There are 215 users in the forums

All-Time 49ers Team

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Gore is on his way to a 5th straight 1000 yard season, and is doing it on a bad team, with a bad line, that redefines "predictable"! He can run, catch, pass protect, and is a true throwback to the RBs of old.

I can tell you, though, noone that's played O-line for this team in the last 8 years is even slightly worthy of consideration.

1. Gore > All

2. Jeremy Newberry. Larry Allen.

The first point MAY be true. But it's hard to argue against the first RB with a 1000 yards rushing and 1000 yards receiving. But thinking about what Gore would be on a team with Rice and Montana, with Walsh coaching, I'd have to agree.

As for Newberry, his career with us was too short, unfortunately. Great player, but injuries really impacted his legacy. As for Allen, I don't like putting players who were here for a year, towards the very end of their career. Then you have to put Bruce, and possibly OJ. Just doesn't make sense. Deion is an exception, since he was in the prime of his career, and won a SB with us. Woodson was also not really a 49er for the most part, IMO.
QB: Steve Young, Joe Montana

HB/FB: Garrison Hearst, Roger Craig, William Floyd

WR/TE: Jerry Rice, Dwight Clark, John Taylor, T.O. Brent Jones, Vernon Davis

OL: Kevin Gogan, Jesse Sapolou, Brent Oates, Derrick Desse, Barton Harris, Guy McIntyre, Fred Quillan, Randy Cross

DL: Bryant Young, Lee Woodall, Dana Stubblefield, Bob St. Clair, Fred Dean, Justin Smith

LB: Patrick Willis, Gary Plummer, Ken Norton, Charles Haley

DB: Deion Sanders, Merton Hanks, Ronnie Lott, Tim McDonald, Dwight Hicks, Eric Davis.

K/P: Doug Brien, Klaus Wilmsmeyer.
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
QB is Montana and it isn't even close. Steve young is favorite player of all time, but without hesitation I state, as a fact, that Montana is uncomparably better.

Lott?

Lott, Montana, Rice, TO, Dieon (you might hate him, but he's one of the top CBs of all time), BY, Haley, and Willis are locks.

VD is the most likely TE, and J.Smith is a legit option as well.

People may overlook Fred Dean and Dwight Clark. Dont. Two legends that did amazing things in this league. Dean is a lock as well, the more I think about it.

RB will be the hardest position to evaluate. As of now, Craig is the only HOF worthy back on the list--but Gore is on his way to a 5th straight 1000 yard season, and is doing it on a bad team, with a bad line, that redefines "predictable"! He can run, catch, pass protect, and is a true throwback to the RBs of old. Garrison Hearst and Ricky Watters are also worthy candidates. As of now, I say Craig, but I think Gore catches up. I'm blanking on the O-line. I can tell you, though, noone that's played O-line for this team in the last 8 years is even slightly worthy of consideration.

I went back and watched the 'America's Game' specials on the 49ers super bowl seasons, and those really opened up my mind on the early niner dynasty players. most of our best seasons were between super bowls.

edit: seriously there is footage in one of the mid 80's Super Bowl documentaries that has a clip of Mike Singletary circa. 1985 talking about looking at the film after losing to the 49ers.
[ Edited by skynet907 on Dec 16, 2010 at 8:22 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone