LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 287 users in the forums

Ozzie Newsome on Troy Smith

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by verb1der:
You guys want to read Ravens fans reactions to Troy Smith at this current moment go here

http://www.ravens24x7.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60770

We could have a very similar thread to this when Alex Smith plays for another team next season. lol

Its funny, its just like this board. You have people who say, "The coaches know a lot more then us, therefore it was the right decision." And the people who say, "He was obviously a play-maker, and had that "it" factor."

Most of them seem to agree that a team with two quarterbacks that split a locker room is not good for a team.
  • obx49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:
Originally posted by dj43:

OTOH, if Smith was such a great leader, why didn't regain his job from a very mediocre Joe Flacco?

Emphasis mine.

Come on dj43, Flacco came out of the gates like a house on fire. You clearly know your football, so that remark comes accross as a bit disingenous.

I've kept my nose clear of the QB war, but you're in danger of being lumped into the susweel/fly15 camp, in my mind.

You're better than that.
Thank you for the remark on my "knowledge."

eh, perhaps I should have just left out the word "very."

His career QB rating is 85%.

Current season to date it 90% which puts him at #16, right in the middle of the 32 teams.

Career TD = 50, INTs = 31. IMO, he should have less than half picks to TDs.

Both of those categories are consistent with last year and this. That makes him "average" or "mediocre," IMO.

Considering he plays on a team with arguably one of the top 3 defenses in the league, those are not sparkling numbers, would you agree?

So Flacco is "very mediocre" with career td/int ratio of 50/31 respectively, right? What would you call Alex Smith"s career td/int ratio of 46/52 respectively?
  • Antix
  • Veteran
6 games.

He has to perform for 6 games consistently before I have any shred of hope in him. He has to play well against a tough team on the road before I have any hope in him (Green Bay).

Until then he's just another flash in the pan Niner QB circa 2002-2010. Too many QBs have gotten my hopes up, i won't let it happen again. I don't care what any "experts" have to say.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by verb1der:
You guys want to read Ravens fans reactions to Troy Smith at this current moment go here

http://www.ravens24x7.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60770

We could have a very similar thread to this when Alex Smith plays for another team next season. lol

Its funny, its just like this board. You have people who say, "The coaches know a lot more then us, therefore it was the right decision." And the people who say, "He was obviously a play-maker, and had that "it" factor."

Most of them seem to agree that a team with two quarterbacks that split a locker room is not good for a team.

Yup, and what I read was that it didn't help that Troy won over a lot of players in the locker room so it could have potentially created a division at times when Flacco plays bad...
Originally posted by Antix:
6 games.

He has to perform for 6 games consistently before I have any shred of hope in him. He has to play well against a tough team on the road before I have any hope in him (Green Bay).

Until then he's just another flash in the pan Niner QB circa 2002-2010. Too many QBs have gotten my hopes up, i won't let it happen again. I don't care what any "experts" have to say.

I'm the same way, but I gotta admit, i'm pretty excited. Also excited that A.Smith is finally out of the picture. That was a big one for me.
Originally posted by redrathman:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by DesiDez:
Originally posted by binary2nd:
Ozzie Newsome cut Troy Smith..

Probably so Troy could get an opportunity somewhere else.

Actually had demanded a trade to the browns.

Don't be surprised if he signs with the Browns this off season. Dude loves Ohio

Now i am hoping Colt McCoy becomes the brown's future so we can keep Troy!
On NFL Network today, Billick said, when he drafted Troy Smith, he did not show very good accuracy during the practices and games that he played in. However, Billick then said that it looks as though that T. Smith worked on it and solved that problem.

I'm sure someone could find the clip of it from NFL Network today.

Also, on one of the home page links it states that T. Smith is averaging 12.7 yds per pass for the niners, which hasn't been done since S. Young in 1997.

It's early, but he does look good and doesn't turn the ball over which I think is huge. It just drives me nuts when a QB is rolling out of the pocket and fumbles the ball to the other team.
Originally posted by DertyDonahue:
Originally posted by Tman:
Originally posted by FILTHpigskin:
Originally posted by 49ersNoKaOi:
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
Originally posted by gage:
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by teeohh:
I want him to work out in the worst way
Originally posted by horsecore:
Originally posted by DertyDonahue:
Originally posted by Tman:
Originally posted by FILTHpigskin:
Originally posted by 49ersNoKaOi:
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
Originally posted by gage:
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by teeohh:
I want him to work out in the worst way
I'd remain nervous jeepzilla. Troy has fumbled the ball twice, once in each game. He was fortunate that neither resulted in a recovery by the other team. If Billick was concerned about his accuracy during the time he was there, I would also remmin nervous that opponents will continue to pressure him to throw before he wants to to see if that inaccuracy trait returns.

Originally posted by BleedRandG:
Originally posted by redrathman:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by DesiDez:
Originally posted by binary2nd:
Ozzie Newsome cut Troy Smith..

Probably so Troy could get an opportunity somewhere else.

Actually had demanded a trade to the browns.

Don't be surprised if he signs with the Browns this off season. Dude loves Ohio

Now i am hoping Colt McCoy becomes the brown's future so we can keep Troy!

well this is getting way ahead but IF Smith plays at a level where we do we want him back, I'd hope that he stays with us because it's the place where he had success. Of course I'd understand that he'd want to be the hometown hero but it's too early to talk about that scenario
Having been disappointed by previous QBs after their stellar starts, I force myself to remain cautious on Troy. As I see it, he has a number of traits that bear watching:

1. His height. With 6-5 linemen in fornt of him, it will be difficult for him to remain in the pocket and see what is happening downfield. Indeed, DC will probably coach their DL to stay in front of Troy and keep their hands up.

2. Billick criticized him for accuracy. While he may have worked on this, many eventually regress to their normal default modes.

3. Ball security is a concern. Two fumbles in two games is a disturbing sign. It hasn't cost him yet, but it might in the future.

4. He has excelled with his deep passes so far. But there is a reason that good QBs develop the ability to get consistent results from the short and intermediate passes. The reason is that deep passes usually have lower completion percentages. If he remains successful then he will have broken through time-tested conventions.

5. Sacks. 5 sacks in last week's game is not good. Likely due to our dissapointing OL, this can remain a problem with Staley out, and Rachel and Davis in. Sacks are usually not good, and can result in fumbles and injury.

6. Finally, he has played against DEN (3-6) and STL (4-5). He has not had to play against stronger teams like NO (6-3), KC (5-4), ATL (7-2), and PHIL (6-3). He also will not have to face this year teams like NYJ (7-2), NE (7-2), IND (6-3), BALT (6-3) and PITT (6-3). Other than GB (6-3) and TB (6-3) he will not have to face really strong opponents this year. This makes is harder to judge whether he is capable of carrying you above an average record, or how far he can take you through the playoffs.

With little to go on, the 49ers will be forced to make some big decisions about him at the end of the season. If he does well, there may well be competition for his services.
The 49ers acquired another guy a while back from a team that wasn't performing very well. I believe his name was Steve Young. I'm not saying that Troy Smith will turn out to be a Steve Young caliber player but IMHO the situations are pretty similar(minus the fact that Steve Young was traded and that Troy Smith played decent in Baltimore) either way we acquired a QB from another team who is now performing at a high level for us. Thank You Baltimore
Guys come on. Troy Smith isn't doing anything that Nate Davis wouldn't do. In fact Nate should be the 1 playing right now, we could find out what he's made of. Singletary cut Nate so Alex wouldn't have to look over his back. Nate has played well during the pre-season and showed promise. Troy is playing well I'll give him that but he is being compared to Alex Smith.
Remember our receivers made so great catches, and lady luck was on our side on a couple of passes Walkers TD Catch for 1
Share 49ersWebzone