There are 217 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Ozzie Newsome on Troy Smith

According to Jim Tressel....

Quote:
Tressel said being that he has never coached in the NFL, he didn't really know if Smith had what it took to be a starter in the pros. So he asked someone who did know.

"It's tough for me to project what they need at that level because I've never coached it, obviously never played it, so I really don't know much about that level of football," Tressel said. "When Troy had spent two years at Baltimore, I had a chance to spend some time with (general manager) Ozzie Newsome. He said to me, he said without question Troy was the finest natural leader that maybe he'd ever seen and that there was no doubt in his mind he was going to be a starter in the NFL.

"Troy, I guess he had a heck of a game," Tressel said. "I got a text from his quarterback coach saying, 'hey, he did a tremendous job and has done a great job leading.'"
I want him to work out in the worst way
Originally posted by teeohh:
  • gage
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by DesiDez:

Quote:
Tressel said being that he has never coached in the NFL, he didn't really know if Smith had what it took to be a starter in the pros. So he asked someone who did know.

"It's tough for me to project what they need at that level because I've never coached it, obviously never played it, so I really don't know much about that level of football," Tressel said. "When Troy had spent two years at Baltimore, I had a chance to spend some time with (general manager) Ozzie Newsome. He said to me, he said without question Troy was the finest natural leader that maybe he'd ever seen and that there was no doubt in his mind he was going to be a starter in the NFL.

"Troy, I guess he had a heck of a game," Tressel said. "I got a text from his quarterback coach saying, 'hey, he did a tremendous job and has done a great job leading.'"
Of course Newsome will say something good about the guy. He drafted him.

OTOH, if Smith was such a great leader, why didn't regain his job from a very mediocre Joe Flacco?

I fear we are all building up great hope for a guy who has performed well against two weak teams. Let's hang back a bit until we see how he fares against the Bucs, GB and the Chargers. If we are still singing his praises after those three games, then we can indeed have high hopes for 2011.
Originally posted by gage:

you guys want him to be buff like Tebow?!
Ozzie Newsome cut Troy Smith..

Yes.

He's got all the Niner hallmarks, leadership, smarts, elusiveness, and a very accurate arm on the short pass--hell, any pass.

I sure hope this doesn't mean we get stuck with Chucky. Marty could really put this guy to work [edit] I think.

[ Edited by BubbaParisMVP on Nov 17, 2010 at 10:15:24 ]
Originally posted by dj43:

Quote:

OTOH, if Smith was such a great leader, why didn't regain his job from a very mediocre Joe Flacco?

I fear we are all building up great hope for a guy who has performed well against two weak teams. Let's hang back a bit until we see how he fares against the Bucs, GB and the Chargers. If we are still singing his praises after those three games, then we can indeed have high hopes for 2011.

all of this.
Originally posted by dj43:

Probably because Flacco was a 1st round pick. Maybe the Patriots should have gone back to Bledsoe even though Brady was winning games.

I'd rather put my hopes in someone who's done the best he could with little opportunity (Troy) than someone who's failed after multiple ones (Alex)

Yes it would be nice if he could be a long term answer. Only thing thats gonna hurt him is being so short, but so far so good.
Originally posted by binary2nd:

Probably so Troy could get an opportunity somewhere else.

Actually had demanded a trade to the browns.

Don't be surprised if he signs with the Browns this off season. Dude loves Ohio
I listened to an interview with Harbough on NFL network and he was saying that he couldn't believe they had no takers for any trade for Troy. He called around and told other management that he was starting material and they couldn't get a 7th for him.

He really seemed to think highly of him, they were just tailoring their offense for a pro style QB and felt Bulger was the better fit in that offense. They didn't want to have a 2nd offense for their backup, and he felt that would necessary given Troy's strengths and weaknesses.
Originally posted by susweel:

Actually had demanded a trade to the browns.

Don't be surprised if he signs with the Browns this off season. Dude loves Ohio