Not a member? Register Now!

Ozzie Newsome on Troy Smith

Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
Originally posted by gage:
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by teeohh:
I want him to work out in the worst way
Maybe not the real deal, MultiBomer, but a step closer. certainly.
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by DesiDez:
According to Jim Tressel....

Quote:
Tressel said being that he has never coached in the NFL, he didn't really know if Smith had what it took to be a starter in the pros. So he asked someone who did know.

"It's tough for me to project what they need at that level because I've never coached it, obviously never played it, so I really don't know much about that level of football," Tressel said. "When Troy had spent two years at Baltimore, I had a chance to spend some time with (general manager) Ozzie Newsome. He said to me, he said without question Troy was the finest natural leader that maybe he'd ever seen and that there was no doubt in his mind he was going to be a starter in the NFL.

"Troy, I guess he had a heck of a game," Tressel said. "I got a text from his quarterback coach saying, 'hey, he did a tremendous job and has done a great job leading.'"
Of course Newsome will say something good about the guy. He drafted him.

OTOH, if Smith was such a great leader, why didn't regain his job from a very mediocre Joe Flacco?

I fear we are all building up great hope for a guy who has performed well against two weak teams. Let's hang back a bit until we see how he fares against the Bucs, GB and the Chargers. If we are still singing his praises after those three games, then we can indeed have high hopes for 2011.

Flacco is not mediocre and has "ideal" size for a starting NFL QB. Smith falls victim to being undersized and his leadership, while greatly valued on a team such as the 49ers, was probably not valued as high in Baltimore given that the team already had established leaders in Ray Lewis and Ed Reed. Dunno why Smith was cut but who cares? Drew Brees, another undersized QB, was essentially cut by San Diego after 3 years and replaced by Rivers, another "ideal" sized QB. Brees has turned into one of the game's best. I hope Smith follows a similar track.
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:

OTOH, if Smith was such a great leader, why didn't regain his job from a very mediocre Joe Flacco?

Emphasis mine.

Come on dj43, Flacco came out of the gates like a house on fire. You clearly know your football, so that remark comes accross as a bit disingenous.

I've kept my nose clear of the QB war, but you're in danger of being lumped into the susweel/fly15 camp, in my mind.

You're better than that.
Thank you for the remark on my "knowledge."

eh, perhaps I should have just left out the word "very."

His career QB rating is 85%.

Current season to date it 90% which puts him at #16, right in the middle of the 32 teams.

Career TD = 50, INTs = 31. IMO, he should have less than half picks to TDs.

Both of those categories are consistent with last year and this. That makes him "average" or "mediocre," IMO.

Considering he plays on a team with arguably one of the top 3 defenses in the league, those are not sparkling numbers, would you agree?

[ Edited by dj43 on Nov 17, 2010 at 11:32:15 ]
Originally posted by midrdan:
Originally posted by DesiDez:
According to Jim Tressel....

Quote:
Tressel said being that he has never coached in the NFL, he didn't really know if Smith had what it took to be a starter in the pros. So he asked someone who did know.

"It's tough for me to project what they need at that level because I've never coached it, obviously never played it, so I really don't know much about that level of football," Tressel said. "When Troy had spent two years at Baltimore, I had a chance to spend some time with (general manager) Ozzie Newsome. He said to me, he said without question Troy was the finest natural leader that maybe he'd ever seen and that there was no doubt in his mind he was going to be a starter in the NFL.

"Troy, I guess he had a heck of a game," Tressel said. "I got a text from his quarterback coach saying, 'hey, he did a tremendous job and has done a great job leading.'"
Of course Newsome will say something good about the guy. He drafted him.

I fear we are all building up great hope for a guy who has performed well against two weak teams. Let's hang back a bit until we see how he fares against the Bucs, GB and the Chargers. If we are still singing his praises after those three games, then we can indeed have high hopes for 2011.

Flacco is not mediocre and has "ideal" size for a starting NFL QB. Smith falls victim to being undersized and his leadership, while greatly valued on a team such as the 49ers, was probably not valued as high in Baltimore given that the team already had established leaders in Ray Lewis and Ed Reed. Dunno why Smith was cut but who cares? Drew Brees, another undersized QB, was essentially cut by San Diego after 3 years and replaced by Rivers, another "ideal" sized QB. Brees has turned into one of the game's best. I hope Smith follows a similar track.

Alex, Lienart, and a whole lota other QBs had the "ideal" size and they are awful.

Oh and one of the best QBs in the league is only 6ft like Troy..Brees his size really affects him

[ Edited by ninersrule4 on Nov 17, 2010 at 11:26:47 ]

Emphasis mine.

Come on dj43, Flacco came out of the gates like a house on fire. You clearly know your football, so that remark comes accross as a bit disingenous.

I've kept my nose clear of the QB war, but you're in danger of being lumped into the susweel/fly15 camp, in my mind.

You're better than that.

Current season to date it 90% which puts him right in the middle of the 32 teams.

Both of those categories are consistent with last year and this. That makes him "average" or "mediocre," IMO.

Considering he plays on a team with arguably one of the top 3 defenses in the league, those are not sparkling numbers, would you agree?

He's still better than Alex. Also, when a rookie plays the way he did, that is considered far above average and teams start dreaming of the future and a QB like Troy Smith would never get a second look.

Comparing Flacco to Alex THIS year is valid but Troy Smith doesn't start if Alex doesn't get hurt. Remember, Alex didn't lose his job. Even Singletary said last week if Alex was healthy, he would start.

The only thing is that Troy Smith is also showing that he is ready for the NFL and producing much better than Alex and his production beat out Alex this week as did Flacco's production his rookie year.
TSmith makes it fun to watch a 9ers game again. For the time being, that is enough.
Originally posted by binary2nd:
Ozzie Newsome cut Troy Smith..

BMORE has Joe Flacco
Originally posted by Joecool:

Emphasis mine.

You're better than that.

Current season to date it 90% which puts him right in the middle of the 32 teams.

He's still better than Alex. Also, when a rookie plays the way he did, that is considered far above average and teams start dreaming of the future and a QB like Troy Smith would never get a second look.

Comparing Flacco to Alex THIS year is valid but Troy Smith doesn't start if Alex doesn't get hurt. Remember, Alex didn't lose his job. Even Singletary said last week if Alex was healthy, he would start.

The only thing is that Troy Smith is also showing that he is ready for the NFL and producing much better than Alex and his production beat out Alex this week as did Flacco's production his rookie year.
I am not suggesting a comparison between Alex and Flacco. All I am saying is that we need to scale back our expectations of Troy until we see him perform well against much better quality competition.

As to Flacco's rookie year, he had a below average season for a QB on a very sound playoff team. Acceptable for a rookie but he was being protected by his coach so as to put the very least pressure on him possible. In the final playoff game against the Titans, he was not able to deliver. QB rating of 80.3% with 14 TDs and 12 INTs. So while that is much better than Alex, he was also playing on one of the very best teams in the league with very little pressure to "save the franchise." The same cannot be said for Alex.

Emphasis mine.

You're better than that.

I am not suggesting a comparison between Alex and Flacco. All I am saying is that we need to scale back our expectations of Troy until we see him perform well against much better quality competition.

As to Flacco's rookie year, he had a below average season for a QB on a very sound playoff team. Acceptable for a rookie but he was being protected by his coach so as to put the very least pressure on him possible. In the final playoff game against the Titans, he was not able to deliver. QB rating of 80.3% with 14 TDs and 12 INTs. So while that is much better than Alex, he was also playing on one of the very best teams in the league with very little pressure to "save the franchise." The same cannot be said for Alex.

There's nothing, in terms of watching the guy play, that shows me Alex is even an average QB. This team has loads of talent on offense and I think any QB in the league can put up the stats Alex put up by playing it super safe. There is absolutely nothing that can be used to support any reasoning that Alex is a decent QB.

There's quite a few things we debated about that points directly to the QB being a huge part in the production of the talent around him, the lack of production by the talent around him or the ability to make less talent appear better.
Originally posted by leolion:
TSmith makes it fun to watch a 9ers game again.

Emphasis mine.

You're better than that.

There's nothing, in terms of watching the guy play, that shows me Alex is even an average QB. This team has loads of talent on offense and I think any QB in the league can put up the stats Alex put up by playing it super safe. There is absolutely nothing that can be used to support any reasoning that Alex is a decent QB.

There's quite a few things we debated about that points directly to the QB being a huge part in the production of the talent around him, the lack of production by the talent around him or the ability to make less talent appear better.
You are taking this someplace I never mentioned.

My comments were ALL in support of the idea that we should not yet anoint Troy as the next Jeff Garcia. I've been only pointing out the fact that Joe Flacco is only an average QB in this league and that Troy Smith was not able to dislodge him. Some have countered "draft pick" and other such comments but the fact remains, Flacco is average and Troy could not establish himself as better, hence he was released. Baltimore wins on defense and a quarterback who is not asked to win games on his own - because he doesn't have to. That's all I am saying. This is about Troy, not Alex.
At this point in time, Alex has had his chance and at 1-6, the experiment failed, time to move on. As for TS, I will wait and see. Alex did better lst year because the onus wasn't on him. This year it was and he reverted to paralysis from over analysis. That is just on of the questions about TS that must b answered. Alex does not have the talent, maybe Troy does, his down fall is the NFL's overkill on the desire for the prototypical QB.

Everyone wants to draft a franchise QB, but what is a Fanchise QB a first rounder? They are far and few in between. Of all the successful QBs, stat wise, I can't remember a single good QB the niners have drafted in the First round, all have been so to speak bust.

With TS, I will just wait and see, but he is as one poster stated at least made the game interesting to watch again, even if it is against scrub teams. The next few games will tell us all.

Emphasis mine.

You're better than that.

Current season to date it 90% which puts him at #16, right in the middle of the 32 teams.

I just have to say this just because it bugs me but has no bearing on the point you are making.

QB rating is a point system. Its not a percentage. Troy Smith currently has a QB rating of 116.6. Its not 116.6%.

Moving on.... ;-)
Originally posted by Marvin49:

Emphasis mine.

You're better than that.

I just have to say this just because it bugs me but has no bearing on the point you are making.

QB rating is a point system. Its not a percentage. Troy Smith currently has a QB rating of 116.6. Its not 116.6%.

Moving on.... ;-)
Duly noted. Don't know why I got in that habit. I do it often.