Originally posted by teeohh:
I want him to work out in the worst way
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
Originally posted by gage:
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by teeohh:
I want him to work out in the worst way
Originally posted by Nuns:
I listened to an interview with Harbough on NFL network and he was saying that he couldn't believe they had no takers for any trade for Troy. He called around and told other management that he was starting material and they couldn't get a 7th for him.

He really seemed to think highly of him, they were just tailoring their offense for a pro style QB and felt Bulger was the better fit in that offense. They didn't want to have a 2nd offense for their backup, and he felt that would necessary given Troy's strengths and weaknesses.

That's why total credit should be given to Mike Johnson. He's been the saving grace of this season after Raye "Three runs in a cloud of dust" left. He seems to know how to really see the holes in the other's team defenses.

The fact that he's been able to modify the game plans to suit Troy's abilities only speaks of his abilities at the pro level. It seems to get better every weak.

We just may have found that Diamond in the Ruff!
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by DesiDez:
Originally posted by binary2nd:
Ozzie Newsome cut Troy Smith..

Probably so Troy could get an opportunity somewhere else.

Actually had demanded a trade to the browns.

Don't be surprised if he signs with the Browns this off season. Dude loves Ohio

if he pans out here he could be looking at postseason play. thats all any qb dreams of over homerism. ask brady or even rodgers.
Originally posted by dj43:

Of course Newsome will say something good about the guy. He drafted him.

OTOH, if Smith was such a great leader, why didn't regain his job from a very mediocre Joe Flacco?

I fear we are all building up great hope for a guy who has performed well against two weak teams. Let's hang back a bit until we see how he fares against the Bucs, GB and the Chargers. If we are still singing his praises after those three games, then we can indeed have high hopes for 2011.

I wouldn't really consider Flacco "very mediocre" since the guy has a career QB rating around 90. I think he gets a ton of help from the defense, but his size and draft position automatically give him a huge edge over Troy.

I do agree that we should hang back especially for some away games and see how he does. If he picks up some wins away, and possibly comes back from GB at 6-6,, we might have something here!

Either way, he definitely makes the offense more exciting to watch!

OTOH, if Smith was such a great leader, why didn't regain his job from a very mediocre Joe Flacco?

Emphasis mine.

Come on dj43, Flacco came out of the gates like a house on fire. You clearly know your football, so that remark comes accross as a bit disingenous.

I've kept my nose clear of the QB war, but you're in danger of being lumped into the susweel/fly15 camp, in my mind.

You're better than that.
Originally posted by ninerlifer:
According to Jim Tressel....

Quote:
Tressel said being that he has never coached in the NFL, he didn't really know if Smith had what it took to be a starter in the pros. So he asked someone who did know.

"It's tough for me to project what they need at that level because I've never coached it, obviously never played it, so I really don't know much about that level of football," Tressel said. "When Troy had spent two years at Baltimore, I had a chance to spend some time with (general manager) Ozzie Newsome. He said to me, he said without question Troy was the finest natural leader that maybe he'd ever seen and that there was no doubt in his mind he was going to be a starter in the NFL.

"Troy, I guess he had a heck of a game," Tressel said. "I got a text from his quarterback coach saying, 'hey, he did a tremendous job and has done a great job leading.'"

I fear we are all building up great hope for a guy who has performed well against two weak teams. Let's hang back a bit until we see how he fares against the Bucs, GB and the Chargers. If we are still singing his praises after those three games, then we can indeed have high hopes for 2011.

all of this.

As for weak teams, I wish we were 4-4 before last week. 2-6 is weak- thanks coach Sing
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by binary2nd:
Ozzie Newsome cut Troy Smith..

Probably so Troy could get an opportunity somewhere else.

Actually had demanded a trade to the browns.

Don't be surprised if he signs with the Browns this off season. Dude loves Ohio

He wont be going anywhere if he continues to do well here. Especially since Cleveland already has their QB of the future.
  • dj43

Probably because Flacco was a 1st round pick. Maybe the Patriots should have gone back to Bledsoe even though Brady was winning games.

I'd rather put my hopes in someone who's done the best he could with little opportunity (Troy) than someone who's failed after multiple ones (Alex)
You missed my main point: don't get too excited yet. Much has changed besides the QB in the last four weeks. The biggest change isn't at QB, it is at OC.
  • dj43
I listened to an interview with Harbough on NFL network and he was saying that he couldn't believe they had no takers for any trade for Troy. He called around and told other management that he was starting material and they couldn't get a 7th for him.

He really seemed to think highly of him, they were just tailoring their offense for a pro style QB and felt Bulger was the better fit in that offense. They didn't want to have a 2nd offense for their backup, and he felt that would necessary given Troy's strengths and weaknesses.

Teams were just believing what they saw, not what they heard.

Quote:
Tressel said being that he has never coached in the NFL, he didn't really know if Smith had what it took to be a starter in the pros. So he asked someone who did know.

"It's tough for me to project what they need at that level because I've never coached it, obviously never played it, so I really don't know much about that level of football," Tressel said. "When Troy had spent two years at Baltimore, I had a chance to spend some time with (general manager) Ozzie Newsome. He said to me, he said without question Troy was the finest natural leader that maybe he'd ever seen and that there was no doubt in his mind he was going to be a starter in the NFL.

"Troy, I guess he had a heck of a game," Tressel said. "I got a text from his quarterback coach saying, 'hey, he did a tremendous job and has done a great job leading.'"

all of this.

You do know that by the time Troy got well from his tonsillitis, Flacco was named the definitive "franchise" guy, right? (This isn't a Kolb situation, Flacco was a 17th overall pick in 2008, and was worth a heck of a lot more contractual money than Troy.)

It's not like Troy was in a QB competition with 'Colt McCoy' over in Baltimore. Flacco was always going to start; it was inevitable, even if Troy shined bright before Flacco was 'eased' into the starting role, Troy would have probably been traded!

So yeah, it's pretty hard for a 5th rounder to get a starting job back when you have a franchise first rounder (from Delaware) in front of you.

[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Nov 17, 2010 at 12:07:06 ]

Teams were just believing what they saw, not what they heard.

What did they see? Black?
that's cool, and that certainly seems to fit with what we've seen so far, IMO. He's comfortable in the leadership role. But I agree 100% with dj43 (as I always seem to when it comes to football, if nothing else) that its still a wait-and-see project.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:

Quote:

all of this.

You do know that by the time Troy got well from his tonsillitis, Flacco was named the definitive "franchise" guy, right? (This isn't a Kolb situation, Flacco was a 17th overall pick in 2008, and was worth a heck of a lot more contractual money than Troy.)

It's not like Troy was in a QB competition with 'Colt McCoy' over in Baltimore. Flacco was always going to start; it was inevitable, even if Troy shined bright before Flacco was 'eased' into the starting role, Troy would have probably been traded!

So yeah, it's pretty hard for a 4th rounder to get a starting job back when you have a franchise first rounder (from Delaware) in front of you.

5th round...
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:

Quote:

all of this.

So yeah, it's pretty hard for a 4th rounder to get a starting job back when you have a franchise first rounder (from Delaware) in front of you.

This is absolutely true. Look at the Vick situation in Philly. If Vick wasn't literally putting up the best stats in the NFL right now, Philly would let him go cuz they were grooming Kolb to be the starter. When teams have a set plan at QB, they tend not to deviate from it no matter who else shows up. Troy was always gonna get let go from Baltimore. Lucky for us we got him, and he's already starting to shine.

This upcoming game against the Bucs will tell us a lot. The Bucs aren't great, but they're good. Alex Smith couldn't beat good teams. If Troy pulls off this game, he's the real deal!
Share 49ersWebzone