There are 261 users in the forums

Ozzie Newsome on Troy Smith

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by gage:
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by teeohh:
I want him to work out in the worst way

this
You guys want to read Ravens fans reactions to Troy Smith at this current moment go here

http://www.ravens24x7.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60770

We could have a very similar thread to this when Alex Smith plays for another team next season. lol
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by DesiDez:
According to Jim Tressel....

Quote:
Tressel said being that he has never coached in the NFL, he didn't really know if Smith had what it took to be a starter in the pros. So he asked someone who did know.

"It's tough for me to project what they need at that level because I've never coached it, obviously never played it, so I really don't know much about that level of football," Tressel said. "When Troy had spent two years at Baltimore, I had a chance to spend some time with (general manager) Ozzie Newsome. He said to me, he said without question Troy was the finest natural leader that maybe he'd ever seen and that there was no doubt in his mind he was going to be a starter in the NFL.

"Troy, I guess he had a heck of a game," Tressel said. "I got a text from his quarterback coach saying, 'hey, he did a tremendous job and has done a great job leading.'"
Of course Newsome will say something good about the guy. He drafted him.

OTOH, if Smith was such a great leader, why didn't regain his job from a very mediocre Joe Flacco?

I fear we are all building up great hope for a guy who has performed well against two weak teams. Let's hang back a bit until we see how he fares against the Bucs, GB and the Chargers. If we are still singing his praises after those three games, then we can indeed have high hopes for 2011.

Well Flacco was drafted to be their future franchise QB... and since Flacco showed that he was decent right off the bat, why not just stick with him? I could understand if Flacco looked like Alex Smith during his rookie year, I'm sure they would have been more than happy to have him learn from the sidelines so they could have a chance at winning games, but Flacco held his own.

[ Edited by silkyjohnson on Nov 17, 2010 at 13:17:29 ]
  • Tman
  • Veteran
Originally posted by FILTHpigskin:
Originally posted by 49ersNoKaOi:
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
Originally posted by Tman:
Originally posted by FILTHpigskin:
Originally posted by 49ersNoKaOi:
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:

how ironic would it be if Troy Smith ended up being the answer at QB after all these years of paying 50 mil to Alex Smith, scrapping out wins with the career backup Shaun Hill, and the JTO experiment...

we spend tens of millions of dollars searching for the answer to Jeff Garcia's replacement, and the dude we add to be the emergency QB after getting cut from his team after the preseason ends up being the guy.

as long as someone steps up and can do the job, i dont care honestly. ive backed Alex Smith for years due to his lack of real chances to succeed, but at this point even im ready to move on. for whatever reason it just doesnt work for Alex, but it does seem to work for Troy. go figure.

i hope Alex can go some place where he will get a better shot and maybe a fresh start.
Originally posted by leolion:
TSmith makes it scary, yet fun to watch a 9ers game again. For the time being, that is enough.

Fixed.

I keep feeling like he is about to throw a pick 6.
  • rob28
  • Veteran

Quote:
Tressel said being that he has never coached in the NFL, he didn't really know if Smith had what it took to be a starter in the pros. So he asked someone who did know.

"It's tough for me to project what they need at that level because I've never coached it, obviously never played it, so I really don't know much about that level of football," Tressel said. "When Troy had spent two years at Baltimore, I had a chance to spend some time with (general manager) Ozzie Newsome. He said to me, he said without question Troy was the finest natural leader that maybe he'd ever seen and that there was no doubt in his mind he was going to be a starter in the NFL.

"Troy, I guess he had a heck of a game," Tressel said. "I got a text from his quarterback coach saying, 'hey, he did a tremendous job and has done a great job leading.'"

OTOH, if Smith was such a great leader, why didn't regain his job from a very mediocre Joe Flacco?

I fear we are all building up great hope for a guy who has performed well against two weak teams. Let's hang back a bit until we see how he fares against the Bucs, GB and the Chargers. If we are still singing his praises after those three games, then we can indeed have high hopes for 2011.

i stopped at "mediocre joe flacco" a mediocre rookie qb from delaware who led the ravens to the afc championship game. you fail.
Originally posted by susweel:

Yes it would be nice if he could be a long term answer. Only thing thats gonna hurt him is being so short, but so far so good.

that hasent stoped mike vick or drew brees. if hes got game, hes got game.

this

Originally posted by rage49:

Quote:

For the same reason Sing decided to go with AS instead of Nate Davis.
eh, there was a lot more to the Nate Davis situation than Troy in Balti. Davis had clearly shown he was not prepared to play in this league yet. Now that is not to say that he may not be ready at some point in the future. Point is; he had no idea coming out of Ball State how huge the leap was to play in the NFL.

I don't know if I buy this.

In Nate Davis's first year, coaches openly said that they made the playbook simple for him. During this time, he played incredible in the preseason.

This season, instead of suggesting anything about making things simple for him, rather, they suggested the opposite.
"He hasn't learned as much of the playbook as I would have liked."
"He needs to understand its different at this level."
"We'll give him a look, and see how he is able to handle it."

After Nate Davis looked confused this preseason, Singletary said, paraphrasing:
"He didn't look prepared to me."
"I would feel better if he had set some goals with the playbook last off season."

This last preseason, they threw Nate Davis out there with most of the playbook, with its "brilliant" shifts, formations etc (and we all know those things were the secret to Jimmy Raye's success), making it hard on him, almost to prove a point. They proved that, when given a complicated playbook, you had better know it very well, if you want to be effective. Instead of adapting to Nate Davis, they chose instead to make him look foolish by giving him a difficult playbook which they knew he had no mastery of. I think it's clear that they are not WILLING to simplify the playbook for Nate Davis.

With Troy Smith, on the other hand, the coaches have openly said that they have simplified the playbook for him, just like they did for Nate Davis his first year. "Coincidentally," the less grasp of the playbook our player's have the better they seem to play.

Personally, I think the play book is greatly overrated, and we should adapt it to our players, rather than forcing them to master a playbook that has proven to give us nothing in return.

Who knows? Maybe Joe Flacco had a much better grasp of the playbook over in Baltimore? And the Baltimore coaches thought his playbook mastery would make a big difference to their team.

[ Edited by BrianGO on Nov 17, 2010 at 15:35:56 ]
  • BobS
  • Veteran

Even though it is only two games he has surpassed anyone in our recent history since Garcia. I don't see any reason to believe he won't succeed. Even as defensive coordinators get more film on him he has the pocket awareness and quick thinking to deal with anything they can throw at him.
Originally posted by verb1der:
You guys want to read Ravens fans reactions to Troy Smith at this current moment go here

http://www.ravens24x7.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60770

We could have a very similar thread to this when Alex Smith plays for another team next season. lol

Yeah Baby! Disagree about Alex tho.
  • dj43
Originally posted by rob28:

Quote:

i stopped at "mediocre joe flacco" a mediocre rookie qb from delaware who led the ravens to the afc championship game. you fail.
Go back and read my definition of mediocre, or did you "fail" to read that?

Flacco did not LEAD the Ravens. The defense kicked everybody's behind and he had a great running game. THAT was what led the Ravens. He threw for 14 TDs and 12 INTs and had a QB rating of 80.3.

In the playoff game against the Titans he had two chances to take his team down the field to win and he failed both times, IIRC.
Originally posted by Multibomber:
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Originally posted by ninerlifer:

Quote:

all of this.

You do know that by the time Troy got well from his tonsillitis, Flacco was named the definitive "franchise" guy, right? (This isn't a Kolb situation, Flacco was a 17th overall pick in 2008, and was worth a heck of a lot more contractual money than Troy.)

It's not like Troy was in a QB competition with 'Colt McCoy' over in Baltimore. Flacco was always going to start; it was inevitable, even if Troy shined bright before Flacco was 'eased' into the starting role, Troy would have probably been traded!

So yeah, it's pretty hard for a 4th rounder to get a starting job back when you have a franchise first rounder (from Delaware) in front of you.

This is absolutely true. Look at the Vick situation in Philly. If Vick wasn't literally putting up the best stats in the NFL right now, Philly would let him go cuz they were grooming Kolb to be the starter. When teams have a set plan at QB, they tend not to deviate from it no matter who else shows up. Troy was always gonna get let go from Baltimore. Lucky for us we got him, and he's already starting to shine.

This upcoming game against the Bucs will tell us a lot. The Bucs aren't great, but they're good. Alex Smith couldn't beat good teams. If Troy pulls off this game, he's the real deal!

I'm seeing comments like this from a lot of 49ers fans and it's just so stupid to me. First off what if Troy puts up decent, good, or even great numbers and the team loses, then what? I mean we started off 1-6 people...1-6. However folks are like Troy has to go undefeated the rest of the way not only for the team to make the playoffs but that proves that he deserves to be the 49ers starting QB. I'll be shocked if this team makes the playoffs, can't have a start like we had and expect to be rewarded at the end. As for Troy I think he can go 7-2 or 6-3 as a starter which will be a great accomplishment to me and anybody else that actually understands football. I'm not going to punish Troy for our pitiful start and he can't create a miracle. The guy is like any other QB. He's going to have an off game here or there and he is going to make mistakes. That doesn't mean he isn't capable.

In fact what I want to see is how he bounces back from some adversity. The good ones bounce back quickly. The not so good ones can't do that. We have seen for 6 seasons what that is like.
Share 49ersWebzone