There are 85 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Remainder of the 2010 Season is Pointless

Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
Originally posted by daragon:
Unlike Maddog, I'm a true Niner FAN, and I'm not one to just give up on my team. I'm there for them until the last second of the last game. Go Niners. Some of us still love you and hope for the best. Here's to those who bleed red and gold. To hell with those "fans" who would drop you half way through the season. See what they say when you succeed.

This

Ah the ups and downs of an NFL team. Fans getting restless and moral is down wahdaya gonna do? I just hope we just keep winnning from here on out.
  • obx49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 4,170
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
I find this kind of funny. You start out your post apologizing for your bad preseason prediction and then you move forward and make another prediction. Maybe you should stop while your behind.

I was thinking the same thing as I was reading it.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I have to eat major crow for my 2009 preseason prediction that this year, the 2010 season, would be the year the Niners returned to the playoff. It is not going to happen. At 2-6, the Niners look to split the final 8 games, and go 6-10 for the season. Some team in the division is going to hit 8-8 or better, even though it looks unlikely at times. Someone will emerge, as they always do, to hit .500. So, to pretend this team has any realistic chance of making the playoffs is silly.

So, where does that leave us? Answer: Back at ground zero again. The team will dump Singletary, and bring in a new head coach. The new head coach will undoubtably bring in a new offensive coordinator, and new offensive system. It will probably also be the end of Manusky as the DC, and possibly the end of the 3-4 defense.

On player personnel matters, the new head coach (probably a seasoned vet) will more than likely demand some ability to have a strong hand in choosing those who will be signed, re-signed, or dumped. So, players currently on the roster will be in a state of uncertainty heading into 2011.

At QB, it appears that not much can be learned from the rest of the season. It is doubtful the Niners will maintain either Smith at the end of the year. Both have exhausted contracts, to my knowledge, and a head coach will surely like to bring in his own QB to run his system. The others would be simply buying time. At RB, the team may keep a 2-back system, or go to a multiple WR set, which eliminates players like Norris having a large role. The 2-TE sets could also be limited in the future. The offensive philosophy under Singletary is to play "smashmouth" football, so is there anything to learn the rest of 2011 if our OC plays a more wide-open style? Do we keep the same personnel, or do we make changes at C, LT, RG?

On defense, the Niners use a 3-4 defense, and Franklin is on a one year contract. If the new coach employs a 4-3, what players would remain from this roster on the DL, and how would this impact the LB core? Finally, the Niners are probably done with Clements, but that will remain in the hands of the HC and DC, who may see him perform better in a cover-2 scheme, or another defensive system.

So, with all the upcoming changes that we will begin to see in 9 weeks, is there much to look forward to until the Niners reset the button. My answer is, no. Fast forward me to early January 2011. Until then, the only thing that really counts is where we will draft.

no problem. i've been living off eating crow since the yorks came to town!
Originally posted by obx49:
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
I find this kind of funny. You start out your post apologizing for your bad preseason prediction and then you move forward and make another prediction. Maybe you should stop while your behind.

I was thinking the same thing as I was reading it.

When you throw enough crap at the wall, something's gotta stick eventually.
Now that we all know Singletery is out, I can't help think about what other teams will be looking for a head coach next year and therefore be our competition for signing the best head coach on the market.

I'm sure the Cowboys will be looking for a head coach too, and if a coach had a choice to work for the Yorks in a 100 yr old stadium or high profile, highly publisuzed and top notch stadium, I'm guessing they would choose Dallas.

Let's not forget two year's ago our OC offer got turned down to go to the Lian's!
The remainder of this thread is pointless
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Way to throw in the towel!

BTW, it ain't over until we are mathematically eliminated...

I agree. We aren't as good as we thought...boo hoo. Lets get on the Troy Smith trolly and hope for win after win. NBA is where amazing happens.

NFL is where crazy s**t happens!
  • obx49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 4,170
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by obx49:
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
I find this kind of funny. You start out your post apologizing for your bad preseason prediction and then you move forward and make another prediction. Maybe you should stop while your behind.

I was thinking the same thing as I was reading it.

When you throw enough crap at the wall, something's gotta stick eventually.

lol
Yup it's pointless but what can you do? They have to play it out.

Why do you dislike the LT? He's not perfect but compared with most of the rest of our linemen he's the most consistent guy. The LT is going against the best in the league every week. He's a pretty good player. Although not great.

This team will be in constant rebuild mode until they get an organizational structure in place that makes sense. Like get a Strong GM and take the owners out of all decisions except signing the checks. It's what they say they do now (just sign checks). But they don't. They are involved in choosing HC's and front office guys. And that leads us to the disasters of Erickson, NoWin and Dingleberry. A Strong and Experienced GM would know better. They will continually set us back until we get a better organizational structure in place that makes sense.

[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Nov 5, 2010 at 8:55 PM ]
Originally posted by PlasmaHero:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by PlasmaHero:
We haven't lost a game by more than 3 points since Raye was fired, and you're calling the season OVER?? Give me a break, Troy Smith doesn't even have to get any better than the Broncos game (he will) and we would still be competitive enough to make a run.
Sometimes I think the depression of being 2-6 clouds fans ability to honestly look at how we got there. If ANY team has means, motive, and opportunity to MURDER the competition in second half its us.

1. New QB that has revitalized the offense
2. Offensive Line has continued to improve
3. Both Walker and Davis will be back healthy, that's a devastating 2 TE combo with a good QB
4. Toughest opponents are Bucs and Packers, the Bucs have had to rely on 4th quarter comebacks too often this season, and their last 3 wins haven't been by more than 3 points. Packers have been vulnerable as well, and the only team they've blown out was the Bills in the beginning of the season.

This team is going At LEAST 8-8 and will definitely win the division.

Thanks for visiting us online, Jed.

The Niners are not going 6-2 the rest of the season. They are winless on the road so far (the London game was considered a home game, and the crowd certainly was a home crowd), so why do you automatically think we will win any games on the road.

This season is toast. Unless Singletary becomes the next Bill Walsh......in the next week, the playoffs are a pipe dream.

First off, you and I both know that Falcons game was Won if Nate Clements just goes down, so lets not pretend that we can't win on the road. Second, if Alex Smith doesn't go down with an injury, we don't lose in Carolina either. So thats two road games due to some unfortunate mishaps we lost, but dont make it seem as if we just don't have a chance against anybody on the road. Again... we lost our last two road games by a combined FIVE points.

Let go of the bleakness, everything is pointing to us surging forward in the second half.

You see "ifs", I see losses.

The same "if" game can be played for the two Niners wins, including this past week. If Moreno is not called for that phantom penalty in the backfield, the Niners go down by more than one TD in latter portion of the game, and it is pretty much wrapped.

The bottom line is that "ifs" have zero merit in the NFL, only wins and losses.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Yup it's pointless but what can you do? They have to play it out.

Why do you dislike the LT? He's not perfect but compared with most of the rest of our linemen he's the most consistent guy. The LT is going against the best in the league every week. He's a pretty good player. Although not great.

This team will be in constant rebuild mode until they get an organizational structure in place that makes sense. Like get a Strong GM and take the owners out of all decisions except signing the checks. It's what they say they do now (just sign checks). But they don't. They are involved in choosing HC's and front office guys. And that leads us to the disasters of Erickson, NoWin and Dingleberry. A Strong and Experienced GM would know better. They will continually set us back until we get a better organizational structure in place that makes sense.


I do not dislike the LT, but let's be real, he's average at best for the starting LT in the NFL. If the Niners were on the clock and the best avaliable player is a franchise LT, then the team would be in an interesting spot.

When was the last time this team had an All-Pro OL in the prime of their years?
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by PlasmaHero:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by PlasmaHero:
We haven't lost a game by more than 3 points since Raye was fired, and you're calling the season OVER?? Give me a break, Troy Smith doesn't even have to get any better than the Broncos game (he will) and we would still be competitive enough to make a run.
Sometimes I think the depression of being 2-6 clouds fans ability to honestly look at how we got there. If ANY team has means, motive, and opportunity to MURDER the competition in second half its us.

1. New QB that has revitalized the offense
2. Offensive Line has continued to improve
3. Both Walker and Davis will be back healthy, that's a devastating 2 TE combo with a good QB
4. Toughest opponents are Bucs and Packers, the Bucs have had to rely on 4th quarter comebacks too often this season, and their last 3 wins haven't been by more than 3 points. Packers have been vulnerable as well, and the only team they've blown out was the Bills in the beginning of the season.

This team is going At LEAST 8-8 and will definitely win the division.

Thanks for visiting us online, Jed.

The Niners are not going 6-2 the rest of the season. They are winless on the road so far (the London game was considered a home game, and the crowd certainly was a home crowd), so why do you automatically think we will win any games on the road.

This season is toast. Unless Singletary becomes the next Bill Walsh......in the next week, the playoffs are a pipe dream.

First off, you and I both know that Falcons game was Won if Nate Clements just goes down, so lets not pretend that we can't win on the road. Second, if Alex Smith doesn't go down with an injury, we don't lose in Carolina either. So thats two road games due to some unfortunate mishaps we lost, but dont make it seem as if we just don't have a chance against anybody on the road. Again... we lost our last two road games by a combined FIVE points.

Let go of the bleakness, everything is pointing to us surging forward in the second half.

You see "ifs", I see losses.

The same "if" game can be played for the two Niners wins, including this past week. If Moreno is not called for that phantom penalty in the backfield, the Niners go down by more than one TD in latter portion of the game, and it is pretty much wrapped.

The bottom line is that "ifs" have zero merit in the NFL, only wins and losses.

You however are ruling out all possibilities of us reaching the playoffs, when our play shows we are more than capable of competing with anybody.
A disturbing trend I've noticed with fans is that they dont want their team to struggle. Its either dominate everybody, or the seasons lost. If the players obviously aren't giving up, why do you choose to as a fan? How could you even boast about being a Niner fan if we made the playoffs next year, when you gave up on them 8 games into the season this year?

Just take it one game at a time. Be strong. This team came together in London, why dont you give them a chance to show you what they can do in the second half before writing them off.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Yup it's pointless but what can you do? They have to play it out.

Why do you dislike the LT? He's not perfect but compared with most of the rest of our linemen he's the most consistent guy. The LT is going against the best in the league every week. He's a pretty good player. Although not great.

This team will be in constant rebuild mode until they get an organizational structure in place that makes sense. Like get a Strong GM and take the owners out of all decisions except signing the checks. It's what they say they do now (just sign checks). But they don't. They are involved in choosing HC's and front office guys. And that leads us to the disasters of Erickson, NoWin and Dingleberry. A Strong and Experienced GM would know better. They will continually set us back until we get a better organizational structure in place that makes sense.


I do not dislike the LT, but let's be real, he's average at best for the starting LT in the NFL. If the Niners were on the clock and the best avaliable player is a franchise LT, then the team would be in an interesting spot.

When was the last time this team had an All-Pro OL in the prime of their years?

He's maybe a little above average. But not elite. There are only 3 or 4 elite guys at any given time in the entire NFL. And there are 32 teams. So most don't have an elite guy. They are hard to come by.
This is the wrong time for this thread. If the Niners lose to the Rams next week, then your timing may be right. As it is, it's like another one of the guys from "Not Another Teen Movie," who's constantly trying to start the slow clap.

So many posters want to be able to claim they were the first to "know" the season (or game) is over. It started after the first loss, week one, and happens on a smaller scale during every game. From the first bad play of every Niner game, someone in chat feels the need to let the rest of us know it's, "game over," or, "we lose."

Why the need by so many to try to be the one who "breaks it to the rest of us," that, "we've lost," or "it's over," before it actually happens?
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 8,104
Originally posted by mug0mug:

Why the need by so many to try to be the one who "breaks it to the rest of us," that, "we've lost," or "it's over," before it actually happens?

I'm more emo than you.

::goes back to cutting on self::