There are 233 users in the forums

The Remainder of the 2010 Season is Pointless

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I have to eat major crow for my 2009 preseason prediction that this year, the 2010 season, would be the year the Niners returned to the playoff. It is not going to happen. At 2-6, the Niners look to split the final 8 games, and go 6-10 for the season. Some team in the division is going to hit 8-8 or better, even though it looks unlikely at times. Someone will emerge, as they always do, to hit .500. So, to pretend this team has any realistic chance of making the playoffs is silly.

So, where does that leave us? Answer: Back at ground zero again. The team will dump Singletary, and bring in a new head coach. The new head coach will undoubtably bring in a new offensive coordinator, and new offensive system. It will probably also be the end of Manusky as the DC, and possibly the end of the 3-4 defense.

On player personnel matters, the new head coach (probably a seasoned vet) will more than likely demand some ability to have a strong hand in choosing those who will be signed, re-signed, or dumped. So, players currently on the roster will be in a state of uncertainty heading into 2011.

At QB, it appears that not much can be learned from the rest of the season. It is doubtful the Niners will maintain either Smith at the end of the year. Both have exhausted contracts, to my knowledge, and a head coach will surely like to bring in his own QB to run his system. The others would be simply buying time. At RB, the team may keep a 2-back system, or go to a multiple WR set, which eliminates players like Norris having a large role. The 2-TE sets could also be limited in the future. The offensive philosophy under Singletary is to play "smashmouth" football, so is there anything to learn the rest of 2011 if our OC plays a more wide-open style? Do we keep the same personnel, or do we make changes at C, LT, RG?

On defense, the Niners use a 3-4 defense, and Franklin is on a one year contract. If the new coach employs a 4-3, what players would remain from this roster on the DL, and how would this impact the LB core? Finally, the Niners are probably done with Clements, but that will remain in the hands of the HC and DC, who may see him perform better in a cover-2 scheme, or another defensive system.

So, with all the upcoming changes that we will begin to see in 9 weeks, is there much to look forward to until the Niners reset the button. My answer is, no. Fast forward me to early January 2011. Until then, the only thing that really counts is where we will draft.

fast forwad me to 2015 when the stadium deal is delayed another 2 years, denise york is pregnant through her infidelity and jeb looses all his hair and announces that he is in a relationship with brian wilsons friend THE MACHINE. We will bring back dennis erikson as coacn/gm due to noone wanting anything to do with team. Hes the obvious choice with this ownership group.
Originally posted by whatawegot:
I have to eat major crow for my 2009 preseason prediction that this year, the 2010 season, would be the year the Niners returned to the playoff. It is not going to happen. At 2-6, the Niners look to split the final 8 games, and go 6-10 for the season. Some team in the division is going to hit 8-8 or better, even though it looks unlikely at times. Someone will emerge, as they always do, to hit .500. So, to pretend this team has any realistic chance of making the playoffs is silly.

So, where does that leave us? Answer: Back at ground zero again. The team will dump Singletary, and bring in a new head coach. The new head coach will undoubtably bring in a new offensive coordinator, and new offensive system. It will probably also be the end of Manusky as the DC, and possibly the end of the 3-4 defense.

On player personnel matters, the new head coach (probably a seasoned vet) will more than likely demand some ability to have a strong hand in choosing those who will be signed, re-signed, or dumped. So, players currently on the roster will be in a state of uncertainty heading into 2011.

At QB, it appears that not much can be learned from the rest of the season. It is doubtful the Niners will maintain either Smith at the end of the year. Both have exhausted contracts, to my knowledge, and a head coach will surely like to bring in his own QB to run his system. The others would be simply buying time. At RB, the team may keep a 2-back system, or go to a multiple WR set, which eliminates players like Norris having a large role. The 2-TE sets could also be limited in the future. The offensive philosophy under Singletary is to play "smashmouth" football, so is there anything to learn the rest of 2011 if our OC plays a more wide-open style? Do we keep the same personnel, or do we make changes at C, LT, RG?

On defense, the Niners use a 3-4 defense, and Franklin is on a one year contract. If the new coach employs a 4-3, what players would remain from this roster on the DL, and how would this impact the LB core? Finally, the Niners are probably done with Clements, but that will remain in the hands of the HC and DC, who may see him perform better in a cover-2 scheme, or another defensive system.

So, with all the upcoming changes that we will begin to see in 9 weeks, is there much to look forward to until the Niners reset the button. My answer is, no. Fast forward me to early January 2011. Until then, the only thing that really counts is where we will draft.

fast forwad me to 2015 when the stadium deal is delayed another 2 years, denise york is pregnant through her infidelity and jeb looses all his hair and announces that he is in a relationship with brian wilsons friend THE MACHINE. We will bring back dennis erikson as coacn/gm due to noone wanting anything to do with team. Hes the obvious choice with this ownership group.

Any post suggesting, even in jest, that either DE or TDon might come back should result in an immediate banning.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
The season ended when we lost to the Panthers.

Now you can still look forward to watching the games, a new qb, more rookies playing etc..but our chances at the playoffs are done. Though mathematically we're not out of it our team would have to go 6-2 to have any type of chance. When was the last time this team went 6-2 over the span of 8 games?

The only thing positive about this team has only been it's hype, but when it's time to play games we find ways to lose. Until this team SHOWS me otherwise I'm just gonna spend the rest of the season praying we hire a decent HC/OC next year and draft the right QB for us. I've never seen this team be a winner and it's ripped my heart out too many times for me to believe in it blindly anymore.

Good post, MadDog.
Originally posted by pigskin:
MadDog,
Eventhough you were wrong in your 2009 prediction, I thought that thread was way better than this. I am kinda disappointed.

You are not giving any meaningful content here. Your post does not explain why the remaining of this season is pointless, and I also don't see any meaningful prediction.

I know I can't do better, but you should.

If we lose against the Rams, you'll see why the rest of the season is pointless. If Troy does well and we come out with a victory; anythings could happen in this weak-ass division.

Originally posted by redmanc07:

So in a division where we finished 5-1, and 5 games remaining against the West we don't have any hope? With this logic why look forward to the draft. We will most likely screw it up? But before that we will make a mistake in who we hire for HC and GM. Maybe you should change the thread to "Being a 49er fan is pointless." If you think any team on the remainder of the schedule is unbeatable you are looking at the wrong schedule.

You are right that nobody is unbeatable in the NFL, since every team already has a loss on their record. And, anything can happen on any Sunday. That is why it would be highly irregular for a team that has struggled to find a way to win, and consistently throws games away to suddenly get into a strong winning streak.

The nature of the NFL says that even the best of the NFL teams this season will go no better than 6-2 the rest of the way...so why would anyone think the Niners will be the best second half team in the NFL in 2010.
Originally posted by silkyjohnson:
I have to eat major crow for my 2009 preseason prediction that this year, the 2010 season, would be the year the Niners returned to the playoff.

Uhh... doesn't everybody?

Yup.

oh ya? so teams that fall behind by 2.5 gms (gonna be 2 after tomorrow) should just throw in the towel huh?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
The last 8 years have been pointless but we still watch.

Originally posted by 49erFan:
Originally posted by silkyjohnson:
I have to eat major crow for my 2009 preseason prediction that this year, the 2010 season, would be the year the Niners returned to the playoff.

Uhh... doesn't everybody?

Yup.

No....
Originally posted by mug0mug:
This is the wrong time for this thread. If the Niners lose to the Rams next week, then your timing may be right. As it is, it's like another one of the guys from "Not Another Teen Movie," who's constantly trying to start the slow clap.

So many posters want to be able to claim they were the first to "know" the season (or game) is over. It started after the first loss, week one, and happens on a smaller scale during every game. From the first bad play of every Niner game, someone in chat feels the need to let the rest of us know it's, "game over," or, "we lose."

Why the need by so many to try to be the one who "breaks it to the rest of us," that, "we've lost," or "it's over," before it actually happens?

If we do lose to the Rams then things start to look pretty damn bleak and this thread seems a bit more appropriate at that point.
I'll hate to think the players put on the uniform and go out and play thinking its pointless.

I would hate to pay for a 9ers game knowing that its pointless.

Although the season is going bad, theres still a chance. And thats all fans and players need and hold on to right now. One slim chance to make something of the season.
Originally posted by ace49ers:
I'll hate to think the players put on the uniform and go out and play thinking its pointless.

I would hate to pay for a 9ers game knowing that its pointless.

Although the season is going bad, theres still a chance. And thats all fans and players need and hold on to right now. One slim chance to make something of the season.

Yes. Even if the playoffs are out of reach this season the team will be building for next season, or should be.
Originally posted by ObePwnD:

Good post, MadDog.

This post can be used for the past 8 seasons. All our hopes are over before the halfway point. nice.
Share 49ersWebzone