
I'm not talking about Alex. This conversation is about Troy and now Flacco. By any standard, Flacco's numbers put him in the middle of starting QBs in the league. If he did not play on a team with such a great defense he would not have near the record of wins and losses. He isn't asked to carry the team. He is a good game manager with very average passing numbers.
Originally posted by gage:
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by teeohh:
I want him to work out in the worst way
Originally posted by BleedRandG:
Originally posted by redrathman:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by DesiDez:
Originally posted by binary2nd:
Ozzie Newsome cut Troy Smith..

Probably so Troy could get an opportunity somewhere else.

Actually had demanded a trade to the browns.

Don't be surprised if he signs with the Browns this off season. Dude loves Ohio

Now i am hoping Colt McCoy becomes the brown's future so we can keep Troy!

Exactly, Colt is playing his way into that job. If he keeps it up he should stay, providing we don't trade for Kolb or someone like that.
Originally posted by HaiGuise:
Troy has a deep voice, and that is imperative to winning tough games. If you have a squeaky voice like Alex, you're never gonna have success in the NFL.

I hope you're being sarcastic. Otherwise, LOL.
Originally posted by GorefullBore:
Originally posted by BleedRandG:
Originally posted by redrathman:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by binary2nd:
Ozzie Newsome cut Troy Smith..

Probably so Troy could get an opportunity somewhere else.

Actually had demanded a trade to the browns.

Don't be surprised if he signs with the Browns this off season. Dude loves Ohio

Now i am hoping Colt McCoy becomes the brown's future so we can keep Troy!

Exactly, Colt is playing his way into that job. If he keeps it up he should stay, providing we don't trade for Kolb or someone like that.

McCoy will remain the starter. He is showing to much and playing to well for him to not be the starter.
Originally posted by craigyboy:
Originally posted by jonr422000:
Remember our receivers made so great catches, and lady luck was on our side on a couple of passes Walkers TD Catch for 1

these are the same wr's that alex had but the main differnce is that 1. he doesn't turbo-checkdown and takes the downfiled shots and 2. puts the ball where the receiver can get it.

he still has a lot to prove - namely consistency. but nate had his shot in exhibition and failed. maybe later if he continues to grow but for right now i think we're better off bankin on troy.
I agree with your main point but disagree on play design. The actual plays being called now a very different than when Jimmy Raye was running the offense. Rare rarely used 3 receiver sets and rarely ran anybody deep. Now Johnson is using multiple receivers often and using one deep to try to clear space for underneath routes or to get open deep. Raye hardly ever even attempted that and when he did, it was only a single receiver. As the receivers become more adjusted to the nuances of the Johnson stuff, I expect the offense to get even better with a continuation of the deep balls that having been working so well.

Even running plays are very different. For example, look at the first two plays in OT Sunday. The 49ers had become known for running behind Iupati and teams began to just follow him to get to Frank. So the first play, Johnson had Iupati pull to the right and tossed it wide to Gore who picked up a big gain - the misdirection had the Rams totally fooled. The very next play, Johnson crossed them up again by pulling Iupati to the left and tossed left as well. The OLB for the Rams hesitated on the pulling action and Gore picked up 6 or 7 yards on that play. Not only were those plays not in Raye's playbook but he NEVER seemed to sequence plays like that built on on another.

Yes, Johnson is light years ahead of Raye. It's fun to watch the offense again. I find myself looking forward to what new play designs and formations are coming every week.

It's fun to watch football again.

LB
Great response. I agree completely.
Of course Newsome will say something good about the guy. He drafted him.

OTOH, if Smith was such a great leader, why didn't regain his job from a very mediocre Joe Flacco?

I fear we are all building up great hope for a guy who has performed well against two weak teams. Let's hang back a bit until we see how he fares against the Bucs, GB and the Chargers. If we are still singing his praises after those three games, then we can indeed have high hopes for 2011.

Probably because Flacco was a 1st round pick. Maybe the Patriots should have gone back to Bledsoe even though Brady was winning games.

I'd rather put my hopes in someone who's done the best he could with little opportunity (Troy) than someone who's failed after multiple ones (Alex)
He was still better than Alex Smith. If Flacco is so mediocre then Alex Smith must be below poor. Flacco is a quality player at the qb position, not a superstar but a quality player, whereas Alex Smith is not. I agree with other posters Flacco got the job because of money politics and because he is a good player. I don't think Troy got cut for bad performance. Heck, Kurt Warner would never had a chance to start if Trent Green were healthy and clearly Warner was a better player than Green. Troy Smith is the best qb we have had since Jeff Garcia.
Originally posted by rob28:
According to Jim Tressel....

Quote:
Tressel said being that he has never coached in the NFL, he didn't really know if Smith had what it took to be a starter in the pros. So he asked someone who did know.

"It's tough for me to project what they need at that level because I've never coached it, obviously never played it, so I really don't know much about that level of football," Tressel said. "When Troy had spent two years at Baltimore, I had a chance to spend some time with (general manager) Ozzie Newsome. He said to me, he said without question Troy was the finest natural leader that maybe he'd ever seen and that there was no doubt in his mind he was going to be a starter in the NFL.

"Troy, I guess he had a heck of a game," Tressel said. "I got a text from his quarterback coach saying, 'hey, he did a tremendous job and has done a great job leading.'"
Of course Newsome will say something good about the guy. He drafted him.

I fear we are all building up great hope for a guy who has performed well against two weak teams. Let's hang back a bit until we see how he fares against the Bucs, GB and the Chargers. If we are still singing his praises after those three games, then we can indeed have high hopes for 2011.

i stopped at "mediocre joe flacco" a mediocre rookie qb from delaware who led the ravens to the afc championship game. you fail.
Go back and read my definition of mediocre, or did you "fail" to read that?

Flacco did not LEAD the Ravens. The defense kicked everybody's behind and he had a great running game. THAT was what led the Ravens. He threw for 14 TDs and 12 INTs and had a QB rating of 80.3.

In the playoff game against the Titans he had two chances to take his team down the field to win and he failed both times, IIRC.
Originally posted by Archie:
Troy Smith is the best qb we have had since Jeff Garcia.

Way to early for a statement like this.

Troy keeps this up and wins the division then maybe.
Originally posted by HaiGuise:

You are soo right !! lol
Originally posted by fanmusclecars:

That's not a very high bar.
  • dj43
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

ankle high
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

ankle high

Sad but true.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home