There are 276 users in the forums

The Remainder of the 2010 Season is Pointless

Shop Find 49ers gear online
This is a very young team. I am curious to know how young teams are supposed to develop and mature if half way through the season we throw our hand in and walk away.

Next year, under a new HC and without (hopefully) ongoing qb problems, the experience the likes of Iupati, Davis and Mays will gain during the second half of this season will be invaluable.

But anyone who wants to give up, the door is over there.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I have to eat major crow for my 2009 preseason prediction that this year, the 2010 season, would be the year the Niners returned to the playoff.

Uhh... doesn't everybody?
We are all aware of our teams poor start to the season but we haven't been mathematically elimentated yet have we ????? I am disappointed but I haven't totally given up. When we reach the point of absolutely no chance to make the playoffs then I want to see our young QB's play , and our other rookies get some time on the field.
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
Originally posted by daragon:
Unlike Maddog, I'm a true Niner FAN, and I'm not one to just give up on my team. I'm there for them until the last second of the last game. Go Niners. Some of us still love you and hope for the best. Here's to those who bleed red and gold. To hell with those "fans" who would drop you half way through the season. See what they say when you succeed.

This

Ya your right your just a fan! Maddog like myself are fans and realist no body is telling you not to cheer for your team. They are a bunch of losers ( expect for p-52) who can't win and we have a clown as the ring leader with a philosophy that dates back from the 80's. Yes this season is pointless yes we are only 2 games behind but we can't WIN that's why we aren't going no where this season! Lucky for us our division sucks! It's just gets me that so called FANS!! Are happy getting by just hoping we make it I want us to assembly a Superbowl caliper team not a f**kin weak as team
that we pray and hope gets in the Playoffs but we can't even do that in this weak ass division!!
[ Edited by mrbusinessman499 on Nov 6, 2010 at 5:22 AM ]
Originally posted by mrbusinessman499:
Unlike Maddog, I'm a true Niner FAN, and I'm not one to just give up on my team. I'm there for them until the last second of the last game. Go Niners. Some of us still love you and hope for the best. Here's to those who bleed red and gold. To hell with those "fans" who would drop you half way through the season. See what they say when you succeed.

This

Ya your right your just a fan! Maddog like myself are fans and realist no body is telling you not to cheer for your team. They are a bunch of losers ( expect for p-52) who can't win and we have a clown as the ring leader with a philosophy that dates back from the 80's. Yes this season is pointless yes we are only 2 games behind but we can't WIN that's why we aren't going no where this season! Lucky for us our division sucks! It's just gets me that so called FANS!! Are happy getting by just hoping we make it I want us to assembly a Superbowl caliper team not a f**kin weak as team
that we pray and hope gets in the Playoffs but we can't even do that in this weak ass division!!

this philosophy that you guys hate so much on offense, works for the Jets, raiders, Titans, etc.

Power running, good blocking, put the game in the hands of your defense. (only difference is they have a creative mix of run calls, we have like 6 running plays)
I have to eat major crow for my 2009 preseason prediction that this year, the 2010 season, would be the year the Niners returned to the playoff. It is not going to happen. At 2-6, the Niners look to split the final 8 games, and go 6-10 for the season. Some team in the division is going to hit 8-8 or better, even though it looks unlikely at times. Someone will emerge, as they always do, to hit .500. So, to pretend this team has any realistic chance of making the playoffs is silly.

So, where does that leave us? Answer: Back at ground zero again. The team will dump Singletary, and bring in a new head coach. The new head coach will undoubtably bring in a new offensive coordinator, and new offensive system. It will probably also be the end of Manusky as the DC, and possibly the end of the 3-4 defense.

On player personnel matters, the new head coach (probably a seasoned vet) will more than likely demand some ability to have a strong hand in choosing those who will be signed, re-signed, or dumped. So, players currently on the roster will be in a state of uncertainty heading into 2011.

At QB, it appears that not much can be learned from the rest of the season. It is doubtful the Niners will maintain either Smith at the end of the year. Both have exhausted contracts, to my knowledge, and a head coach will surely like to bring in his own QB to run his system. The others would be simply buying time. At RB, the team may keep a 2-back system, or go to a multiple WR set, which eliminates players like Norris having a large role. The 2-TE sets could also be limited in the future. The offensive philosophy under Singletary is to play "smashmouth" football, so is there anything to learn the rest of 2011 if our OC plays a more wide-open style? Do we keep the same personnel, or do we make changes at C, LT, RG?

On defense, the Niners use a 3-4 defense, and Franklin is on a one year contract. If the new coach employs a 4-3, what players would remain from this roster on the DL, and how would this impact the LB core? Finally, the Niners are probably done with Clements, but that will remain in the hands of the HC and DC, who may see him perform better in a cover-2 scheme, or another defensive system.

So, with all the upcoming changes that we will begin to see in 9 weeks, is there much to look forward to until the Niners reset the button. My answer is, no. Fast forward me to early January 2011. Until then, the only thing that really counts is where we will draft.

This is a great post , and I agree with you 100%.
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Eh, it isn't pointless... I still like to watch my team win games.

As far as using it as any kind of evaluation for the off season? You may be right. It's tough to predict what a new head coach or GM will decide to do. If we hire a GM, they may evaluate the talent on the them and the prospects in free agency and the draft and use that to decide if they have enough talent to warrant making a decision on what coach to bring in based on that coaches knowledge of the scheme that best fits our potential players.

This is really a hard discussion to have in the middle of the season, especially considering the state (or non-state, rather) of the CBA. It could be a VERY bumpy off season, folks. I wouldn't expect business as usual.

Personally, I'm just going to spend the rest of the season enjoying my favorite team play my favorite sport. We don't know for sure what the future holds, so my advice is to enjoy what you can while we have it.

Cough* Pete Carrol!
I have to eat major crow for my 2009 preseason prediction that this year, the 2010 season, would be the year the Niners returned to the playoff. It is not going to happen. At 2-6, the Niners look to split the final 8 games, and go 6-10 for the season. Some team in the division is going to hit 8-8 or better, even though it looks unlikely at times. Someone will emerge, as they always do, to hit .500. So, to pretend this team has any realistic chance of making the playoffs is silly.

So, where does that leave us? Answer: Back at ground zero again. The team will dump Singletary, and bring in a new head coach. The new head coach will undoubtably bring in a new offensive coordinator, and new offensive system. It will probably also be the end of Manusky as the DC, and possibly the end of the 3-4 defense.

On player personnel matters, the new head coach (probably a seasoned vet) will more than likely demand some ability to have a strong hand in choosing those who will be signed, re-signed, or dumped. So, players currently on the roster will be in a state of uncertainty heading into 2011.

At QB, it appears that not much can be learned from the rest of the season. It is doubtful the Niners will maintain either Smith at the end of the year. Both have exhausted contracts, to my knowledge, and a head coach will surely like to bring in his own QB to run his system. The others would be simply buying time. At RB, the team may keep a 2-back system, or go to a multiple WR set, which eliminates players like Norris having a large role. The 2-TE sets could also be limited in the future. The offensive philosophy under Singletary is to play "smashmouth" football, so is there anything to learn the rest of 2011 if our OC plays a more wide-open style? Do we keep the same personnel, or do we make changes at C, LT, RG?

On defense, the Niners use a 3-4 defense, and Franklin is on a one year contract. If the new coach employs a 4-3, what players would remain from this roster on the DL, and how would this impact the LB core? Finally, the Niners are probably done with Clements, but that will remain in the hands of the HC and DC, who may see him perform better in a cover-2 scheme, or another defensive system.

So, with all the upcoming changes that we will begin to see in 9 weeks, is there much to look forward to until the Niners reset the button. My answer is, no. Fast forward me to early January 2011. Until then, the only thing that really counts is where we will draft.

So in a division where we finished 5-1, and 5 games remaining against the West we don't have any hope? With this logic why look forward to the draft. We will most likely screw it up? But before that we will make a mistake in who we hire for HC and GM. Maybe you should change the thread to "Being a 49er fan is pointless." If you think any team on the remainder of the schedule is unbeatable you are looking at the wrong schedule.
There is lots to look forward to with Alex not playing any more...
Originally posted by 49ERwhiner:
We are all aware of our teams poor start to the season but we haven't been mathematically elimentated yet have we ????? I am disappointed but I haven't totally given up. When we reach the point of absolutely no chance to make the playoffs then I want to see our young QB's play , and our other rookies get some time on the field.

no QB + terrible coach = no playoffs

Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Originally posted by mrbusinessman499:

This

this philosophy that you guys hate so much on offense, works for the Jets, raiders, Titans, etc.

Power running, good blocking, put the game in the hands of your defense. (only difference is they have a creative mix of run calls, we have like 6 running plays)

This.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:

Cough* Pete Carrol!

I don't get it.
Originally posted by mug0mug:
This is the wrong time for this thread. If the Niners lose to the Rams next week, then your timing may be right. As it is, it's like another one of the guys from "Not Another Teen Movie," who's constantly trying to start the slow clap.

So many posters want to be able to claim they were the first to "know" the season (or game) is over. It started after the first loss, week one, and happens on a smaller scale during every game. From the first bad play of every Niner game, someone in chat feels the need to let the rest of us know it's, "game over," or, "we lose."

Why the need by so many to try to be the one who "breaks it to the rest of us," that, "we've lost," or "it's over," before it actually happens?

The timing "MAY" be right? You'll still think there's hope to make the playoffs if we lose to the Rams? We are NOT gonna go 7-1 to finish the season.

It's not about being first to say it's over. It's about all of our positive expectations being based on hype and never being backed up on the field. If a team has been a constant loser for nearly a decade, it's not gonna take much for people to view our team's mistakes as more of the same. The performance on the field hasn't given us a reason to think otherwise. I'm sure if this forum had been around in the mid 90's, people would not have started yelling "Bench Young" after an interception.
Originally posted by SJniner7:

Its like a brand new season....
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by DesiDez:
Originally posted by SJniner7:

Its like a brand new season....

Its like a

Share 49ersWebzone