There are 230 users in the forums

Start Sims, Boone or Synder at LT?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Start Sims, Boone or Synder at LT?

Originally posted by rordona:
Originally posted by redrathman:
Yeah dude, I totally understand with the fact that Mike Johnson calls the O plays....however, Sing is ultimately the HEAD COACH. He has the authority to pull/bench/relieve someone (when necessary) and it was proven time and time again this past Sunday that he was not the right person facing Long. You can still run the 2 TE formation and still have those TE's running routes and have a FB/RB chipping Long, etc. Its not impossible. Sing can make those suggestions but clearly, not once did we see anyone helping Davis unless it was Gore in the backfield.

This is incorrect.

Troy Smith's touchdown to Michael Crabtree was a max protect two wide receiver route with Veron Davis helping Anthony Davis on the edge. In another broken play, Davis chipped Long and then went out for a 32 yard reception.

Well, one maybe I over-exaggerated on him not getting ANY help. But I have to correct you...Crabtree's TD was not a result of Vernon Davis helping out. Anthony Davis was locked up w/Long for that entire play.

Fast fwd to 55 secs on the clip and you can clearly see it.

http://www.49ers.com/media-gallery/videos/Game-Highlights-49ers-23---Rams-20/2105518f-9d09-44e5-b0ae-a3438ecee671

I said Vernon Davis helped out. I mere presence of Vernon Davis on the outside may have allowed Anthony Davis to focus on Long.

In any case, Davis was a presence on the line (as he has been since Johnson took over).
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Originally posted by wadjay:
I vote Anthony Davis. See what he can do at his natural position.

He woudl just get another qb injured, then david carr would be in.

IS THAT WHAT YOU WANT?

Uhyeahhhh....at that rate Carr would get KO'd too and we'd be forced to play 100% of the snaps in the Wildcat.

lol, who would be our main wildcat threat? everyone is slow except gore/VD (ginn is scared of contact, so he wouldn't work)

BTW if smith gets injured, then the alex smith era returns!

Hopefully you knew that was a joke lol. But totally agree w/you on that....Ginn is a huge disappointment. I was at the Carolina game and from mid level seats, you could def tell Ginn was scared to take a hit. I could prob count 2-3 times where he didn't go for the ball because a safety was lurking nearby.

If Troy gets hurt, Davis will get activated. Alex would start a game...if he plays terrible....then Davis is getting the start. Mark my words.
Start Sims, perhaps replace platoon the right tackle spot between Boone, AD, and maybe Snyder. Definately needs help if AD is there.

Sims might be rusty but he'll be fresh.
Sims has to play LT because Boone doggie is needs to start at RT!

Originally posted by Allx9er:

Look, i get that it's the cool thing to hate on him right now. And he certainly hasn't played great.

But I think he's a little out of position at RT. Being as young as he is, I think he might benefit greatly from a move back to the left side (where he played in college) in the short term and I think he has the athletic tools to potentially be a much better LT than Staley in the long term.

[ Edited by wadjay on Nov 17, 2010 at 15:40:05 ]
If they lose again and can't make the playoffs I would like to see what Davis looks like on the left side with Boone on the right and then move Staley back to the right side next season.
  • BenQ
  • Veteran
does singletary really have to think about this? make an announcement that sims is starting already you dumb twat! they need the reps in practice!
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
I really want to have an opinion on this one. It's so frustrating....

I just don't know what they've looked like in practice up to this point.

A lot can change in a year, so I don't know if Sims is the right guy. He did great (pretty good at least) in replacing Staley last season.

Snyder has been with the team the longest and he struggled at right tackle, but I seem to remember him playing decently at left tackle in spot duty early in his career.

Boone doesn't even seem to be an option, so I don't know what the deal is there. Why did we keep the guy if we're not going to give him a shot to prove himself?

Anthony Davis needs to stay at right tackle, I think. I'm not happy with his pass protection and I don't want him on the blind side. I will admit that it is possible he just plays better on the left side. Still, two rookies on the blind side? No.

I dunno about you guys, but I was impressed with Wragge coming in at both tackle positions and playing solid. Scared the hell out of me when he went in at left tackle for overtime.

It all comes down to who has been doing what and how well they've been doing it in practice. I just don't know....

Staley hasn't been great this season (to put it mildly), but it sucks that he got injured. I just hope whoever we put in there doesn't get Troy killed.

I'd go with Sims unless Boone has been tearing it up in practice. Snyder is a valuable back-up because of his versatility.... Yeah, I guess that sounds good.
Simms did well last year which I found to be quite surprising. I was surprised that they put Wragge in to replace Staley rather than Simms.

• Wodwo
  • Veteran
Yeah dude, I totally understand with the fact that Mike Johnson calls the O plays....however, Sing is ultimately the HEAD COACH. He has the authority to pull/bench/relieve someone (when necessary) and it was proven time and time again this past Sunday that he was not the right person facing Long. You can still run the 2 TE formation and still have those TE's running routes and have a FB/RB chipping Long, etc. Its not impossible. Sing can make those suggestions but clearly, not once did we see anyone helping Davis unless it was Gore in the backfield.

This is incorrect.

Troy Smith's touchdown to Michael Crabtree was a max protect two wide receiver route with Veron Davis helping Anthony Davis on the edge. In another broken play, Davis chipped Long and then went out for a 32 yard reception.

Well, one maybe I over-exaggerated on him not getting ANY help. But I have to correct you...Crabtree's TD was not a result of Vernon Davis helping out. Anthony Davis was locked up w/Long for that entire play.

Fast fwd to 55 secs on the clip and you can clearly see it.

http://www.49ers.com/media-gallery/videos/Game-Highlights-49ers-23---Rams-20/2105518f-9d09-44e5-b0ae-a3438ecee671

I said Vernon Davis helped out. I mere presence of Vernon Davis on the outside may have allowed Anthony Davis to focus on Long.

In any case, Davis was a presence on the line (as he has been since Johnson took over).

I don't know if giving Anthony Davis help is going to... err... help.

The play that got Alex Smith injured was a max protect. Watch Anthony Davis:

Anthony Davis Looking REALLY Bad
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BasharCali49:
Simms did well last year which I found to be quite surprising. I was surprised that they put Wragge in to replace Staley rather than Simms.

Sims wasn't active.

They keep Snyder and Wragge active because Snyder can play all tackle and guard positions and Wragge plays both guard spots and center... now apparently he plays tackle, too.
Start Sims @ LT & Synder @ RT

A Davis has been really looking bad. I hope he's hitting that rookie wall and breaks thru soon but he's reminding me a lot of Kwame Harris
until we're mathmatically out or happens to stink up the place...straight up sims.
Originally posted by Allx9er:

Look, i get that it's the cool thing to hate on him right now. And he certainly hasn't played great.

But I think he's a little out of position at RT. Being as young as he is, I think he might benefit greatly from a move back to the left side (where he played in college) in the short term and I think he has the athletic tools to potentially be a much better LT than Staley in the long term.

i dont hate the kid i just think hes playing like a rookie and an average one at that. to put him on the left side/the blind side at this point would be crazy he cant handle the right side 1 on 1 so to slide him to the other side where it is expected of the oline man to go against the D BEST passrusher 1v1 is insane. the kid may have talent but he will get the qb killed if he moves

[ Edited by Allx9er on Nov 17, 2010 at 20:43:43 ]
Share 49ersWebzone