LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 254 users in the forums

The Remainder of the 2010 Season is Pointless

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Maddog, your the best. Good on you to admit you got it wrong. Your posts are always informative and fun to read. Good job.
If there is a right decision and a wrong decision, you can count on the Yorks making the wrong one. That is their consistent history. Most of it seems to be explained by trying to save money - hiring unproven GMs and HCs so that they do not have to pay premium salaries. Well, you usually get what you pay for.

The irony of that approach is that when they finally realized how they screwed up, they fired the coach with a few years reamining on his contract. So, in addition to the salary of the new hire, they often had to continue paying the salary of the former. So it really did't save them any money.
2 games back of the division with 8 games to go including 5 division games...yup the remainder of the season sure is pointless.
Originally posted by PlasmaHero:
We haven't lost a game by more than 3 points since Raye was fired, and you're calling the season OVER?? Give me a break, Troy Smith doesn't even have to get any better than the Broncos game (he will) and we would still be competitive enough to make a run.
Sometimes I think the depression of being 2-6 clouds fans ability to honestly look at how we got there. If ANY team has means, motive, and opportunity to MURDER the competition in second half its us.

1. New QB that has revitalized the offense
2. Offensive Line has continued to improve
3. Both Walker and Davis will be back healthy, that's a devastating 2 TE combo with a good QB
4. Toughest opponents are Bucs and Packers, the Bucs have had to rely on 4th quarter comebacks too often this season, and their last 3 wins haven't been by more than 3 points. Packers have been vulnerable as well, and the only team they've blown out was the Bills in the beginning of the season.

This team is going At LEAST 8-8 and will definitely win the division.

When Troy Smith struggles, and it is a WHEN my friend, will you be as loyal? The fact remains he is a 6'0 (at best) quarterback who knows less than 50% of the playbook. When faced with operating the full offense, how will he fare? It remains to be seen.
Were going to win the west .................End of post
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
We haven't lost a game by more than 3 points since Raye was fired, and you're calling the season OVER?? Give me a break, Troy Smith doesn't even have to get any better than the Broncos game (he will) and we would still be competitive enough to make a run.
Sometimes I think the depression of being 2-6 clouds fans ability to honestly look at how we got there. If ANY team has means, motive, and opportunity to MURDER the competition in second half its us.

3. Both Walker and Davis will be back healthy, that's a devastating 2 TE combo with a good QB
4. Toughest opponents are Bucs and Packers, the Bucs have had to rely on 4th quarter comebacks too often this season, and their last 3 wins haven't been by more than 3 points. Packers have been vulnerable as well, and the only team they've blown out was the Bills in the beginning of the season.

Thanks for visiting us online, Jed.

The Niners are not going 6-2 the rest of the season. They are winless on the road so far (the London game was considered a home game, and the crowd certainly was a home crowd), so why do you automatically think we will win any games on the road.

This season is toast. Unless Singletary becomes the next Bill Walsh......in the next week, the playoffs are a pipe dream.

First off, you and I both know that Falcons game was Won if Nate Clements just goes down, so lets not pretend that we can't win on the road. Second, if Alex Smith doesn't go down with an injury, we don't lose in Carolina either. So thats two road games due to some unfortunate mishaps we lost, but dont make it seem as if we just don't have a chance against anybody on the road. Again... we lost our last two road games by a combined FIVE points.

Let go of the bleakness, everything is pointing to us surging forward in the second half.
Originally posted by faithful49erfan:

When Troy Smith struggles, and it is a WHEN my friend, will you be as loyal? The fact remains he is a 6'0 (at best) quarterback who knows less than 50% of the playbook. When faced with operating the full offense, how will he fare? It remains to be seen.

Why wouldn't I be loyal? Look Drew Brees is 6'0 too, so was Jeff Garcia. Don't get caught up looking for the prototypical 6'3 strong armed All american guy. Troy Smith could easily pull off some Flutie magic, and if he's doing this good with a limited playbook, I can only forsee things getting better. Sure he might not have a qb rating over 100 every game, but after his first few passes, I finally lost a little of the anxiety that I always had whenever Alex Smith dropped back to pass, didn't you?
Originally posted by faithful49erfan:

Troy Smith's height didn't affect his ability to throw the ball in college or thus far in the pros. As for only knowing 50% of the playbook, where did you read this information or are you pulling "facts" out of your ass? Even if Troy did only know 50% of the playbook it is not like the 49ers are utilizing an extreme amount of creativity in play calling to begin with. It's not that hard to call gore up the gut 3 times in a row then trot off of the field for the punting unit.
Originally posted by pigskin:
MadDog,
Eventhough you were wrong in your 2009 prediction, I thought that thread was way better than this. I am kinda disappointed.

You are not giving any meaningful content here. Your post does not explain why the remaining of this season is pointless, and I also don't see any meaningful prediction.

I know I can't do better, but you should.

The reason why the rest of the season is pointless is:
1. The team is not going to the playoff
2. There is nothing to build upon, since the coaching staff is going to be fired
3. The new staff will select players that fit their scheme, which will probably be different than our scheme.

So, take for example: Let's say that Manny Lawson finishes strong, and people are excited about his return in 2011. However, the new coaching staff may feel he is not a fit in a 4-3 scheme, and let him walk away.

Or, let's say that Troy Smith plays pretty well, and we say, "Here is our QB of the future.' Not so fast. The new staff may feel that he will not play well in their scheme (7 step vertical game...Mike Martz offense, or a West Coast offense, etc.).

Or, we see a nice improvement in Taylor Mays as he plays closer to the line of scrimmage, but next year we change to a Cover-2 scheme. So, what's the point of being excited in 2010, when everything could change in 2011.

I guess the only concession I might make, as JimBagg wisely stated, is the development of the offensive line. That will be huge in 2011. Even then, we may change to a zone blocking scheme, and our OL could go through another retooling.

These are the players the new coaching staff can choose to build upon. That is more than nothing in itself. But there is much more to this. The majority of the players will be with the team next season for obvious reasons. So their play and development for the remainder of the season will also factor in on how much change will be made to this team.

The OL is a good example, but there are others as well. I am interested in knowing:
1) WRs: Are our WRs good enough? The current answer is no, but how bad? I don't know because they need more balls thrown to them to develop properly.
2) QBs: Is Troy Smith good enough to be a #2, or we are going to need 2 new QBs?
3) RB: Can Dixon backup Gore? He seems inconsistent out there, so perhaps he needs more carries to get into a groove. Or perhaps he is just not good?
4) LB: Can Bowman replace Spikes? It is a mixed bag to me right now because he is another young, inconsistent player. Lawson is our best OLB, so I don't mind going to 4:3.
5) DB: Mays or no Mays? I'd like to see if he can cover by season end.

Again, not everything will change by 2011. Book it!
Unlike Maddog, I'm a true Niner FAN, and I'm not one to just give up on my team. I'm there for them until the last second of the last game. Go Niners. Some of us still love you and hope for the best. Here's to those who bleed red and gold. To hell with those "fans" who would drop you half way through the season. See what they say when you succeed.

depressing f**king thread
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
I think the Niners throw a lot of money in the direction of Gruden, and keep Baalke in his current role.

Gruden is a big fan of Alex Smith (he tried to trade up from the fifth pick to the first overall to get him in 2005), but I still think the Niners go QB with their first round selection.

It's probably more accurate now to say that Gruden WAS a big fan of Alex Smith back in 2005. Probably not so much now.

He actually was praising him again this year. He praised Alex and all the players as talented.

But I agree with Mad.

But I hope it isn't pointless

Sure, when a guy makes plays in a football game, he will get praised by the announcers. That doesn't automatically mean though as a head coach, he would be willing to bank his reputation (not to mention his job) on the guy.

Obviously, two very different things.

And they def. aren't going to say "this guy flat out sucks, 6 year in the league and he hasn't done squat".

Though the call of the game could a lot more entertaining if they started doing that.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:

I dunno, this thread kind've makes me wanna masturbate, in the 'dirty' kind of way.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:

I dunno, this thread kind've makes me wanna masturbate, in the 'dirty' kind of way.

I've done it 3 times
Originally posted by daragon:
Unlike Maddog, I'm a true Niner FAN, and I'm not one to just give up on my team. I'm there for them until the last second of the last game. Go Niners. Some of us still love you and hope for the best. Here's to those who bleed red and gold. To hell with those "fans" who would drop you half way through the season. See what they say when you succeed.

This
Share 49ersWebzone