There are 142 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Ozzie Newsome on Troy Smith

Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:
Originally posted by dj43:


OTOH, if Smith was such a great leader, why didn't regain his job from a very mediocre Joe Flacco?

Emphasis mine.

Come on dj43, Flacco came out of the gates like a house on fire. You clearly know your football, so that remark comes accross as a bit disingenous.

I've kept my nose clear of the QB war, but you're in danger of being lumped into the susweel/fly15 camp, in my mind.

You're better than that.
Thank you for the remark on my "knowledge."

eh, perhaps I should have just left out the word "very."

His career QB rating is 85%.

Current season to date it 90% which puts him right in the middle of the 32 teams.

Career TD = 50, INTs = 31. IMO, he should have less than half picks to TDs.

Both of those categories are consistent with last year and this. That makes him "average" or "mediocre," IMO.

Considering he plays on a team with arguably one of the top 3 defenses in the league, those are not sparkling numbers, would you agree?

He's still better than Alex. Also, when a rookie plays the way he did, that is considered far above average and teams start dreaming of the future and a QB like Troy Smith would never get a second look.

Comparing Flacco to Alex THIS year is valid but Troy Smith doesn't start if Alex doesn't get hurt. Remember, Alex didn't lose his job. Even Singletary said last week if Alex was healthy, he would start.

The only thing is that Troy Smith is also showing that he is ready for the NFL and producing much better than Alex and his production beat out Alex this week as did Flacco's production his rookie year.

Who said anything about Alex Smith??

You seem to have an unhealthy obsession with that guy.
Originally posted by 49ersNoKaOi:
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
Originally posted by gage:
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by teeohh:
I want him to work out in the worst way
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by DesiDez:
According to Jim Tressel....

Quote:
Tressel said being that he has never coached in the NFL, he didn't really know if Smith had what it took to be a starter in the pros. So he asked someone who did know.

"It's tough for me to project what they need at that level because I've never coached it, obviously never played it, so I really don't know much about that level of football," Tressel said. "When Troy had spent two years at Baltimore, I had a chance to spend some time with (general manager) Ozzie Newsome. He said to me, he said without question Troy was the finest natural leader that maybe he'd ever seen and that there was no doubt in his mind he was going to be a starter in the NFL.

"Troy, I guess he had a heck of a game," Tressel said. "I got a text from his quarterback coach saying, 'hey, he did a tremendous job and has done a great job leading.'"
Of course Newsome will say something good about the guy. He drafted him.

OTOH, if Smith was such a great leader, why didn't regain his job from a very mediocre Joe Flacco?

For the same reason Sing decided to go with AS instead of Nate Davis.
Originally posted by rage49:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by DesiDez:
According to Jim Tressel....

Quote:
Tressel said being that he has never coached in the NFL, he didn't really know if Smith had what it took to be a starter in the pros. So he asked someone who did know.

"It's tough for me to project what they need at that level because I've never coached it, obviously never played it, so I really don't know much about that level of football," Tressel said. "When Troy had spent two years at Baltimore, I had a chance to spend some time with (general manager) Ozzie Newsome. He said to me, he said without question Troy was the finest natural leader that maybe he'd ever seen and that there was no doubt in his mind he was going to be a starter in the NFL.

"Troy, I guess he had a heck of a game," Tressel said. "I got a text from his quarterback coach saying, 'hey, he did a tremendous job and has done a great job leading.'"
Of course Newsome will say something good about the guy. He drafted him.

OTOH, if Smith was such a great leader, why didn't regain his job from a very mediocre Joe Flacco?

For the same reason Sing decided to go with AS instead of Nate Davis.
eh, there was a lot more to the Nate Davis situation than Troy in Balti. Davis had clearly shown he was not prepared to play in this league yet. Now that is not to say that he may not be ready at some point in the future. Point is; he had no idea coming out of Ball State how huge the leap was to play in the NFL.
Originally posted by binary2nd:
Ozzie Newsome cut Troy Smith..

Troy's leadership/rep (from other teammates) in that locker-room was a problem because everytime Flacco looked like s**t, the entire locker room became divided between Troy Smith and Joe Flacco. (It was a huge elephant in the locker room, and it was published at one point.)

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2008/10/22/terrell-suggs-was-for-troy-smith-before-he-was-strike-against-h/

Smith wasn't cut because he underperformed, Troy was 'released' because Baltimore didn't want the drama (the same way Sing/McCloughan traded Shaun Hill so that Alex had no competition/full 'confidence'), and stuck with a 'vet' backup in Bulger (like we did with Carr).
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Originally posted by binary2nd:
Ozzie Newsome cut Troy Smith..

Troy's leadership/rep (from other teammates) in that locker-room was a problem because everytime Flacco looked like s**t, the entire locker room became divided between Troy Smith and Joe Flacco. (It was a huge elephant in the locker room, and it was published at one point.)

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2008/10/22/terrell-suggs-was-for-troy-smith-before-he-was-strike-against-h/

Smith wasn't cut because he underperformed, Troy was 'released' because Baltimore didn't want the drama (the same way Sing/McCloughan traded Shaun Hill so that Alex had no competition/full 'confidence'), and stuck with a 'vet' backup in Bulger (like we did with Carr).
from the end of that piece...of all the quarterbacks the Ravens have had since relocating from Ohio 12 years ago, he's (Flacco) certainly got the most upside.

That is my point. Ozzie judged Flacco to be the best choice for the future and released Smith despite whatever leadership he showed...at least that is what the author of this article implied.
Troy was drafted by Billick and Flacco by Harbaugh--right?

Troy's situation in Baltimore seems partly the "money politics" of the NFL (1st round pick vs. 5th round pick), and partly the realities of a change in coaching staff (new coaches almost always want to bring in their own QB), and partly because he does not fit the prototype of an NFL QB (whereas Flacco does) and partly the fact that he got very sick during Flacco's rookie year and never really had the chance to showcase himself as a starter there.

So Troy is still an unknown and unproven commodity, partly because of the "realities" of the NFL and partly because of bad luck and maybe some bad timing as well.

That doesn't really mean anything one way or the other as to whether or not he's a long-term answer at QB, but the way it adds up it doesn't give me much pause for concern. There is nothing in his "Baltimore days," even his release, that really makes me think he CAN'T be the long-term answer, so its really just a matter of him proving it on the field.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Originally posted by binary2nd:
Ozzie Newsome cut Troy Smith..

Troy's leadership/rep (from other teammates) in that locker-room was a problem because everytime Flacco looked like s**t, the entire locker room became divided between Troy Smith and Joe Flacco. (It was a huge elephant in the locker room, and it was published at one point.)

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2008/10/22/terrell-suggs-was-for-troy-smith-before-he-was-strike-against-h/

Smith wasn't cut because he underperformed, Troy was 'released' because Baltimore didn't want the drama (the same way Sing/McCloughan traded Shaun Hill so that Alex had no competition/full 'confidence'), and stuck with a 'vet' backup in Bulger (like we did with Carr).

IDK, I think that's reading into it a little bit. If Troy had started and excelled during Flacco's rookie year, and led the Ravens to the playoffs, then maybe I can see a "dramatic situation" developing. As it was, he was sick and Flacco, whom they had just invested a bunch of money in, did nothing to disprove his status as a "franchise QB" (at least potentially). So I don't think Troy was a threat to his job in the minds of the coaches OR the fans. And lets not forget that the Ravens did re-sign Troy last year; so its not like they didn't think he had a place on the team. Ultimately, I think it came down to a numbers game, and they wanted the extra roster spot for someone who could possibly suit up on Sundays (especially given their injury problems early in the season), and were more comfortable, if only carrying 2 QB's, in having a more proven veteran QB to backup Flacco, and someone whose skill-set fit their offense better.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Originally posted by binary2nd:
Ozzie Newsome cut Troy Smith..

Troy's leadership/rep (from other teammates) in that locker-room was a problem because everytime Flacco looked like s**t, the entire locker room became divided between Troy Smith and Joe Flacco. (It was a huge elephant in the locker room, and it was published at one point.)

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2008/10/22/terrell-suggs-was-for-troy-smith-before-he-was-strike-against-h/

Smith wasn't cut because he underperformed, Troy was 'released' because Baltimore didn't want the drama (the same way Sing/McCloughan traded Shaun Hill so that Alex had no competition/full 'confidence'), and stuck with a 'vet' backup in Bulger (like we did with Carr).

good point. it was a gamble to keep flacco. was a gamble to keep asmith. we weren't as fortunate. either way it's gotta be a tough call with 2 qb's both having different sets of potential within the same lockerroom. they say a qb controversy is a good problem to have...ask the players that when the team is in a slump. back then we went the other way when young was given the nod over joe...again a huge dice roll but fortunately paid off. looks to be the same over in gb.
Originally posted by HomerJ:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:
Originally posted by dj43:


OTOH, if Smith was such a great leader, why didn't regain his job from a very mediocre Joe Flacco?

Emphasis mine.

Come on dj43, Flacco came out of the gates like a house on fire. You clearly know your football, so that remark comes accross as a bit disingenous.

I've kept my nose clear of the QB war, but you're in danger of being lumped into the susweel/fly15 camp, in my mind.

You're better than that.
Thank you for the remark on my "knowledge."

eh, perhaps I should have just left out the word "very."

His career QB rating is 85%.

Current season to date it 90% which puts him right in the middle of the 32 teams.

Career TD = 50, INTs = 31. IMO, he should have less than half picks to TDs.

Both of those categories are consistent with last year and this. That makes him "average" or "mediocre," IMO.

Considering he plays on a team with arguably one of the top 3 defenses in the league, those are not sparkling numbers, would you agree?

He's still better than Alex. Also, when a rookie plays the way he did, that is considered far above average and teams start dreaming of the future and a QB like Troy Smith would never get a second look.

Comparing Flacco to Alex THIS year is valid but Troy Smith doesn't start if Alex doesn't get hurt. Remember, Alex didn't lose his job. Even Singletary said last week if Alex was healthy, he would start.

The only thing is that Troy Smith is also showing that he is ready for the NFL and producing much better than Alex and his production beat out Alex this week as did Flacco's production his rookie year.

Who said anything about Alex Smith??

You seem to have an unhealthy obsession with that guy.

He couldn't regain his job from Flacco. He took the job here because Alex is not as good as Flacco.
Careful susweel. I noticed that you suggested that there was a strong possiblility that Troy would sign a contract for next year with another team. This was my thought as well. But when I expressed them, a poster accused me of being a snotty un-fan and that I should leave the board.
Ozzie loved him So Much that the just let him go. Stop with the money politics that does not stand up. He could have been a back up in Baltimore.

The guy has a done a great job so far, and is willing to take chances, but he has had some good fortune on his side, with pics and penalties.

I believe that he is the solution for this year and into the near future as the team drafts a franchise QB,
  • KRS-1
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 27,080
Originally posted by mike49ersgo:
Ozzie loved him So Much that the just let him go. Stop with the money politics that does not stand up. He could have been a back up in Baltimore.

You are right...it's possible it's more of the numbers politics considering they decided to keep only 2 QB's on the 53 after the roster cuts and the backup, was a long time veteran QB named Marc Bulger. Could be they wanted a vet for Flacco to lean on and learn from.
Let us be clear: Ozzie Newsome drafted Troy Smith. He watched Smith all of '07. In fact he played the last two regular season games of the year. Then Newsome drafted Flacco 17th in the first round of '08 - not exactly a sign that Newsome thought Troy was going to be their man, after having watched Troy for a year.

I also do not buy the notion that Troy was cut this year so that he could go start somewhere else. Teams act in their own best interest. If they really thought he had above average talent, they would have kept him as their 3rd stringer. Bulger doesn't have much left. Who will the Ravens go to if Flacco goes down, and Bulger can't answer the call? Last I checked, they have nobody else.
  • KRS-1
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 27,080
Originally posted by excelsior:
Let us be clear: Ozzie Newsome drafted Troy Smith. He watched Smith all of '07. In fact he played the last two regular season games of the year. Then Newsome drafted Flacco 17th in the first round of '08 - not exactly a sign that Newsome thought Troy was going to be their man, after having watched Troy for a year.

When your QB situation is weak and you have the chance to get a QB with 1st round potential you don't pass on a possible franchise QB. He only had 2 games and some preseason tape to really judge Smith off of, the rest of what he saw were limited practice reps and scout team reps.

Once Flacco was drafted Troy was given the opportunity to start and he came down with tonsillitis and Flacco took and ran with the job.